Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Kevin's 2000 RS Build

18K views 168 replies 22 participants last post by  clsmooth 
#1 · (Edited)
Greetings. This thread has been a while coming but I figured now as as good a time as any to begin as I have finally finished repairing my Outback Sport and am able to focus more on my RS. A little history: I purchased this car approximately 2 years ago following the sale of my 2004 WRX. I used the bulk of the proceeds to pay off outstanding medical bills and subsequently had enough left over to buy the RS. Some of you may recall I had a for sale feeler thread related to financial uncertainty a while back. Luckily fate has seen fit to allow me keep the RS and begin work. This is a 2000 Subaru Impreza RS 2.5 Coupe with 135,000 miles on the clock. She originally hails from Tennessee and then moved to Virginia sometime in 2015. I drove to Virginia in May 2017 and brought her back to NY 2 years ago. The car was subsequently stored during winter and has never seen western New York snow or salt. The body is immaculate - no rust, no holes, undercarriage and engine bay are exceptionally clean.

The head gaskets, timing, and all related engine seals and oil pan were addressed at approximately 120,000 miles. The original owner provided me with parts receipts.

I recently replaced all wiper linkage w/ factory Subaru parts which I have receipts for. Windshield was replaced approximately 2 years ago along w/ factory exterior dash cowell, upper front and rear exterior windshield trim, bilateral exterior roof rail trim pieces, and sunroof seal (all OEM Subaru parts).

I currently have a shitload of parts that I have accumulated over the past few years that are currently awaiting install. These parts include:

Delta 1500 cams
Delicious Tuning 2.1 ECU (recent reflash that includes cat delete fix)
Stromung exhaust - straight pipe, resonator, and muffler
Borla rep ceramic coated headers

JDM Type RA 5 speed transmission (Trans Code: TY754VB1BA)
JDM 4.44 Suretrac rear differential
03 Exedy WRX clutch kit, slave cylinder, hydraulic lines

Prodrive GC-010E forged 17x7.5 wheels (recently powder-coated Hyper-black)
Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position tires 215/45/17
2007 WRX 4 pot / 2 pot front and rear calipers
Complete set stainless brake lines

Complete F/R KYB AGX shocks
Eibach P11L springs (complete set F/R)
Group N rear strut mounts
KYB front strut mounts

Mint condition JDM V6 front and matching rear seat (seat back and bench)
JDM V6 aluminum hood (brand new in box, no paint)
JDM V5/V6 front grille
V6 JDM rear spats
JDM clear side markers
JDM flat fuel door kit

Current wishlist parts that I am on the hunt for:
JDM V5/V6 STi coupe door cards / interior
JDM V5/V6 rear bumper cover
JDM clear tail lights
STi or comparable steering wheel

Updates will probably be slow due to my hectic work schedule but I will do my best for anyone interested.

[/url][/IMG]

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Here are a few before and after powder-coating pics of the Prodrive wheels. It may be difficult to make out, but there was a decent amount of curb rash to all 4 wheels prior to powder-coating. All curb rash and blemishes were fixed and are now in pristine shape.
Before:

After:

I am in need of center caps for these wheels. External diameter is 65 mm and internal diameter where the center cap squeeze tabs sit is 60 mm. If anyone has links or location where I can get a suitable replacement (ie: Prodrive, STi, or maybe even Subaru center caps, I'm open to suggestion.) Subsequent internet searches for replacements has been difficult due to many sites not listing this specific wheel or center cap diameter measurements.

#5 · (Edited)
I actually have the aluminum center caps for these wheels. They're scuffed and beat to shit and the Prodrive logos are faded / clouded. I found an ebay seller that had some of the newer style Prodive adhesive logos in the correct diameter and ordered them. The guy that powdercoated my wheels still has color left. I think I'm going to have him powdercoat the center caps to match if it isn't too expensive, pop out the old logo "stickers," and replace them with new ones. I'll update when I get them done. Thanks for the links though.

#6 ·
Haven't updated this in a while, but here goes. I should be receiving a full black WRX carpet. The shipper at the Suby parts place I ordered it from confirmed the color prior to shipping. The inside of my car is a little beat and I am OCD about my cars. I also have an extra set of coupe door cards that I am going to attempt to revitalize. I think I'm going to enlist the help of some of the products from Zealous interiors for this to make the interior as new as possible. The car should be going to paint in the next 2 weeks for a full respray - all trim off, door jambs, door backs, trunk, sunroof out, and the JDM aluminum hood and 22b replica hood vents. I also picked up a JDM flat fuel door kit. With the full respray I'm going to have a silver closer to my past 05 WRX PSM as opposed to the current ODM STM - I'm not really a fan of the silver-champagne color of the STM. At least this way the engine bay can be left alone and will match the rest of the car fairly closely. She'll be in the garage for the winter after that and it'll give me time to focus on replacing the whole suspension, rear wheel bearings, and money allowing, installation of the 4 pot / 2 pot brake set up. I'll try to get some before, during, and after pics of the paint process. I'll also get a pic or 2 of the wheels with the center caps and new Prodrive logos as well.

