Paul's 97' GF - EJ22T swap - Rust and Rallycross - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Paul's 97' GF - EJ22T swap - Rust and Rallycross

Old 11-15-2016, 08:41 AM   #1
Todviper
1.8L

Car: '97 GF Brighton
Fav Mod: EJ22T
Trader Rating: (0)
Default Paul's 97' GF - EJ22T swap - Rust and Rallycross

Hello!

My name is Paul, I'm from Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and I thought I should start a journal for the use and abuse of the car that makes me giggle like a schoolgirl and butt p***** on a daily basis.

So. Long story long, I got into the subaru world with a '04 Forester XT (Build Thread Here - Subaruforester.org) which I have spent so many hours and so much money on that it's gotten to the point where I don't winter drive it and am afraid to rallycross it, as I wouldn't be able to afford to replace most of the components I've installed.

This resulted in me buying a dirty cheap but stupidly clean (For Canada at least) 00' Impreza Brighton wagon shell, which I was set on having a 2.2 N/A setup with basic parts that I could cheaply fix and beat on all winter long and rallycross / nav rally year round.

It came with 4 pots in the front as well, which was nice, but this car was not to be, as I was on an audi poker run, and after showing photos of this GF to one of the guys, they mentioned that they had a running and driving '97 Brighton wagon for sale, with some interesting bits, namely an EJ22T.

AND HERE SHE IS, RUSTY AND ROTTEN AND DUMB

This build thread will chronicle the use and abuse of this bad bad girl.

I'll try and organize this thread somewhat, as I will be doing many events and a bunch of mods basically instantly as I have been hoarding all of the random parts for my forester, which should lego into the GF nicely!

Mod list as the car sits right now (as of November 15, 2016)

Engine
- EJ22T out of a '93 Legacy. 160,000k (99,000miles) or so on the motor
- TD04H out of a '08 wrx
- Audi S4 90* hose hacked up to make intake tract work with TD04
- '08wrx intercooler
- Samco throttle body to intercooler hose
- Perrin? 3" downpipe
- Cobbled together full 3" exhaust with a cat
- Tomei? UEL headers (4-1 collector, will figure out what these are eventually)
- Greddy Intake tube
- HKS air filter
- TurboXS RFL BOV venting to ATMOSPHRERURU
- Intake manifold painted red
- Home Depot manual boost controller set to 17psi
- JDM legacy turbo sidefeed injectors (??? cc)
- STOCK 1.8L ecu running the show
- Apexi S-AFC mangling the MAF signal so the car runs
- '93 legacy turbo metal MAF
- Tomei rising rate Fuel Pressure Regulator
- Walbro 255 pump
- Random grounding kit

Drivetrain
- Stock 1.8L Brighton Transmission with Cable Clutch
- Stage 3 Exedy clutch for a 2.5RS
- Stock open r160 in the back
- GroupN Engine mounts
- GroupN Transmission mounts
- Poly bushings along the shifter linkage tract
- Kartboy Rear shifter bushing

Handling
- Cusco front Strut bar
- Cusco rear Strut bar
- OG Whiteline rear swaybar and links
- 1st gen Legacy Bilstein struts + springs

Exterior
- Ver5 STI rear doors
- Ver5 STI hood
- Canadian Potato wedge mid spoiler
- outback sport top spoiler
- Random front lip
- wrx/sti ? side skirts
- wrx/sti ? rear spats / bumper trim
- 6x Hella 500FF lights on DIY lightbar
- Ghetto 55W 4800k HID kit
- LED front marker lights
- Garbage armor mudflaps (made from a rubbermaid trash bin)
- Canadian special edition rust
- RS 6 spoke rims with random winter tires

Interior
- AEM wideband (actually works)
- " TYPE R " boost gauge that works sometimes
- Carjoying 5.1.1 Android headunit as nav / music / rally computer
- ver3? STI Cluster with brighton gauges installed inside to make speedo cable work
- 2.5rs front seats
- 2.5rs rear doorcards (windows don't work in the back because no handle to roll them up or down )
- LED interior light (the only interior light )
- Raw gasoline, MOTUL transmission fluid and burnt MOTUL oil interior aromatics

So, Let's see where this car will take me, on adventures and also financially
Attached Thumbnails
Paul's 97' GF - EJ22T swap - Rust and Rallycross-vdsbtuy.jpg  

Last edited by Todviper; 12-14-2016 at 10:49 AM..
Todviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2016, 08:46 AM   #2
Todviper
1.8L

So, first mods, as far as mods go.

