Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Terry's Tube-a-Ruu 400hp Exotruck

242K views 2K replies 58 participants last post by  22bster 
#1 · (Edited)
My 98 Forester is rusting bad. But rather than buy another shell to swap my motor into. Im going to just build a tube car around the Forester drivetrain. I have started to tear apart the car. Everything from the drivetrain will be used. For now even the stock gas tank, suspension and crossmembers will be used as my initial focus will be to get PA tags and registration for it to make it STREET LEGAL. The end goal is a 400whp AWD Street buggy. It will also give me lots of future things to do. Like a finished project thats never finished.

Old Thread Terry's 415whp Forester diy budget build. About to be retired. - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Current situation - Prepping for Road Course awesomeness

Driveline Specs:
Ej206 Stock longblock
2.5i Manifold
IAG Rails with 950cc injectors
Aeromotive FPR, set to 55psi base
Walbro 450
Legacy Outback 5mt
Southbend Stage 3 Ceramic Clutch
Borg Warner S252sx-e Turbo
Perrin FMIC
3" TBE to a Magnaflow Camaro Muffler
AWD
05 impreza 2.5rs front axles because shorter

Wish List:
92mm forged slugs
H-beam rods
Group N Motor Mounts
TS Rear Diff Mounts
Hydraulic Hand brake
265/35-18 Stickies
6 speed, derrrr

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Construction

Majority of frame is 1.66 OD x .140 Wall A500 GrC 1020 ERW tubing. Went with this size because we use it a lot at work to build safety railings and things. It has 10-15% less tensile strength than 1020 DOM but im using 50% more wall thickness so it should be in theory, stronger.

I petty much just layed out drivetrain back to spec where it would be in a subaru chassis and connected the dots. Few things where changed like the rear trailing arms and the rear diff mount to better fit the chassis.

#4 · (Edited)
August 10, 2018

I begin process for applying for a Specially Constructed Vehicle title. PennDot mandates any vehicle applying for a reconstructed, modified, special construction etc title first be inspected as road worthy by an "Enhanced Inspection Station". They have a list on their website and i called around trying to determine where i should go based on the guy on the phones understanding of the vehicle code. Since most vehicles using this process are applying for reconstructed titles (cars that may have been totaled hitting a deer and have been bought back and repaired), the mechanics dont really know whats required to be road legal, they just assume it should look like a car again. Well we arent building Nissan Altimas so I had to find an "open minded" type of guy.

My search landed me at Schneider's Trucks in McKees Rocks. Jim was an experienced mechanic and was never pessimistic. We went over the construction, lights, and safety without getting into all tiniest details. We agreed it was well built and road worthy, he even mentioned it road nicer than a lot of production cars. We then sat down and filled out an MV-426B, this is the form he's responsible for in letting Penndot know the vehicle was inspected to meet code. I passed his inspection but doesnt mean I'm in the clear. PennDot reviews the photos that he takes, signs, and dates submitted with the MV-426B to see if he "missed" anything. There was some confusion on the MV426, we didnt really know what to check in the repaired/replaced section so he only checked off suspension? And for GRVW, we entered 3000 pounds. The truck empty was 2400 pounds.

I trailered Exotruck back home since it was raining here and there and i didnt want stuck in it. Then I took my paper work to the notary Jim recommended, Frags Tags in Coraopolis Pa.
Paperwork being:
new completed MV-426B, the Photos, a weight slip (needed because mines a "truck") i got at ABC Recycling next door, My Subaru forester clean title, my build cost recap sheet with parts cost broken out showing what i have and have not paid taxes on, and all the receipts for the parts. And a copy of my drivers licence and current vehicle insurance card.

At the notary we went over the papers, briefly. I think this process went quickly because i had a broken down recap sheet of all my parts (over $20) and how tax was paid. At the bottom was totals and stapled behind the recap sheet was all my receipts. Mostly internet sheets form Summit Racing and other on line retails. I also included the orders for steel from Alro showing I purchased them and i paid tax. I could have either chosen "passenger car" or "truck". We chose truck because the penndot lady asked for a weight slip because i mentioned it looked like a truck, and it sorta says Exotruck on the tailgate. He then filled out the paper MV-1, this is the actual application form to apply for a title. This same form applies for a registration. The registration is what gets you a license plate and one year worth the street rental. He added up my build cost, applied 7% tax, gave me a tax credit for what i already paid in tax, tacked on the truck registration fee $62 and some other fees and $401.40 later he took all my papers and mailed them, in to Penndot. Then said have a nice day if theres an issuer ill call you, if not expect your plate in the mail in 3 weeks.

