Terry's 415whp Forester diy budget build. About to be retired. - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Terry's 415whp Forester diy budget build. About to be retired.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:12 AM   #1
TerryJr
Experimenter

Fav Mod: AAA Premier
Trader Rating: (0)
Default Terry's 415whp Forester diy budget build. About to be retired.

My 5th and favorite Subaru. The 1998 Subaru Forester S 5mt. I have always been one to buy a car in rough shape and make something of it. When my Legacy was finally starting to become a maintenance burden I started looking and found this Forester, it needed head gaskets mostly but the body was solid, rust free and it was a 5 speed. So I coughed up the $600 and bought it. .

And so began the build process.

Note worthy pages:

Dyno Day
Blow'd up rev 3 video
Ported Manifold
Manual Rack Install

Specs:

For 2017
Turbo rev6.0:
95 Legacy 2.2 Case
ej22e crank
13 STi rods .0018 bearing clearence
JE 2618 Forged pistons 314350 .004ptw
King main and rod bearings
ARP 2000 Head Studs
Felpro 9856PT Head gaskets
05 wrx shimless Heads
07 STi Cams
BW S252sxe
E85
CarBerry 4.2 speed density flex fuel rom
Omni 3-Bar MAP sensor
Oem wrx header
Custom rotated by me Uppipe
Custom dowpipe
Reversed, shaved and TGV deleted intake
3" exhaust, catless. Vibrant resonator, Jones Max Flow muffler
Innovative LC-2 Wideband
Denso 950cc injectors
Walbro 450 hard wired
Perrin FMIC 3.5x9.5x25 core
2.5" Intercooler piping
Full Speed Density
Tial 38mm wastegate VTA
South Bend Stage 3 Ceramic Clutch
homemade tranny plates
Forester 5mt 4.11, .871 5th
H6 VLSD rear diff
WRX Wagon takeoffs
STI 19mm rear sway bar
XXR 18x8.75 +35 527's
Outshu 245/40/18
TWM Short throw w/ weighted knob
Rotella Oil
Optima battery on floor behind driver seat
Depowered Rack

Old Block Turbo rev1.0:
95 EJ22e block (blew number 2 piston at 22psi)
96 EJ25D heads/gaskets

Old Block Turbo rev2.0:
2008 Ej253 pinned
CP Forged pistons set to .0035 PTW
2013 STI Rods (threw #4 rod bearing)
1999 Legacy 2.5 Crank
96 EJ25D HLA Heads
ACL Race Bearings STD size

Old Block Turbo rev3.0:
95 EJ22e block (#1 rod bearing)
96 EJ25D heads/gaskets

Currentish Photos, currentist at top:

As purchased:

Usefull links for my record purposes:

obdII pinout

Stock ROM list

WRX ecu pinout
for iat move pin b23 to b27

98 ecu 1
98 ecu 2
98 ecu 3
FPC info

flash connector

Brydon's wrx harness to 98 wrx pin a5 actually goes to the 4 coil packs. im going to tee this wire to pin 85 rather than cut it

fpc wiring if i got that route

Brydon's donor harness prep

logging to openport 2.0 sd card

Wastegate Duty Cycle
Attached Thumbnails
Terry's 415whp Forester diy budget build. About to be retired.-20150416_115641-edit.jpg  

Last edited by TerryJr; 09-10-2017 at 07:28 AM..
TerryJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2014, 06:12 AM   #2
TerryJr
Experimenter

Default Visual Mods

The purchase photo is actually a little late, that was after i put the WRX springs on and shaved the roof rack. I would probably have kept the roof rack but i broke it over tightening a ratchet strap.

There was a dent in the rear quater panel that i repaired and other than that i left the boday alone, its has 255k miles on it and I'm not the best with Bondo.

First shot with new wheels/tire

Then i started scuffing and sanding the hole car

After all the prep work was done, I took out the lights and pulled front bumper. I did some quick prep around the light holes and started spraying.
The paint is tractor supply Matte Black Enamel made by Majic. Similar to "Blitz Black" but available locally. I doubled up on the hardener since its supposed to increase the sheen. I did'nt real want Matte black, I wanted Satin black. What i got is in between.

I think it needs a couple stickers to break up the black a little, and I need to reinstall the windsheild trim. Haven't found a good way to do that yet.

Last edited by TerryJr; 04-28-2014 at 07:48 AM..
Old 04-28-2014, 06:13 AM   #3
TerryJr
Experimenter

Default Engine Management

OLD, cars got a 02wrx ecu now opensource tuned with carberry rom

I started wiring up the Emanage Ultimate last night. I found the B84 ECU wiring diagram, printed out the Philsine/Brydon/Morrocco diagram, and got the latest copy of the emanage installation diagram.

Using the "P/B/M" Diagram and also reading the descriptions on the EMU installation manual, I opened the EMU and set up the jumpers as below.

Emanage Ultimate Software - Free
My MAP, old
Sample Log 14

THESE NOTES SUPERCEDE DIAGRAMS BELOW

Edit: For coolant signal, I had to go back in and change jumper JP13 to "open". When set to 1-2 it was skewing ecu to think engine was running 40 degrees cooler. Set to open, it will still read sensor but does not skew ecu signal. Its not perfectly accurate but it will work for autotune purposes.