So, I've owned the car since Nov 9, 2016, and so far...

I've installed an android 5.1.1 CarJoying radio, which I really like so far, and came in super handy for the nav rally that I ran on Nov 12th.

I also had a spare set of rally lights from an outback that I used to own, so I decided that they must be mounted up for the nav rally as it would run later into the night, and as preparation for the Polar Bear rally early next year.

I also installed LED front marker bulbs and fixed the HID kit that came with the car so that the passenger headlight actually works.

So, onto the rally!
I participated in the 62nd President's Prize rally held by PMSC (Peterborough Motorsports Club) and RallySport Ontario. I placed 2nd last as I had a navigator who has never done a nav rally before, so we got lost plenty of times, and had to "make up time" a whole lot, which meant sideways fun on the freshly re-graveled roads which were fantastic and crazy loose!

This was a great shakedown for the car, and I know for sure now that I NEED to do the brakes. With the car came a rear disk brake conversion set (hubs, calipers, rotors, pads etx) off of a '93 turbo legacy, but those are difficult to get rotors + pads for, so I'm in between a '05 wrx brake conversion or installing the 4pot front brakes off of my spare shell and sourcing a set of 2pots for the rear. Possibly way too fancy for the car, but will have to see what I can scrap together.

Also, I thought I'd share some plans for the car down the line.

I was at a scrapyard earlier this week and there happened to be an '02 wrx manual, motor missing of course, but the most important bit was there...

For those of you that aren't aware, this '02 wrx ecu is basically the holy grail of subaru OEM ecu's other than a V7 sti ecu, all thanks to the Carberry rom made by Carbibbles, which allows the use of ANTILAG, ffs, launch control, water/meth injection, speed density, flexfuel, map switching, and a whole bunch of other features all open source!

Currently the car is "tuned" on a 1.8L N/A ecu doing it's thing, bigger injectors, a manual boost controller, and an Apexi S-AFC, which is not ideal to say the least, so I'll be doing some major harness hacking and getting the wrx ecu installed and running with a SOHC ej22t.... Should be fun.

Now, antilag means that I need to go catless, and even if I deleted the cat on the current exhaust, all of the "DIY" welded joints would likely fail really, really quickly, but I so happen to have a solution for this.

Why not a Cobb Catless downpipe v-banded to Fujistubo Legalis Super-R one piece catback? Should do the job nicely

Now, I am absolutely aware that the TD04 really doesn't need antilag, at all, and spools at 2500rpm on my current setup and is at full boost (17psi) around 3000rpm or so, but I've always wanted antilag, and being young and stupid, why not? The ej22t is absolutely more than stout enough to take the abuse, being closed deck and all, as well as having RIDICULOUS pistons that couldn't care less.

Look at the ringlands compared to a EJ257 oem piston!!!

If I'm going to be stupid, at least this is the right platform to do it on, also considering I have a spare complete EJ22t and extra ej22T shortblock sitting at home..... along with Version 8 STI heads, all supposed to be built together to make my Forester make crazy power on the cheap, but we'll see which parts go where.

Last edited by Todviper; 11-15-2016 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: Update
Old 11-16-2016, 08:13 AM   #3
Todviper
1.8L

So last night it was really, really foggy, so I was able to take a neat photo showing off the hella's I have on the front of the car. I definitely need to install some actual foglights, in the form of rectangular PIAA lights I have kicking around thanks to @scoobywagon02 , and also hopefully a projector retrofit down the road so my low beam cutoff isn't ricer spec like it is at the moment.

Here is the interior of the car as it sits, I need to get different seats, these RS seats are killing my back.

Also scored the wheel I've wanted since I got into subarus, an older Nardi with the STI emblem horn. I still need to source the appropriate JDM bits for the steering column so I have the auto resetting turn signals and working horn, but there are a few local importers that should have those bits, so we'll see if I can't get that setup sometime soon.

I also got my hands on a Suretrac rear diff, going to try and install that as soon as I can get access to a hoist at a friend's shop, as well as do a disc brake conversion and setup everything with '02wrx brakes all around. Currently researching everything required to do that, including making sure the handbrake still functions correctly etx.

As for suspension, I'm enjoying the Bilstein setup as it sits right now, but I have sets of Ohlins struts, Koni inserts with RCE springs, and Hotbits DT2 coilovers that I could swap on, not exactly sure which setup I want to go with for the time being, so I'll probably leave the Bilsteins on.

