Trevor's 2000 RS Coupe Project - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Trevor's 2000 RS Coupe Project

Old 09-07-2017, 11:10 PM   #1
FXTrev
2.5L

Fav Mod: Suspension
Trader Rating: (0)
Default Trevor's 2000 RS Coupe Project

I've been a long time lurker on here, but finally picked up a 2000 STM RS coupe a couple weeks ago from @onefasazn. I also own a 2005 Forester XT with a lot of STI goodies, but bought this RS with aspirations of an STI swap. I've wanted an early Impreza for a long time now, even before I bought my FXT.

The end goal for the RS is a full STI swap minus GD dash, but for now it's pretty rough around the edges. Headgaskets need replacing, both corner lights are cracked, dent in the RH fender where it meets corner light, clear coat peeling on roof and spoiler, large dent behind the passenger door. passenger seat looks like someone threw up in it, and a few other things.. The good thing is that there's absolutely no rust as this car has been in CA all its life. That was my number one concern when searching for a car.

My plans for now are to pull the motor (which will proabably be this weekend), fix the headgaskets and assess anything else that absolutely needs replacing. I'd like to drive the car as is for awhile, and see if I want to dive into the STi swap.

Some pictures after I got her home:

Car was pretty dirty from sitting, so washed it off, and cleaned up the engine bay a bit:

Before:

After(not worlds better, but better none the less)

Washed off:

A little rough around the edges, but will be perfect for a daily until I gather the funds for a full fledged swap.

My Forester for anyone interested:

Attached Thumbnails
Trevor's 2000 RS Coupe Project-avatar-journal.jpg  

Last edited by FXTrev; 06-17-2018 at 09:33 PM..
FXTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2017, 09:27 AM   #2
Auscan
1.8L

Car: 2000 RS 2.5L
Thumbs up

For sure it will be a great project to undertake.
You never know you might convince the boss to go down with route.

That is one lucky RS as it has found a good home
Looking fwd to future updates.
Auscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:25 AM   #3
maddhatteroo7
2.2L Turbo

Car: 2004 Forester XT
Trader Rating: (91)

Can't wait to see how this goes. Since I've done a 6spd swap everything else seems rather easy in a sense. I really miss my old GC8s and want another, but the foz is the best daily for me right now.

btw... since you're going to swap I do have some brembos for sale (shameless plug lol )
maddhatteroo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:55 AM   #4
Stew3223
Premium Member

Fav Mod: Displacement Reduction
Trader Rating: (8)

Looks like a coupe worth saving. Nice buy honestly...Looks like no rust...I'd bet that quarter can be repaired. Whats your time frame for the swap?
Old 09-12-2017, 11:18 AM   #5
FXTrev
2.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auscan View Post
For sure it will be a great project to undertake.
You never know you might convince the boss to go down with route.

That is one lucky RS as it has found a good home
Looking fwd to future updates.
Hey friend! Good to see you on here. The boss will never be convinced, but that's okay. Just have to divide my time between car things and her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddhatteroo7 View Post
Can't wait to see how this goes. Since I've done a 6spd swap everything else seems rather easy in a sense. I really miss my old GC8s and want another, but the foz is the best daily for me right now.

btw... since you're going to swap I do have some brembos for sale (shameless plug lol )
Thanks. The Foresters really are a great daily. I actually have a full set of Brembos that I put new seals in with new rotors ready to go on the FXT, but I've been holding off, just in case I get rid of it. I might end up selling the Forester to buy a wrecked STI, and then buy a small pickup truck (Ranger) to use as a daily while I work on this. I think having a full car will be the best way to do the swap. Having all the extra pieces should really help things move along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew3223 View Post
Looks like a coupe worth saving. Nice buy honestly...Looks like no rust...I'd bet that quarter can be repaired. Whats your time frame for the swap?
Yeah, I think so. It's a little rough, but I think I can bring some luster back to it. The quarter panel is at least not rusty, but it does have a crease that goes along the top, and the dent is really close to the door jam, so I'll probably see about getting it fixed once I get it running again. No timeline yet. I'll need to get rid of the Forester before I swap this, so I can buy a full car for the swap. I'll probably end up taking a lot of parts off the FXT to save for this. For now I'm going to get it driveable, and fix some of the small details/exterior, etc. and go from there.

Update:
I got the motor out over the weekend, and pulled the heads. No milkshake when I drained the oil, and the coolant was green. Headgaskets were just leaking really bad exteranlly. Going to clean up the mess the leak has left all over the block and heads, and see if I need to get the heads resurfaced. I might just wet sand them on a surface plate prior to installing new gaskets if they look flat. I'll try and post some pictures tonight.

On a side note I haven't been getting email updates to my subscribed threads Didn't even know I had replies on here
Old 09-13-2017, 04:51 AM   #6
Stew3223
Premium Member

Fav Mod: Displacement Reduction
Trader Rating: (8)

That sounds like good news. If the heads look flat just run them. You can do the old strait-edge and feeler gauge check too.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:26 PM   #7
FXTrev
2.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew3223 View Post
That sounds like good news. If the heads look flat just run them. You can do the old strait-edge and feeler gauge check too.
Started cleaning the heads last night, and finished up a little bit ago. Going to check them for flatness on my lunch break, and hope they're good.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:19 AM   #8
Auscan
1.8L

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXTrev View Post
On a side note I haven't been getting email updates to my subscribed threads Didn't even know I had replies on here
Same here I'm not receiving email subs as well as I'm keen to see ya progress.....

Last edited by Auscan; 09-21-2017 at 10:21 AM..
Old 09-21-2017, 10:21 AM   #9
FXTrev
2.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auscan View Post
Same here I'm not receiving email subs as well
Unsubscribe, and then re-subscribe. That worked for me at least.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:19 PM   #10
Auscan
1.8L

So...... matey how are you making out with the engine pull? How are the heads looking? I'd recommend to get the heads serviced.