Jack Stalk's Porsche 911 Convertible LS SWAP - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Jack Stalk's Porsche 911 Convertible LS SWAP

Old 05-24-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
Jack_Stalk
www.jackstalk.com

Trader Rating: (47)
Default Jack Stalk's Porsche 911 Convertible LS SWAP

Cliff notes of my Subarus owned (If you dont want to read)

2001 2.5 coupe December 2007 - May 2010
1993 1.8 sedan September 2008 - December 2008
1995 2.2 sedan December 2008 - May 2009
1995 2.2 coupe May 2009 - June 2010
1995 2.2 coupe June 2009 - August 2009
1998 2.2 wagon June 2010 - July 2010, February 2011-November 2015
1993 1.8 sedan July 2010 - February 2011
1998 2.5 coupe January 2014 - January 2019
1994 1.8 sedan May 2014 - January 2015
2000 2.5 coupe December 2014 - September 2016
1998 2.5 Forester February 16, 2016 - April 2016
1998 2.2 wagon April 2016 - October 2016
1998 2.5 coupe August 2016 - January 2019
1999 2.2 sedan September 2018 - December 2018
2004 WRX sedan April 2019 - Present

Current Garage: 2004 WRX Sedan, 2000 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV
Most recent pictures I own of each car:

6.0L Chevy V8 powered

Escalade, also 6.0L Chevy V8 powered

I've been on this forum for over 10 years on different account names, and I've owned 12 1st Generation Subaru Imprezas to date. Ever since age 13, playing with the little '99 World Rally Car in my Gran Turismo game I've been hooked on Subaru. I'm going to keep this journal open to all the cars Ive had, and also my current vehicle, since I'll probably always have a Subaru of some sort.
Attached Thumbnails
Jack Stalk's Porsche 911 Convertible LS SWAP-jsk_0677777777777777.jpg  

Last edited by Jack_Stalk; 04-12-2019 at 04:13 PM..
Jack_Stalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2010, 08:46 AM   #2
Jack_Stalk
www.jackstalk.com

In 2007 I bought my first Subaru, a BRP 2001 2.5RS. It had all of the options I was looking for, and I was extremely happy with it. I hoped to drive it for the rest of my life, I loved the car SO MUCH. I bought it from a girl for $6500 because she was going into the marines, it was a really great buy aside from the altezza lights.

After almost a year of daily driving it, I decided I wanted to start modding it and didnt want it as my daily driver anymore. I dont kno what I was thinking, because a 2.5RS is the best daily driver ever invented. It's simply good at EVERYTHING and can fill a variety of roles. So I picked up a 1993 FWD 5spd impreza sedan as a fun car in September 2008. I drove it for a few months, and I absolutely loved having two cars. My RS was painted WRB and I put all the decals on it, and people really enjoyed it for the most part. The 5spd FWD 1.8L got insane gas mileage, somewhere over 35. I looked so hard for a picture, but apparently it's rare to find a base impreza with black bumpers. It had 140k miles when I sold it for $1000

I sold the car two months later for more than I paid for it, and got into a green 1995 sedan 4EAT around November 2008. I got the thing for $500 and spent most of my time beating the complete crap out of it, from offroading to curb jumping and just knocking it around in general. This was probably my favorite, because it would do just about anything and not complain. The car had 263k on the clock, rust and dents all over the place, and smelled. For some reason I just loved the car, I loved everything about it. This was my intro into working on cars, I learned how to do the thermostat, spark plugs, struts, etc on this thing because I had to fear of messing up on a $500 car. Ended up selling it at 265k for about $500. Never had any pics because it was such a piece of ****.

In April 2009, bought a 95 green 4eat for $100 from a transmission shop and ended up parting it out and made close to $600. It was a lot of fun taking the car apart, and this is how I learned the structure of the car and how things were put together. No pictures of this one either. I drove this car back to my house with the first two automatic gears and it ran like a champ. Ended up junking it for $100 and made my investment back. Car had 228k on it when I got rid of it. No pics of this one.

Bought a 95 blue impreza coupe in may 2009, original owner, great condition, mint interior. This was to be my rally project. I ended up losing interest in the project when my RS got totaled in may 2010. I had a lot of fun working on this car, did a Forester strut swap and painted it myself. I learned a lot about wiring from this car, hardwired a bunch of things to switches, made a push start button, etc. I hit a deer with the RS in October 2009, and that's when I started to realize how mortal a car is and that you can lose it at any moment on the road.

