EJ18-T Project: Turbo oil/coolant/vacuum line questions - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
EJ18-T Project: Turbo oil/coolant/vacuum line questions

Old 10-20-2017, 03:01 PM   #1
SucculentBass
1.8L

Car: Aqua Frost 1993 Impreza L RWD
Fav Mod: FMIC ran under headlights
Trader Rating: (0)
Default EJ18-T Project: Turbo oil/coolant/vacuum line questions

Hello everyone, I'm making this post mostly to document my project progress, but also to ask a few questions and see if there are better ideas out there.

Last December I sold my 97 Legacy GT and bought a 93 Impreza L with 123K miles on it. I have since had the entire drivetrain out for one reason or another, and made a few changes to it.

Mods:
-RWD conversion: welded center diff, removed front axles
-Stoptech rotors/pads/SS brake lines from a 2005 Legacy GT
-LSD R160 from an RS (4.111 FD)
-KYB AGX struts with Tanabe GF210 springs
-Rota SDR 17x7.5" wheels with Nitto 215 45R17's
-Power steering delete with modified rack

After a year of beating on it relentlessly I decided I wanted to add some boost. So I bought a running EJ18E with a bolt-on turbo kit from a friend, and have been looking it over for some time now. The setup I purchased was running a rotated TD04L with a bad wastegate, gaping pre-turbo exhaust leaks, a "custom" TMIC only running half the intercooler, and it still made boost. After seeing that mess I decided that when I do this, I'm going to do it right.

Acquired parts list:
-Techworks Engineering equal length headers
-Subachad up/down pipe
-TD04L-13T
-Front mount intercooler
-Random 2.5" intercooler pipes
-Spare EJ18E (just because)
-Boost gauge

To buy list:
-Exhaust gasket kit
-MSD 8239
-One step colder plugs and plug wires
-Turbo/up pipe bracket
-Have valve cover modified for oil drain line
-Other intercooler pipes if I don't have what I need
-T-bolt clamps and silicone couplers
-Coolant lines
-Turbo drain line
-3" cat-back

I have pretty much everything sorted out at this point other than what lines I am going to run and where. I know I need a braided turbo feed line, and I'm planning on running it from either a spare port on the block or buy a tee for the oil pressure switch. I have 2 different braided lines, both for a TD04 so one of those should work.

For the oil return line, I just don't know what kind of line would be good to use for a while without having it break down. I'm open to recommendations.

For the coolant feed/return lines, I am planning on tapping into the heater hoses going into the firewall, but I am wondering if anyone has a good recommendation on how to go about this. Should I get 2 T fittings?

I know the vacuum lines are simple, but I figured I would ask just to have it written down. How should I run my vacuum lines from my turbo? I know how I'm going to run my boost gauge, but I'm not entirely sure where the other ones need to go.

Last edited by SucculentBass; 10-27-2017 at 07:34 AM..
SucculentBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2017, 10:03 PM   #2
AjL227
2.0L

Car: 2000 RS-T coupe
Fav Mod: Open BPV
Trader Rating: (5)

I'm in the middle of adding a TD04 on my EJ251.

I have a braided line for my feed (T'd with the psi switch) & return, however due to routing I think it is easier and more effective to plump it straight down past the engine mount, into the oil pan.

I already have two brass T's from Home Depot (5/8" 5/8" 1/2") plumped into my heater core lines and currently just have the 1/2" feed and return ends looped for now.

My boost gauge is T'd off the very top manifold nipple that feeds into the EVAP purge solenoid, and the turbo nipple is just straight connected onto the wastegate, since I have no boost control solenoid.
AjL227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:19 AM   #3
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

Fav Mod: BOOOOOOST!!
Trader Rating: (75)

for the coolant, just take one of the coolant lines off the heater core, plug it onto the turbo. then take another line and put it from turbo to coolant cross over. one line from crossover stays put. you're basically putting the turbo in the way of one of the lines. crossover>heatercore>heatercor e>turbo>crossover. big circle of coolant.

as for oil, any oil rated rubber tubing will work. just make sure it's going down hill to where ever you're routing it to. ie: oil pan or valve cover.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:55 AM   #4
NemeGuero
3.3L

Car: 95 impreza wagon
Trader Rating: (11)

I'd T from the oil pressure sender.

I used a steel braided line for the return because of how close it is to the uppipe (heat) and because AN fittings make me happy.

Do what George said for the coolant, I just plugged the coolant ports and am running oil cooled only.

As for vacuum lines, the one to your wastegate comes from as close to the turbo outlet as possible. Blow off valve needs to get its vacuum AFTER the throttle plate on the intake manifold. Same for boost gauge.
NemeGuero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:18 PM   #5
SucculentBass
1.8L

Thank for the input guys, this definitely gives me peace of mind. I'm planning on cutting up my bumper beam this weekend and mounting my intercooler so I can figure out the intercooler piping. I'll post some pictures of the scamry here soon.

You're running an oil cooled TD04L? How is that working for you? I've thought of it myself but I didn't want to try it unless I had seen it before.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:36 PM   #6
SucculentBass
1.8L

Here are just a couple pictures to meet your daily aqua frost quota.
Attached Thumbnails
EJ18-T Project: Turbo oil/coolant/vacuum line questions-edited-4.jpg  

Last edited by SucculentBass; 01-29-2018 at 03:57 PM..
Old 10-23-2017, 03:43 PM   #7
NemeGuero
3.3L

It runs fine for me, just make sure you don't shut the car off immediately after boosting the heck out of it.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:17 PM   #8
SucculentBass
1.8L

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemeGuero View Post
It runs fine for me, just make sure you don't shut the car off immediately after boosting the heck out of it.
Yeah that makes sense. What is your setup?
Old 10-24-2017, 08:58 AM   #9
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

Fav Mod: BOOOOOOST!!
Trader Rating: (75)

i meant to mention it up there in my post; regarding oil. i had issues where the rear port would not allow the system to build enough oil pressure when tapped into that port. this could have been a two fold issue for me though that i fixed all at the same time so i'm not sure which was which. either the oil pump was going out, or the oil feed was too long for the rear port. changed both the pump and the feed location and the issue went away.

what i did (can't show pics becuase fucking photobucket) was T the front port under the alt for oil feed and an aem pressure sensor. made a small jumper harness and put the OE sensor in the rear port under the mani. never see less than 12-15psi at idle, cold start in 80's, on boost in the 50's.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:10 AM   #10
NemeGuero
3.3L

td04 with 5 psi
Neme-WAAGUUNN EJ18t

complete parts list