Reverend's '99 RS Coupe - Take Two - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Reverend's '99 RS Coupe - Take Two

Old 08-30-2016, 01:05 PM   #1
Reverend86
2.7L

Trader Rating: (3)
Default Reverend's '99 RS Coupe - Take Two

1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Coupe
Silverthorn Metallic
5-Speed Manual

Found this online in Washington State. My friends at Tino's Automotive (All Fours Rally Team) gave it fresh head gaskets, water pump, timing, clutch, and flywheel before driving it all the way to Ojibwe Forests Rally where I met them and finished the 2,000 mile journey back to Omaha! This 1-owner rust-free RS Coupe had 148k miles on the clock by the time it rolled onto my driveway and it's replacing my tried-and-true RS Revival. I've already swapped some of my favorite aesthetic bits over from the other car to get me started but there's more in store for this car down the road. This is Take Two!

STI Version 6 Grille
ABS Fog Light Covers
Depo Clear Corner Lights
JDM Tail Lights
Prodrive RB5 Rear Spoiler
RallyArmor UE Mudflaps
17" BBS Wheels w/Yokohama Tires
JDM STi Version 7 Front Seats
JDM STi Version 7 Rear Seats
Zealous Interiors "JDM Blue" Door Inserts
Gray Painted Center Dash / Shifter Trim
STi Duracon Shift Knob
STi 5MT Short Throw Shifter
Group N Rear Shifter Bushing
Rebuilt 2.5L SOHC Subaru Boxer Engine
FHI Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Brace
KYB Excel-G Struts w/RS Springs
Stromung Catback Exhaust

* - Table of Contents
A Clean Slate
Attached Thumbnails
Reverend's '99 RS Coupe - Take Two-28700274104_1b6c412312_z.jpg  

Last edited by Reverend86; 07-10-2017 at 09:38 AM..
Reverend86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2016, 01:05 PM   #2
Reverend86
2.7L

Dibs on this post
Old 08-30-2016, 02:49 PM   #3
Bast
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: Prodrive all things
Trader Rating: (4)

Sweet! Looks really nice
Old 09-05-2016, 07:06 PM   #4
Reverend86
2.7L

Thanks, Bast!

So when I drove this thing home, I had a 7-hour journey back to think about what I really wanted to do. Outside of more immediate things like "replace the damn windshield" and "swap my favorite bits over from the old RS", I already kind of had a wishlist of improvements to make.

The first is steering and suspension. The power steering is failing on this car and I had always wanted to swap in a STI steering rack. Been doing some research and trying to find a good solid way to do it without breaking the bank. A Brand-new 2017 WRX STI steering rack would be fun, especially considering it's the quickest rack Subaru has made to-date... but I keep wondering if it'll be just as effective to just swap in one from a 2004, since it will work with the stock RS crossmember. Thanks to this thread I've managed to find a lot of answers about older model swaps onto our beloved "GC" Imprezas.

I'm still crazy, so I'm still planning to rallycross this '99 RS and the one thing I remember in the turns was turning the wheel a lot to get a little. A quicker-ratio steering rack would make the twisty turny rallycross courses much easier to manage. As such, I have also been strongly considering picking up a L&E Fabrication "Impreza Late GC Quick Column" but am still digging around for more information.

I've never done work on a power steering column before so to anyone who has done something like this, I could certainly use some pointers! Thanks!
Old 09-09-2016, 09:42 AM   #5
Reverend86
2.7L

On the one hand, this car was a bit of a time capsule when I picked it up. The original RS seats were still in it and nearly mint. The original owner had put seat covers on them so they weren't faded or worn at all. They were super comfy, but the second I turned the wheel sharply I was reminded why I loved my Version 6 seats so much.

With the interior back the way I like it, there's a few more things I've been working on. With my other RS, I remembered that the first couple of months were spent simply fixing and replacing things that needed work. It's a 1999 so not everything is perfect, regardless of how much care was taken to keep it in good shape for 17 years. I've got a new Master Cylinder, Clutch Slave, and new lines on the way to fix the odd clutch pedal feel it's got right now.

A short list of other things I need to fix or improve has been brewing. Here's what's in store for round one!
  • Replace A/C Fan Control Resistor
  • New Blower Motor
  • Replace Front Windshield
  • New Brake Lines
  • Subaru Front 4-Pot Calipers
  • Subaru Rear 2-Pot Calipers
Got more things on the docket that I'd like to do, but I'll go with this list first before adding on more! Phase 1 is off to a good start!
Old 09-16-2016, 02:37 PM   #6
Reverend86
2.7L

Dear RS25.com,

If you have an Impreza with side skirts and you haven't cleaned them out... you really should! Dear Lord in Heaven, mine practically had potting soil and pine needles packed in them!!

What I expected to be a 20 minute Rally Armor UE install on my '99 Impreza Coupe imported from Washington State turned into a two hour clean-athon through the side skirts and wheel wells! It looked like my car had diarrhea on my driveway when I was done.

Luckily no rust or rotting in those skirts, but I was surprised to find so much gunk in a car that had been garaged every night for the last 17 years. I cleaned 'em all out and installed my rally armors quickly thereafter. Went with the dark gray logos.

And, ironically after all this cleaning, I'm taking her to it's first Rallycross this weekend! Still got things to work on but the car is solid and OEM suspension seems to be really compliant for rallying.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:59 PM   #7
taamus
1.8L

Trader Rating: (1)

Can't wait to see where this one goes. Subscribed.
taamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:20 PM   #8
Hot Tub Rob
2.7L

Fav Mod: Alpine W940
Trader Rating: (2)

had a good laugh at the mud pile there
Old 09-17-2016, 03:42 PM   #9
GC822BDREAMER
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: JDM REAR GLASS/ETS SCOOP
Trader Rating: (43)

congrats on the score on the new one. glad your old one will be cared for as well. hopefully i will get to see this car someday. its inspirational. and thats a real rb5 wing? im considering finding one or a p1 spoiler does it mount in the rs holes?

Last edited by GC822BDREAMER; 09-20-2016 at 03:33 PM..
GC822BDREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:32 AM   #10
Reverend86
2.7L

Thanks, man! The RB5 Wing mounts in the holes already drilled for the RS Sedan and Coupe wing. However, the third mounting point (closest to the rear glass) needs some slight modification to do right. Instead of a screw, the USDM trunks use a plastic peg. The wing I have has another screw there, but we got it to work.

I've been puzzled about this RB5 Wing since I got it. There are a lot of replicas out there, but most of them don't have the "PRODRIVE" logo set into the sides. However, all the RB5s were in a dark gray, not silver. This one had been painted silver when I got it, but there's a few scuffs on the wing where the paint has been worn away. Underneath there's no sign of gray paint. It's a light yellow color through the paint. The rear brake light works fine and the connector fits in the OEM plug to power it. Printed on the thrid brake light is a "HELLA" logo. I suspect the wing a replica, but it's good enough for me!