Meanwhile the 95L was still in pieces being worked on in my driveway, so I was forced to drive the RS around like this for a few months. I took the decals off of it and put it back to stock, and just enjoyed having a stock car for once in my life. It was a really great feeling knowing nothing's going to break because all the parts are meant to be there from the factory. I slowly started selling my aftermarket subaru parts in favor of just having a stock car. The 95L was my budget rally car build, and it still had a lot of work to be done.

The RS served as my daily driver again all winter, and it did a great job with only a few breakdowns. Did I mention how much I loved the car?

In May 2010, disaster struck. I was taking a routine drive down a side road, and a woman in a big Dodge van ran a stop sign and totaled my baby. I was completely shocked by the incident and it was a major life change for me. A car I thought I'd have forever was taken from me, and I had no idea what I was going to do. I thought about leaving the Subaru community for good, because I was so frustrated by all the time and effort I had spent on the car making it nice. Carbon fiber hood single-handedly saved the engine. If you get any aftermarket part, GET A CARBON FIBER HOOD.

This all changed when I got my $6100 insurance check, a mere $400 less than the original amount I paid for the car! I realized that Subarus really do hold their value better than any car. I had been itching for another convertible since I first sold my turbo'd Chrysler Lebaron for my RS. It was time for a convertible. Bought a gorgeous 1986 Dodge 600 ES Turbo in late May 2010. The car was all original, only 60,000 miles.

I felt like it was a piece of history, and I didnt want to put miles on it. So I was in another dilemma. I needed a daily driver, and I wanted something I could do anything with. What comes to mind? Another Subaru! No, I couldnt afford another RS with my recent purchase, so I opted for an L. After having three coupes and two sedans, I wanted something I hadnt had before as my daily. I went looking for a 5speed Impreza wagon. After three years of sitting on rs25.com all day, the wagons really started to grow on me because a lot of people really knew how to mod them clean. I just wanted something to keep stock, and a break came about a week after I bought the Dodge. A guy on Nasioc was selling his rallyx/ice racing car, a 1998 Subaru Impreza L Wagon with 190k on it and some rust. As a daily, I didnt give two shits about the rust, or the dents, or anything. I drove up to Albany the next day and took her home! I thought it was a complete steal at $600, the car runs great AND it's a facelift car(RS style interior and newer front end). I recently re-bought this car from my neighbor who I sold it two 6 months ago. He only put about 500 miles on the car in 6 months of ownership. Now it's mine again for good. As of November 2014 the car had rusted to a dangerous level beyond repair and I was forced to part it out and let her go.

The day I bought it in June 2010:

Five years later in August 2015:

GC #7, the 1993 Impreza sedan:
Just bought this car last week to replace my wagon. It's probably the worst Impreza you can find, 1993 with 4eat and FWD and a 1.8L engine. The car has over 260,000 miles, but I bought it just for fun. I'm going to gut it and make a replica V1 555 WRC car out of it. I ended up getting bored of it and driving it to the junkyard. Bought the car for $100, sold $150 in parts out of it, and drove it to scrap for $190.

GC#8, the RSTi coupe project:
By 2014 I had seen so many people with RS coupes that I decided to buy one again. My goal is to make the cleanest Rally Blue STi coupe, as if it were made in the US. I'm retro-modding the car to a 2004 STi EJ257 motor and 99 RS exterior with some sort of gold rims that I havent decided on yet. I picked it up for something like $800 from a friend of a friend and got it towed to my house. I was told the engine was "blown" and it would need a new engine which wasnt a problem because I already had the STi motor for it. It was in pretty rough exterior shape and I ended up getting it towed about 20 minutes home.

The day I first went to look at it:

FASTFORWARD to about March I think. I was planning to pull the motor with some friends on here (bansheeboy11 and others) and we decided to just test out the motor first and see if it cranks. Sure enough it did hand crank, so we new the problem had to be something stupid. It ended up being a burnt wire because the kid tried to wire some sort of switch relay into the starter and fried everything. So we got the stock EJ25D running a few hours later, and the next day I took an RS coupe to work for the first time in four years. Bald tires in the snow, and I had previously never driven it farther than around the block. Brakes were grinding to oblivion, but I was so happy to just drive the car. Snow was falling heavily but I happily drove down the highway in the 30 degree weather with my sunroof open. I missed having a sunroof! Here it is next to the WRX wagon the first day I drove it.

I quickly realized the car was running a little hot. I replaced ****ing everything, the thermostat, radiator, hoses, coolant, EVERYTHING and over the next two months the car drove me insane. I wanted to just drive it stock and burn the engine out before swapping, but I was finally left no choice and decided to go ahead with the STi swap in early June, three weeks before Ocean City AWD Meet 2014.