Last edited by Todviper; 11-16-2016 at 08:17 AM..
Old 11-16-2016, 08:16 AM   #4
scoobywagon02
2.2L

Fav Mod: Top mount intake & lights

You know I'll take care of all your lighting needs
Old 11-16-2016, 08:50 AM   #5
Todviper
1.8L

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobywagon02 View Post
You know I'll take care of all your lighting needs
Thank you thank you good sir!
And I for your wiring needs :P
Old 11-29-2016, 09:48 AM   #6
Todviper
1.8L

So, some updates,

Firstly, I was out and Volunteering at the Rally of the Tall Pines last weekend in Bancroft, Ontario. It was freaking fantastic, and it was awesome to see proper rally cars in action for the first time.

I have run those roads before during the Polar Bear Rally overnight earlier this year, and am even more pumped for next year's Polar Bear sometime in Mid-February.

That event was awesome, and I got approx 9L/100km going to and from that event, with roof rails, a light bar, and no undertray. That being said, I've been measuring 20L/100km in the city, so something wasn't right, as well as a persistent gas smell.... you all know what that means.

woke up one morning to find a huge puddle that was most definitely raw gas. Leaking from the top of the tank as I've found out after taking a proper look at things on the hoist.

Also found remains of the old fuel leak that was going into the cabin, before the previous owner replaced the lines with Nylon ones to prevent any further corrosion.

The leak may have melted the foam / sound insulation under the seat, which made basically what some would consider as Napalm, so not fun.

On a positive note this means that my atrocious fuel economy isn't necessarily down to the tune, so I can push back the '02wrx ecu work until I can have the car down for at least a week to make it all work.
I've been doing research into the swap, and have started the grand spreadsheet of harness merging, and oh, I also picked up a complete '02wrx body and engine bay harness, and took the engine harness off of a spare 1.8L intake mani I have (mainly for the engine connectors), so I can pin everything and reduce splicing wires as much as possible.

Also, I picked up a GC turbo specific Cusco Brace for dirty cheap. It's sprayed red, but the material (aluminum) and weld quality as well as details leave the impression on me that it is a proper cusco part.

So, on the list of things to do, and the "while I'm in there mods" over the next while as I collect the final parts is as follows.

- Remove "good" fuel tank from spare GF, send out for re-sealing and re-valving to 100% ensure that there are no issues.
- New fuel filler neck depending on old one's condition
- Replace any lines that look sketchy
- Install '02 wrx disk brake conversion including new wheel bearings + seals
- Install new handbrake cables to match ^
- Install Suretrac rear differential
- Possibly jdm rear subframe depending on how the old one comes out
- ALL OF THE BUSHINGS
- Install Fujistubo Exhaust (catless)
- Install Cusco Brace

And some reliability mods:
- Install KillerB pickup + baffle
- Install Version 8 sti pan that a friend generously donated to the build
- Source a dipstick to match the pan

Should be a fun weekend task, I'm sure the subframe will come out without issue, right?
Old 11-29-2016, 10:17 AM   #7
FryphaX
Premium Member

Fav Mod: Registration!
Trader Rating: (4)

Might not be a bad idea to drill small holes and try and soak the top of the subframe bolts with some PB Blaster or something similar.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:33 AM   #8
Combat Chuck
2.2L Turbo

Fav Mod: EJ255 swap!
Trader Rating: (43)

Those subframe bolts suck, I can confirm as I broke three of the four captive nuts off. I would pick up or borrow a bolt heater before tackling that.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:32 AM   #9
Todviper
1.8L

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryphaX View Post
Might not be a bad idea to drill small holes and try and soak the top of the subframe bolts with some PB Blaster or something similar.
That is a good idea, I'll keep that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat Chuck View Post
Those subframe bolts suck, I can confirm as I broke three of the four captive nuts off. I would pick up or borrow a bolt heater before tackling that.
AH YES, that is a must, I'll see if any of the local shops will lend me theirs / if I can rent one locally (I'm in Toronto, Ontario, Canada), as using MAP gas or an acetylene torch will 100% cause a hell of a fire.

Snapping the captive nuts is now my current worst nightmare. If all goes **** side up I may end up just doing the chassis swap now as opposed to later XP Hopefully it doesn't come to that....
Old 11-30-2016, 08:45 AM   #10
FryphaX
Premium Member

Fav Mod: Registration!
Trader Rating: (4)

After the first one or two snapped nuts it's just another day at the office.