I later went back and hooked up the crank and cam (cam not needed) signal wires to the emanage. I still use the ignition signal for the emanage but now i can see timing and data log timing in the emanage. I dont see any issues hooking them up. And when i switch the emu to crank signal for the rpm signal the rpm's do not change so both signals seem to work fine.

I also unhooked the knock wire and wired the iat side of the wrx maf to the emanage, set jumper 14 to 1-2. The knock sensor feature never worked, at least this way i can monitor intake temps just before throttle body.

UPDATE: When changing MAF type, size or location. Use the Airflow map to get g/sec readings at idle and low load back to stock.

Here's a post on some coolant related and cold start issues i had, I think related to tapping coolant wire.
98 having cold start issues until warm

Then I located all the wires from the EMU harness that i thought i would need, Then I cross referenced them to my ECU diagram and wrote each ECU number next to the EMU wire description.

Below is my ECU diagram, i just circled each pinout I planned to use. I eventually learned that all the pinout diagrams i have been using are show from the wire side.

I later went back and hooked up the crank and cam signal wires to the emanage. I still use the ignition signal for the emanage but now i can see timing and data log timing in the emanage. I dont see any issues hooking them up. And when i switch the emu to crank signal for the rpm signal the rpm's do not change so both signals seem to work fine.

I used a hole saw to cut a hole through the glove box to run the harness down to the ECU.

And this is where i left off last night. I only tapped in the "tap-in" wires so that i could power up the unit and check to see if my Laptop would comminuicate. IT DID NOT. So I'm glad i didn't cut through the injector and ignition wires yet or I would be pretty much dead in the water. I read the communication errors with 64 bit Windows 7 is pretty common. Tonight I will try changing the COM, or i will have to find an old XP laptop.
The EMU did power up but the Communication light stayed on steady even when not plugged into USB and the Active light was blinky a fast red. I'm hoping once all the wires are done that it will work itself out.

Last edited by TerryJr; 09-04-2016 at 11:22 AM..
Old 04-28-2014, 06:13 AM   #4
TerryJr
Experimenter

Default Engine/Mechanical Mods

This is actually the second motor built for the car. The car came with a 96 ej25D with bad gaskets all around. I bought a EJ25DE and changed all its gaskets before installing. 3k miles later that engine quit when a timing cover bolt i forgot to tighten, fell in between the idler and the water pump pulley, breaking the block, or so i thought. It ended up being the water pump casting that broke. After that sudden failure i bought an 95 ej22 to keep me rolling. That motor was in the car for a couple months before i got tired of 95whp, and it leaked like a seize. I took the EJ25de block and swapped on the ej22 heads with cometic gaskets and that motor is still in the car. It is a torque machine and keeping my happy while i build its opposite. The 8.5:1 Compression turbo motor.

My choice of block, a solid EJ22 that was previously in car but removed do to lack of power and leakage of seals.

For Heads, i went with 96 EJ25d heads for their 54cc turbo shaped combustion chambers, and I can keep stock manifold.

97 heads vs 96 heads

Cylinder head drill and tapped stock turbo location 3/8 NPT for oil return.

Motor mostly assembled.

EGR hacked off, going to plug weld that hole shot and swipe my brothers 97 Impreza ECu that doesn't look for EGR

Welded internal waste gate

Uppipe finished, this needs Tial tapped in but won't know exactly where unitl fit in car.

Found out yesterday when i test fit pipe in car that my CV boot still doesn't clear, back to the welding table.

Front mount installed

little piping tweek, moved BOV tap to leave blow through as an option.

Up-pipe rev2 clears the axle and puts turbo a little further forward making room for the waste gate to fit nicely in the corner. Now for the custom downpipe.

Got the hole put in for the wastegate

Last edited by TerryJr; 10-22-2014 at 06:33 AM..
Old 04-28-2014, 06:14 AM   #5
TerryJr
Experimenter

Default Suspension

Suspension, Not a hole lot to say.

02-03 WRX Wagon Takeoffs
Ebay lowering springs up front to level it out.
STI 19mm rear bar

Last edited by TerryJr; 04-28-2014 at 07:00 AM..
Old 04-28-2014, 06:14 AM   #6
TerryJr
Experimenter

Default Brakes

No real brake upgrades yet. Still on the fence about it since i just bought a brand new set of snow tires for my stock 16's a couple months ago. I'm thinking 2006/07 WRX 4/2 pots with swapped backing plates.

Donated 06 Wrx rear hubs & Rotors

Last edited by TerryJr; 07-15-2014 at 06:41 AM..
Old 04-28-2014, 08:07 AM   #7
Evaded
3.3L

Fav Mod: JDM Gold
Trader Rating: (19)

Looks good so far.. keep us posted.

Evaded
Old 04-28-2014, 09:12 AM   #8
DillChill_36
2.0L

Car: 2001 Forester
Fav Mod: 04 WRX seats

wow that is definitley an interesting turbo set up! what management will you be using?
DillChill_36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:30 AM   #9
TerryJr
Experimenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillChill_36 View Post
wow that is definitley an interesting turbo set up! what management will you be using?
Emanage Ultimate. It's in the mail
Old 04-28-2014, 09:41 AM   #10
DillChill_36
2.0L

Car: 2001 Forester
Fav Mod: 04 WRX seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by no694terry View Post
Emanage Ultimate. It's in the mail
sweet! i wanna see how well the motor of yours holds up to this! i might slap on a little turbo and run 6-7 psi and call it a day on my EJ251
DillChill_36 is offline   Reply With Quote