Old ej25d coming out (these motors suck ass, dont ever get one)

Aaaand its gone! I think I did it by myself in a little less than a day

Customary "in the engine bay photo"

In case anyone is wondering, you CAN do a crossmember swap without completely removing the steering rack and linkage

Working late to get the EJ257 into it's new home

Finished it the night before the car show but didn't feel confident taking it all the way down to Maryland for the week

The wiring was my first actual "merge". It really isnt that hard if you know what youre doing and understand the electronic circuits of the car and generally how it operates. I forgot to mention that I sold the stock front end and doors, and bought a whole Rally Blue front end from a guy parting out for less, so I basically made money just to swap front ends.

GC#9 The Swap Car (94 sedan)
About a month before I started swapping the RS, I came across a 94 stick-shift white impreza beater for $600 up in Poughkeepsie about an hour away. I thought it would be a great candidate as a swap car that I could drive around while I was finishing up my other cars. 176k with a new clutch, all manual everything, all stock, AWD. It was a good deal. The girl had bought it to learn stick and quickly lost interest (probably due to the sloppy shifter) so I happily took it off of her hands. The car is my current daily driver, the first Subaru I've ever had with working AC and it's so great. I dont know how I lived without it for so long and ripped it out of my other cars. $40 completely fills the tank and I'm good for like 340 miles so I can't complain. It finally took it's last drive under my ownership when I crashed it into a curb in the rain and bent the rear lateral links.

GC#10 BRP 2.5RS
I bought this car in December of 2014 on a whim from a member on here who wanted to get rid of it. It ended up serving me very well as a DD for eleven months until my wagon finally rusted apart and needed to be put to rest. As of November 2015 it is currently under the knife.

GC#11 white wagon #2
I had to junk my sleeper Kabab Wagon back in November 2015 so I picked up an identical 98 impreza outback sport from RS25 member arangov as a trade for my forester. It's staying stock for now but I have a stock ej205 sitting in my garage begging to go into it.

GC#12 RBP 2.5RS
After getting rid of the old kabab wagon and BRP RS, I bought my neighbor's stock rally blue pearl RS as an extra car. Since it already has a parking pass for my complex, I can keep it at home without having to park like a million blocks away which is the only reason why I bought it. The car is most likely never going to be modified.

Last edited by Jack_Stalk; 01-09-2018 at 11:58 AM..
Old 05-25-2010, 07:05 AM   #3
Jack_Stalk
www.jackstalk.com

Last edited by Jack_Stalk; 01-09-2018 at 11:55 AM..
Old 05-25-2010, 07:07 AM   #4
itsmyturn
2.2L Turbo

Car: Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Fav Mod: Everything suspension
Trader Rating: (8)

Chrysler TURBO....what are your plans for it? DD?
Old 05-25-2010, 07:51 AM   #5
Jack_Stalk
www.jackstalk.com

The build:

Fastforward to New Year's Eve 2011........ So my cousin has his Subaru-powered Nissan pickup truck, I have my stock 98 wagon. He needs money, I have money. I trade him my green paper for his powertrain and we play musical drivetrains. The ORIGNAL plan is to swap the newly built engine and all the drivetrain parts into my 1998 Subaru Impreza L wagon, then put my wagon subframes into the pickup so we can roll it around. We had no idea what we were getting into.

12/31/2011 DAY ONE

The plan for this day was to get my engine out. Not a hard task with three experienced Subaru people. This was the second most epic New Years Eve I've ever had. The hardest part was keeping a secret about the car for the one week turnaround while we were building the car. We took a 15 minute break to pop champagne and watch the ball drop, but in a few hours we had the engine out and the car was on it's way to a new drivetrain.

The original EJ22 with 215,000m came right out that night, and is now in the hand of it's new owner (mr2fanatic). As of this point in the timeline, it just sat on a stand.

We took off on Monday so I could have dinner with my girlfriend and her dad. The entire night I was preoccupied with this huge task we were undertaking. I took off an entire week of work so we could pull some crazy 12 hour days to get this one. When you're in a rush, alcohol is your friend.

Corona with a shot of Bacardi Limon is the shit. The Bacardi cap ever fits perfectly over the Corona for mixing, as if it were meant to be.