#7 · (Edited)
#10 ·
I bought the hood from General Motors Parts Online. I think they made an error - I only paid ~ $400 shipped to my house. I believe that the website changed it's name due to a conflict with actual GM licensing or something. I have no idea what they're called or if the site is even active anymore, unfortunately. hey always had good pricing on OEM Subaru shit. As far as a turbo swap...maybe in the distant future. For now I'm going to focus on the Delta cams, suspension, and RA driveline. I'm excited about a simpler NA car. I love diving this car as is - I guess the purity of it? Ya know?

#12 ·
Here's a few pre-paint prep work that I grabbed when I went to discuss color the other day. I really wanted a Rally Blue but went with my alternate - silver. I couldn't stand the thought of the engine bay and other bits not matching the rest of the car. At least this way it'll be pretty damn close. I forget the paint code I chose but there were 2 different silvers that Subaru offered from 2004 on - a "smoothe" silver and a "grittier" silver with more flake. I went with the grittier one. Anyway, here ya go...
0 by Kevin Bugman, on Flickr
0-2 by Kevin Bugman, on Flickr
0-1 by Kevin Bugman, on Flickr

#13 ·
I also picked a few items up that will be replaced upon reassembly - JDM clear tail lights, clear corners and clear side markers. They're going to see about mounting the rear spats as well. I also have a JDM flat fuel door kit and metal mesh fog light covers.

#14 ·
Got a text from the man working on my car, inviting me to take a peek at the auto body progress thus far. Doors, aluminum hood, and fenders are painted. This is better than Christmas morning for me...I'm absolutely loving this color silver! Can't wait til she's reassembled and I can see her in all her splendor under natural light. Main body should be going in the booth today. Here's a few pics:
IMG_0401 by Kevin Bugman, on Flickr
IMG_0391 by Kevin Bugman, on Flickr
IMG_0392 by Kevin Bugman, on Flickr
IMG_0393 by Kevin Bugman, on Flickr
IMG_0394 by Kevin Bugman, on Flickr
IMG_0397 by Kevin Bugman, on Flickr
IMG_0395 by Kevin Bugman, on Flickr
IMG_0387 by Kevin Bugman, on Flickr
IMG_0388 by Kevin Bugman, on Flickr
IMG_0390 by Kevin Bugman, on Flickr

#16 ·
Thanks! They're starting reassembly and I really need to get some pics. I guess the JDM tail lights are in, rear bumper cover, hood, fenders, and doors are back on the car. Flat fuel door and cable have been run but the fuel door doesn't quite sit correctly when closed - it seems slightly raised off the quarter panel, not flush. I've looked at it several times and can't figure out why the hell it's not sitting right when closed. The latch and recently run cable release function smoothly and effortlessly. I have a plastic / urethane flat door that I'm gonna try putting on to see if it sits any differently when closed. Quarter glass and all window trim are back on and look great. Sunroof and new exterior seal are also back on the car. Still waiting for paint on the front bumper cover and trunk. I had them remove the rear spoiler and fill the trunk lid spoiler mounting holes - still needs some finishing then paint. I'm excited about that smooth, clean look.

#20 ·
I had an extra JDM flat fuel door that was made of polyurethane / plastic. I bought a flat fuel door kit from Rallispec. The metal door that came with the kit didn't sit flush against the body when closed but apparently the plastic one fit perfectly. I'd rather have the metal one but I guess ultimately it doesn't matter if one of em fits right. The rear spats and aero guards are gonna have to wait until I can locate a JDM rear bumper cover. I didn't do anything to modify the spats to fit the OEM cover prior to dropping the car off and wasn't gonna ask the shop to attempt of and rack up another bunch of money to get my car back. I'll just hang on to the parts and put them on at later date. Need to get some update pics.

#21 ·
#22 ·
Every piece of exterior trim was either replaced with new OEM pieces or restored to look like new - they even painted the windshield wiper stalks, hood vent undertrays, and brand new OEM black carpet was installed. Also installed clear JDM tail lights, side, and bumper corner markers. I still have the aero guards and spats but I'm gonna wait on those until I can secure a smooth JDM rear bumper. As soon as I get her home and in the garage I'm gonna replace the shocks, springs, and mounts then install the V6 seats and get rid of the driver A pillar antenna with a delete.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.