Mike's 95 STI Type RA -> 95 L Coupe! We're going hybrid CDB. - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Mike's 95 STI Type RA -> 95 L Coupe! We're going hybrid CDB.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:55 PM   #1
Michaeld
2.2L

Fav Mod: Tires
Trader Rating: (2)
Default Mike's 95 STI Type RA -> 95 L Coupe! We're going hybrid CDB.

Sitting here in the airport so I figured I'd throw up what pictures I have and start a long build thread. This will be composed mostly of my work done while in Japan to my Ver 2 STI Type RA and eventually, hopefully, turn into my stateside build when I get orders back next year. So feel free to comment or browse as you please. This is as much for me as it is for you all.

How it sat the day I got it. 1995 Ver 2 STI Type RA. It was bone stock with the exception of a no name axle back muffler and some old sound system wiring.

Sold this roach to make the purchase of the STI.

Eventually I started to add bits to it as I sold off old GTR parts. Picked up a set of JDM OEM option wheels, RE B51's similar to RS Zero's. And some Rally Armor mud flaps.

Picked up a set of Brembo's from a buddy and started the slow process to acquire the parts I needed to slap them on.

First I picked up a set of TE37's to clear the Brembo's. 17x8 +38 with Dunlop Direzza rubber shipped from mainland.

Started getting random parts from various venders. SS lines to update the tires stock lines. Generic drilled/slotted rotors to hold me over. For the rear I had researched and decided not to go with the R180 swap and ended up ordering a dogbone bracket and oversized shoes to slap the rear onto the stock R160.

Headache after headache with getting the brackets from England led me to ditch the idea and go R180 swap. Picked up a rear crossmember with hubs, half shafts, crossmember, etc from a GDA bugeye STI. Picked up a clean R180 with a 3.9 FD and Cusco RS 1.5/2 way differential installed. Not too bad of an install, but def more work than the brackets. Worth every penny in my opinion though.

A long day with the much appreciated help of some friends and fellow enthusiasts had my brakes on and my ride sitting pretty. All that was left was the Flatouts suspension C57i V2 to arrive. Unfortunately international shipping took a while and I couldn't pass up a free day to wait any longer. Ended up installing the coil overs a few weekends later.

Quick easy swap and that's basically how I'm rolling around. Got a quick lesson in rolling fenders and knocked that out too so no more rub.

Buddies Type R we did the same day.

And basically how she sits today. Been off island so I'll have the alignment done and dialed in this week and then on to the next set of mods. Not sure where to go next, but I'm sure something will fall into my lap.

Thanks for the look.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Mike's 95 STI Type RA -> 95 L Coupe! We're going hybrid CDB.-img_7003.jpg  

Last edited by Michaeld; 12-31-2018 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: Title
Michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2015, 05:48 PM   #2
Michaeld
2.2L

Got the car all aligned up finally. Was able to burn my last day off to get it set up. -2.5F and -1.5R for Gymkhana/AutoX. We shall see how those settings go. Feels so much better though. Also had then swap the Amsoil sever gear for Cusco LSD 80W140 gear oil. Night and day difference there as well. Much better to drive and hookup.

Still jet lagged, I woke up early and decided to install my Momo Race and Sparco QD in place of the stock Nardi. Getting the wheel off was a huge pain in the butt, but getting in and out of the car is now so much easier. Not to mention any sort of under dash maintenance being a breeze to access now. And it's much more comfortable than the tired stock wheel.

That's all for now. There is a HPDE this weekend I'm hoping to hit up if work permits so maybe some pics/video from that in the next update.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:15 AM   #3
old_duwel
2.2L Turbo

Fav Mod: Cusco 2 way LSD
Trader Rating: (5)

You are on here? My wheels
Old 10-07-2015, 05:48 PM   #4
Michaeld
2.2L

I'm everywhere dude. I'm a lurker.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:56 PM   #5
Jeff902
2.0L

Fav Mod: Brembos
Trader Rating: (1)

I love pic heavy! beautiful car
Old 10-07-2015, 08:19 PM   #6
Michaeld
2.2L

Thanks! I'm going to try and photo document the life span of this car from now on to the stateside rebuild. Never had a members journal for any of my cars/bikes before.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:53 PM   #7
GC822BDREAMER
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: JDM REAR GLASS/ETS SCOOP
Trader Rating: (43)

Would u be able to source me a pocket like yours that goes under the ash tray
GC822BDREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:17 PM   #8
scooby-wrx
2.2L

Fav Mod: HKS Hyper Dragger Exhaust
Trader Rating: (0)

Nice tidy car man! Love the work / mods so far! Keep the updates coming.
scooby-wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:03 PM   #9
Michaeld
2.2L

Didn't make it to the event due to a combination of lack of sleep due to work and weather. I made the adult decision to save my car and sleep in. I did make it, however, to a local poker run yesterday. Was able to give the car a little bit of go to see how she handled. So smooth and composed compared to before. The combination of all the parts and a dialed in alignment made for a hell of a ride. I will be needing to upgrade my brake MC to the larger one as my brakes aren't as aggressive as I had hoped. Here's some pics and a short lame video of one road we hit.

Oki Boys Poker Run 2105 - YouTube
Old 12-08-2015, 04:54 PM   #10
Michaeld
2.2L

Sorry for lack of updates, been real busy traveling for work. Haven't done much to the car. Really just been trying to purge my pile of pulled parts taking up space right now.

I've decided I want to go way more weekend track dedicated then before and have been making a list and doing lots of reading. 6 speeds and and lots of chu chu noises are in the future. But for now, I'm enjoying holiday things and taking care of personal stuff.

I did buy myself some car related Christmas gifts, this one here just arrived. There's more on the way, and pics will follow, but this boxed up front mount will have to hold you over for now.

Hope everyone has a safe, enjoyable holiday season. 2016 is gonna be real real good.