Last edited by Jack_Stalk; 01-09-2018 at 11:54 AM..
Old 06-16-2010, 01:19 PM   #6
Jack_Stalk
www.jackstalk.com

1/3/2012 DAY TWO

The object of this day was to get the drivetrain out of the pickup along with all the wiring and misc. shit I would need. Since his car was basically a tube chassis, this was simple to do because all of the bolts were visible and easy to get to. Well, easier than 215k of Albany rust and dirt that were on my Impreza. Again, three hands are better than one. If you're planning on doing a drivetrain swap, you want as many experienced people as possible. It ALWAYS helps, except when each of those people has a different bolt bucket and we can't find parts that need to go back on the car. After some grinding and cutting we were able to drop the front subframe through the bumper area on the truck.

It's great when you have every single tool you need to face the issues you run into. Otherwise it would be nonstop headaches and we couldn't get this done in a week.

Last edited by Jack_Stalk; 01-17-2018 at 01:29 PM..
Old 06-19-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
Jack_Stalk
www.jackstalk.com

1/4/2012 DAY THREE

Okay, at this point we have everything out of the cars except for the rear subframes so we can drag shit around. My cousin Ryan and his girlfriend Sofia showed up early on this day and pulled my front subframe so I didnt get any pictures of it. The truck was a bitch to pull around with no front wheels. It was light enough for two people to pick the front end up, but we couldnt really carry it that far and decided to leave it outside until we could get the drivetrain into my car and roll it around. The front subframe from my car would go into his car so we could roll it around. This day ended with the engine in my car, and we started some of the wiring. We reused the original harness from his car and I began mating the Impreza accessories to the original harness. Almost all of the plugs were there so it was pretty easy to snag the pinouts and switch everything. I know it would have been easier to merge the original harness into my impreza harness, but we were under time constraints since this was my daily driver and I wanted to have the car in drivable condition ASAP. We figured about 7 days with both of us working on the car to get it fired up by the following Tuesday. I love how the rest of my family stays away for the boring parts, and they magically appear when it's time actually drop the engine in.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:02 PM   #8
Jack_Stalk
www.jackstalk.com

1/5/2012 DAY FOUR

The object here was to get the front subframe into the pickup truck so we could roll it. After that we could get the rear subframe out and finish the rear end in my Subaru. I didnt get any pics of the truck from this point since it was outside and we were working in the dead of winter. It was so retarded cold that I couldnt stand out there for more than a few minutes at a time. Luckily it didnt rain on the Porsche 911 convertible while we left it out there all week. Typical rusty chassis means we had to cut some shit, luckily Ryan had the Plasma cutter.

Stock L driveshaft with U-join vs Stock WRX slip-joint driveshaft. I've been told the WRX one is quieter.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:10 PM   #9
Hobo Joe
Free Supers!!!

Fav Mod: Supers Single Port Header
Trader Rating: (18)

I know of a leggy outback for 2500 if your interested in leggys
Old 07-03-2010, 10:03 AM   #10
Jack_Stalk
www.jackstalk.com

1/6/2012-1/10/2012 DAY FIVE-NINE

With just about all of the physical parts in the car, we just had to finish wiring, bleed brakes, and wait on parts. At this point we needed a fuel pump and had to bolt in all the grounds and dashboard to make the car run. During this time I made sure that the lights, directionals, tach, relays, and misc electronics pieces were installed correctly and ready to fire the car up for the first time. By Monday we had everything set up except for the fuel pump, fuel pump controller, and stock fuel rails with regulator. After a trip into Brooklyn and then a stop in at Broken Motorsports we had everything together by midnight on Tuesday morning. We made a pact that we wouldnt rest until the car fired up, and at 7:15am on Tuesday morning we fired the engine up in it's new home. The open downpipe woke just about everyone up, and the car felt so powerful on the aggressive base tune that was loaded with the tactrix cable. The car needed a good tune to really take advantage of the full set-up that we had.

On January 17, 2012 we got the car tuned up at EFI Logics in Bethel, CT. Those guys are really talented and professional with their work. They were a little skeptical seeing us pull in with a beater wagon sporting a delivery sign. As soon as they pulled it onto the dyno all of the techs flocked to the engine bay to check out exactly what was in there. The head tuner Chris took a picture of it and posted it to their facebook, telling me that he had never tuned a delivery car before. Aside from having to flip switches and mess around with relay wires, it's just as tunable as any other car. The new tune is just awesome, it's a much smoother powerband. I won't say what it puts down on the dyno, but is sure isn't a stock WRX or STi

And that's all I'll say about the car. I chose to edit older posts to save from bumping the journal and letting all the fruitcakes know I have a swapped car.

Last edited by Jack_Stalk; 01-17-2018 at 01:30 PM..