My 2004 2.5RS - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
My 2004 2.5RS

Old 02-10-2014, 03:39 AM   #1
04_2.5RS
2.7L

Fav Mod: Mud flaps ;)
Trader Rating: (1)
Default My 2004 2.5RS

Hello everyone, this is my first member's journal. I have kinda been a lurker here and on Nasioc, with some occasional posts and questions but didn't want to post a member's journal because I knew it would be a very slow mod path and would be boring to most but I have decided to start it just as a journal and record for myself.

Ok sadly I didn't take many pictures of the car but I will post all the ones I have.

BACKSTORY:

PURCHASED ON Nov. 26th 2013

Here is what the car looked like as shown on craiglist.

The guy was asking 3500 on some 17" black wheels or 3000 on the stock ones.

I actually don't have any pics of the car on the black wheels...

After telling him I wanted nothing to do with the black wheels, when I came to look at the car, they were still on there. He also advertised as 132,000 but it was close to 135k when I looked at it. Either way, car looked nice and well it was my first car and frankly, I just wanted the car... and needed it as well...

So we talked and I asked what the tread looked like on the stock wheels. He said bald but he could get brand new tires for $150 so I said deal and came back a few days later to pick it up. The car made it home fine it seemed...

Got it registered, insured and took it our my family's mechanic to get it inspected and the one headlight was dimmer than the other so we asked them to check that out as well as give it an alignment.

The charged me $40 for inspection (should have just done it for free)
$80 for alignment (is that fair?)
$36 bucks to trace the headlight circuit and replace a fuse LOL
The noted as well, "Sounds like front wheel bearing going bad, R/R Camber off (car was hit) may have bent R/R strut or knuckle.

I was like WTF?! clean title though and insurance is only $80 a month so I didn't really care.

NOTE: NO MENTION OF LEAKING ANYTHING!!

Then it started to become the family taxi lol. Was being driven quite a bit. I noticed that sometimes it would smell like something was burning after getting out of the car. No check engine lights and oil didn't seem low so I just put more coolant in and kept an eye on it. My curiosity forced me to do some research, then I started reading how prone these cars are to head gasket problems and it just went from there... I looked under the car one day and saw this... horrible pictures but you get the point...

I could then tell that whatever was leaking was hitting the exhaust and that was the burning smell. You could even see the smoke coming straight from the exhaust after driving and popping the hood.

I got a few friends to look at it and they didn't convince me of anything so I took it back to our family mechanic and he tells me... "it looks like your leaking from your cylinder head" I said so my head gasket it leaking? he agrees, and says they don't do that repair... I ask where he would recommend to take it to and he said "you'll be lucky to get a $1000 quote, you could get real far with $1000 in oil" I couldn't believe it lol I picked the car up and was just waiting for my coolant conditioner to arrive!

It finally came and I put it in. I proceeded to drive the car around a bit and I realized, it wasn't smoking at all anymore and not to mention, never once did the car overheat on me or even come close, the temp gauge was ALWAYS below the middle, even on an hour long drive on the highway doing 80.

After getting a few different opinions and thinking it over, I kept an eye on the fluid levels and kept driving with the magic coolant conditioner fix, I hoped this would solve all my problems, atleast for a little while.

With the car having 135k, I realized i would need to do the job sooner or later though. I compiled my parts list and waited. I got all my parts finally but by this time the car seemed to be running much better, no more bad smells... and like I said no smoke coming from under the hood , it was starting to snow a lot in jersey and I was loving my first winter with a subaru!

Then I started to get lazy from the cold and snow, I lost track of keeping and eye on fluid levels until one morning I thought to check and it seemed as though all my oil was gone! I put more in as soon as I could. everything seemed fine, didn't hear any horrendous noises while driving or anything so I figured I was good. Until later in the day a CEL came on and I started to get real nervous... I checked the stupid things like gas cap and maybe the oil caps because I was messing with those. Tightened everything up, still on. I checked oil level as well and it seemed low again so I put more in before I went out to pick my mom up from work. No CEL. Then about a half hour later it was back on again.