IF the plate comes, i still have to get my window sticker on, this is the standard PA inspection sticker showing cars been road worthy tested at a inspection station. This is a separate but very similar inspection to the Enhance inspection.

Got a call from garage. They said PennDOT called him with lots of questions.

They have issues with my glass. They want it to say AS1
They have issues with my polycarbonate panels. They think they offer little protection. I guess leather chaps on a bike are better.
They cant see my license plate lights
They want to know how i calculated my GVWR
And she said it sounds like a motorcycle, so apparently they are look me up online.

I'm less than happy right now.

I spoke to PennDOT yesterday. At this point they are only requesting a cert from the glass cutter. He sent me a cert for the AS1 ANSI Z26.1 but it wasnt signed. This morning I'm going to walk over and ask him to sign it. After that i will take it up to my local State Rep and have them deliver it to the address the PennDOT woman gave me.

She mentioned yesterday that the supervisor has the rest of my papers and is reviewing them with an engineer.

Got a call from the man himself. The supervisor and an engineer/quality official are going to drive out to Pittsburgh on September 7th to take a personal look at the truck. I'm actually looking forward to it, I feel like I did a quality job and I would like them to see that. Just gotta fix my horn lol. I only know of one other build that got a personal visit and that was the ShopperChopper giant grocery cart. The DMV guy said it was somewhat common though, so there must be a lot of off grid builds out there.

Met at shop again with a PennDOT QOA guy. The head guy from Harrisburg did not come like I had thought. This guy had a very detailed secret check list. My decision to throw a window washer in paid off since that was on his list. I don't think I missed anything. His only concern was my big hose clamp type battery hold down, and that he thought a heat sheild between tail pipe and fuel fill may be a good idea. He also asked again for the AS1 window cert. He took lots of photos of brakes, wiring, engine, dot markings on lights. Overall he said he liked it and it was much better built that a rat rod. But he also said his opinion means nothing.

He'll do his report and then someone in Harrisburg will review it and either title it or let me know if I need to change anything.

To be continued.....

Letter received from PennDOT with the recap from QOA inspection. Items to address:

-I need a cover over battery cable that runs by passengers foot. Easy fix. Done
-I need a heat shield on tailpipe as it runs past fuel fill tube. Easy fix.
-I need better visibility to side markers and reflectors. Going to just buy 4 more markers with built in reflectors and mount them on each side corner.
-Need an approved battery hold down. Hose clamp aint going to cut it. Easy fix, i have one just need to install it.
-Fender rubbed on tire at full lock over curb. Easy fix, increase ride height. Done. I have coilover suspension.

I'll go get lights here shortly and install them tonight along with battery mount and heat shield. I pretty much begged him not to make me trailer my car back to garage and im waiting to hear what he has to say about that.

to be continued...

Met again at shop. QOA Inspector please with updates. Commented that i should be getting something very soon. I assumed he meant title.

Got an email this morning

10/14/18

Got home last night from vacation and everything was there. No longer waiting on the state to drive my creation. Now im waiting on Grundy lol.

Got the VIN plate, Title, and Registration and Plate came in same envelope. ISC also sent my a congrats package too.

#8 ·
Just adding some constructive criticism. Please make a balsa wood replica of your frame before you start cutting any metal. It will teach you a lot when you put some sort of load onto the actual car.

Also you will want to add some triangulation to your side impact "structure" as you have two hard points going into the center of the angled tube which means that angled tube is going to fold like a cheap suit if any sort of force is put on it.

Luckily, the suspension is pretty much done for you so the hard part is out of the way and you are just trying to connect the dots.

Good luck and have fun, but most importantly be safe!

#13 ·
This is the new look I'm going for. Works well with the motor layout and suspension. The rear will be a little different since i have mcphersons back there too, ill just use the space to install a small plastic bed with a big ass spoiler above it

#17 ·
Ok, i coped a pipe. The stupid Wen drill press came in with a 1.81" column diameter. I, the king of metal, cant get that size, not even in metric. So i had to make one to make the drill press tall enough tp fit the tube notcher.

So an 1 1/2" pipe went on the lathe and after 3 hours i turnedvit down from 1.9" od to 1.81...ish od.

Then i put it all together

And there ya have it. Thats a full depth cut, im gonna cut it so there less point and leave a flat area to get a decent fillet weld around point

#19 ·
Me too. I should be able to pick up first batch of pipe next week. Gonna take a while, and nervous about passing inspection for title. PA has no published criteria for anything. Even the enhanced inspection guy cant tell me for sure if it needs doors or what body panels. It really comes down to personal preference of a lady in the state dmv office if my creation can get a license plate or not. All i can do is include a sample or two of an exocet or something thats already been approved