Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

4 dr widebody ej257 'GCUL8R' Marc's diy Bluebaru home brew

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  MarcSubiRSti 
#1 · (Edited)
So.. hey yall. I love reading all the member journals and seeing diy projects and fabrication ideas. Also the top quality and low cost builds are super fun and interesting in all aspects of individualism. It's Inspired me to post up some of my progress on my personal project.
First off im not a mechanic or electric or tuning guy.. I'm an artist as a profession but have tried to use everything i know from art school as well as my knowledge working as a gas station attendant in the past, and owning several rwd and 4wd platforms growing up. Every nissan S13 body style. An outback sport and a 97 L sedan. Z32. 2 Miatas. Eg si. Prelude . Integra. Etcetc.. also initial d. Option hot version. And Japanese supermarkets showed me that JDM life.
Either way.. here's how i found my boobaru.
My craigslist project
This is her in her current state. After almost a year with me garage kept. Undriven... but we'll get to that... enjoy

Also.. her craigslist info

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Details of the build so far

I got her like this on September 9th 2017 ??
I just realized its been over a year since ive had my Subie hibernating in my parents garage! Thx mom n dad ?. [IMGhttp://imgur.com/uNrKCk5[/IMG]
Picked her up with several interesting additions.
Info from craigslist
2000 impreza Rs
RBP <rally blue pearl>
Ej257 engine trans drivetrain susp +
V3 access port
GT30r turbo
Perrin DP/headers
Tial 44mm bov
External wastegate
Element air oil seperator
iag tgv deletes
Fuel pressure regulator
Fuel Rails 1000cc top feed injectors
Speed density sensor <many installs and tuned at Prime Motoring in 2017. JR tuned
ACT stage 3 clutch
HKS Carbon Ti exhaust
Gold Brembo brakes
Wrx blue front and rear seats

Leeloo dog .. she says woof. I loves me a woofaru! Subiedoobiedoo.
And... the rust nightmare ... ?

I already started the cutting since i couldn't believe how easy the rocker panel fell apart. Oh boy.. in for a penny in for a pound..
Love.. it's what makes a Subaru right? :projectsti.com:

#6 ·
Cuttin welding and getting broken things

So i decided to go right into the rust removal. It looked like water got in the rocker panel and driver side floor panels. Perhaps methinks a previous underbody or side impact created these stress points that allowed water in. But im no mechanic or proper fabricator... so lets figure it out..
This is after hacking up the rust on the passenger rocker panel.

Inner passenger holes

Test fitting hand bent steel :blol:

And all welded in and grinded down cuz im still on a flux core welder and have soooo mandy slags of metal on my welds.
Anyway.. if i didnt mention.. I'm so amateur and need better tools and nicer weather.

Also got my cheap VSAero 4 door widebody addons..
i just wanna cry ???

#7 ·
Cutting welding crying. P1 lip and wide overfenders?

To think she was this simple at one point. Wasnt feelin that home depot hard lip. Although interesting and quite strong.. i wasnt feelin that race car rivet look.

.. back to the few weeks after receiving her..
I tackled the rust right away restoring patches and building what panels i could for the rocker panel. I didn't worry about it being 100% perfect because the side skirts were going over it. But that's also just me being lazy...i did fill all the holes:mamoru:
And i ground down all my slag as usual.. what a double job...:unamused:

Cut weld grind.. possibly weld some more and grind some more.. :curse:
Just test fitting on the rear fenders.. cuz theyre gettin bolted and attached.
Since the fronts were broken in corners and even in 1/2 practically.. i just made overfenders out of them and reinforced what i could.
By the stage of this photo i test fitted a P1 lip and already put some shtuff on the rear fender to fix it on.

#8 · (Edited)
More bonding more

So.. i riveted her parts on and started my reinforced fiberglassing. It says theres hair in it to make it stronger. And its a fiberglass paste more than anything. Its tough..
Here ive already sanded her down some.

Checkout my dirts aš§ brembos.. they squeal nice tho. Is that why subaru uses that pig logo?
she needs a cleanup. Still has the rota torque 17x8 on em with newer tires too. I ended up with some lowballer xxr's :run:
Heres the extension i built to swing out the rear skirt. Its actually a 1" flat bar i bent into shape for the frame and skinned with metal. I never thought id still be fabricating stuff let alone partially rebuilding a frame rail. But although it makes the rear skirt have a shelf..i really enjoy the wide look of it and the use of stock parts.

Also.. got around to bonding and glassing the fenders.. bondoed and test fitting that replica Cwest front lip

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.