Went to advance auto parts and they told be they stopped pulling CEL codes, wtf?! went to pep boys and was told it was something to do with evap emissions. but I had made my mind up by that point... I had all the parts, all I was doing was procrastinating. It was finally time to put the car in the shop... That was last tuesday, the 4th. So the car ran for a solid 10 weeks slowly leaking fluids and I put over 2,000 miles on it from the time I bought it.

Ok this is up to current time for the most part so I am going to end this here for now and then come back and edit it some more later...
Attached Thumbnails
My 2004 2.5RS-1389191021722.jpg  

Last edited by 04_2.5RS; 02-11-2014 at 09:00 AM..
04_2.5RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 03:40 AM   #2
04_2.5RS
2.7L

MODS: (If you want to call them that) LOL

So I forgot to talk about some little things I did to the car while in the middle of purchasing the car and driving it to it's death then finally putting it in the shop.

First thing I did was buy some new headlights..
I still need to get them properly aligned.
Amazon.com: Philips H1 VisionPlus Replacement Bulb, (Pack of 2): Automotive

The center console had a NASTY STICKY substance covering the whole inside of it... i was determined to get that out and I did. That was the most satisfying thing I did to the car yet... LOL

And of course some air fresheners!

Put in a 20mm sway bar! Install was not as simple as I had hoped and had some minor complications but car still feels way better then before!

Also installed some rally armor has mud flaps! ( lost the rear ones )

cheap amazon head unit

whiteline rear endlinks

kartboy front endlinks

Borla REP UEL headers

Tsudo test pipe with Resonator

MODS I PLAN ON DOING: (EVENTUALLY)

lightweight pulley
Suspension ( should I go up or down?!)
Tint. (is there a law in NJ or is any % illegal?)

That's all I can think of for now...

I am open to suggestions on possible mods and any feedback is appreciated!

I will come back and edit more...

Sorry for the messy format!

Last edited by 04_2.5RS; 04-01-2015 at 05:16 AM..
Old 02-10-2014, 03:40 AM   #3
04_2.5RS
2.7L

COST OF CAR:

I like the idea of this. It will really only make me sad over time but I would like to see the costs of my car over time and see total what I spend on the car.

Car ($3150)
Taxes,tags, registration (Somewhere around $300)
Insurance ($80/month)
First trip to mechanic ($170)
Random **** bought on Amazon so far ($160)
Head Gasket + Timing Belt kit & random parts ($660)
Labor - $802.50
Wheel bearing labor - $262.15
New windshield - $240

Total cost so far: $6064.65

Damn... lol

And that's not including gas...

Last edited by 04_2.5RS; 03-12-2014 at 11:38 AM..
Old 02-11-2014, 06:28 AM   #4
04_2.5RS
2.7L

damn, I have now been away from my car for a week and it is really starting to suck! Looks like I might not have her for this big storm coming up wednesday night/thursday...

This sucks :/

I might be forced to buy a beater for the storm!
Old 02-11-2014, 09:05 AM   #5
04_2.5RS
2.7L

WOW, reading my story back to myself makes me realize how stupid I was really.. I just procrastinated so badly and I should of seen it coming sooner or later.

Oh well, I am hoping once I FINALLY get the car back everything will go smoothly after that.

I have to say though, the car really did drive smooth and well the whole time, never once did it DRIVE like something was wrong, only smelled like it... always was a smooth ride.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:13 PM   #6
Jame12
1.8L

Trader Rating: (0)

This is an important problem.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:04 AM   #7
04_2.5RS
2.7L

Thanks for the concern. The car is in the shop now.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:43 AM   #8
04_2.5RS
2.7L

I have a question for you guys. My car has the plastic intake manifold... I was thinking of swapping it out but then after doing some reading it seemed like everyone was actually saying the plastic one was better?

What are the pros and cons of the plastic intake mani?
Old 02-15-2014, 05:04 AM   #9
Odycee
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: H brace
Trader Rating: (12)

Plastic I/M lighter and cooler with better heat dissipation.
Odycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:57 AM   #10
04_2.5RS
2.7L

So basically there are no cons to the plastic? Thanks for the info!