ZeroDrift VS 1999 Impreza 2.5RS - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
ZeroDrift VS 1999 Impreza 2.5RS

Old 05-13-2010, 09:56 AM   #1
ZeroDrift
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: Driver Training.
Trader Rating: (9)
Default ZeroDrift VS 1999 Impreza 2.5RS... (Searching for Satellites)

Well- This is my first attempt at a members journal so please bear with me.

Current state of my Suby:

If you would like specific pictures, please feel free to ask!

Table Of Contents:

Post #'s are hyper-linked to to specific posts.

History: Post # 1
Plans & Goals: Post # 1
Current Projects: Post # 4
Cars I've Owned: Post # 9

Main Topics & Projects:
Engine: Custom Long Rod Setup!
  • Exhaust: Post # 11
  • Engine Removal: Post # 12, 13
  • Engine Tear-down: Post # 15
  • Engine Internals: Post # 53
  • Engine Bay Prep: Post # 21, 22
  • New Parts: Post # 76, 79, 80, 130, 154,
  • Engine Assembly: Post # 47, 89, 91, 98, 142, 145, 146, 163, 168,
  • Throttle Body & Misc components: Post # 149, 150, 153,
  • Re-installation: 174, 179, 209, 216, 219,
  • Turbo/Manifolds: Post # 14, 47, 49, 56, 93
  • Front Assembly Tear-down: Post # 127, 129,
  • Intercooler: Post # 220,
  • Engine Startup Video: Post # 224
Interior:
  • Insulation Project: Post # 72, 73, 74, 161,
  • Coffee Warmer Project: Post # 87
  • Car Safety Kit: Post # 166,

Exterior:
  • Hardware: Post # 155, 156,
  • Polishing Lenses: Post # 158,

Suspension/Wheels:

Modifications:
-Fuel: Post # 3

______________________________ ______________________________ __

History: In July of 2008 I purchased this black Suby which has had a tough life. The original owner had great dreams with the car and decided that boost was the answer. The car was delivered to a shop that rebuilt the stock engine w/ forged components that can handle boost. Also a turbo manifold was constructed and installed. Suffice to say a build like this costs some serious $coin, typically much more than expected.

For whatever reason the first owner decided to sell the mostly finished car. I'd guess that it was either a lack of interest or perhaps finances forced him to sell the car. The next owner took it upon himself to finish the car. A Hydra Nemesis engine management was added to the mix as well as some other goodies. The little Suby was then tuned and was drivable (for the first time perhaps). Due to fueling issues the boost was never turned up.

Fast forward a bit and the second owner decided to sell the car to me. I would come to have a love hate affair with the little black Suby.

Here are several pictures of when I first bought the car in '06:

______________________________ ______________________________ __

Plans and Goals:
My last car was a 1986 Mazda Rx7 Sport-Turbo and I always wanted a daily driver. The 'GC' chassis was always at the top of my list for a year round car. Due to an older gal that made an illegal left turn from oncoming traffic I was forced to let the Rx7 go to the insurance company. I decided to buy this Suby and planned to build the best daily driver I could. I'm just crazy enough to buy a highly modified car and refine the hell out of it. I still miss the Rx7 and I still plan to buy another one after I finish school and settle down.

Overall I envision this as a car that can tackle everything decently well. It should have complaint suspension that won't break the driver and passengers. The exhaust and road noise levels tolerable or hopefully enjoyable. Above all, it needs to be reliable and balanced. Power is nice but is not the largest priority. I hope to get 350-400 Ft-lb of torque and honestly since I don't care to rev this car above 6500RPM I don't really care much about horsepower. Keeping the rev's lower should aid in the longevity of the engine and keep decent fuel economy.

Currently with 1000cc injectors I average 23mpg city, and 30mpg freeway. I know with a proper tune and a new wideband O2 sensor I could get these #'s up a little more.

~Getting tired of typing at this point in time.The rest is just some 'frame work' if you will.

Time passes, changes are made to the car. A friend and I take our cars out for a photo shoot. Photography done by Tim Dugan, who happens to be the friend mentioned as well as the owner of the Mk3 Supra.

Attached Thumbnails
ZeroDrift VS 1999 Impreza 2.5RS-small-sunset.jpg  

Last edited by ZeroDrift; 10-06-2011 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: Because I can!
ZeroDrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2010, 09:59 AM   #2
BlueLegacy
1.8L

Car: 1999 Legacy L winestone pearl
Fav Mod: whiteline sways, seats
Trader Rating: (0)

i love that grill
BlueLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:02 AM   #3
ZeroDrift
2.0L Turbo

Modifications:

Fuel System

I've redone most everything on the car in efforts to have my single refined vision, as opposed to the previous 2 owner's visions. For now I will focus on the fuel system.

The fuel system is currently on 'phase' 2 of my 3 stage plan. I will refer to the original setup by the first 2 owners 'phase' 1.

There were issues with various parts of the fueling system and after a stainless braided line decided to burst under the intake manifold, I decided to build everything from scratch.

Phase 1
The fuel system in its first phase was not sufficient enough to make any decent power, and whenever larger injectors were used mapping anything above 10PSI was a nightmare. As it turns out the FPR was not setup properly, and obviously the injectors were much too small.

Parts:
Injectors: RC Engineering 310cc injectors.
Lines/rails: Custom made fuel rails, with Earl's fittings and stainless braided lines. Fittings and lines are AN6.
FPR: Aeromotive 13110 - Pro-Series EFI Regulator. (Supposedly rated to 2000hp )
Pump: Walbro 255
Filter: Earls in line AN fuel filter

Phase 2
After researching for a while I came upon Injector Dynamics and their modified Bosch injectors. It seems that these would fit in my plans very well as the are able to dispense the fuel very accurately, which is difficult for larger injectors to do. I like to think of it in the following way. Small injectors are like a sink faucet. You can easily fill a small glass with water in a nice controlled fashion. Large injectors are like a fire hydrant. They are able to flow much more than the puny sink faucet, but filling the same small glass becomes very difficult. I've often heard stories in the past where people have a very difficult time controlling idle AFR's due to the injectors either putting too much, or too little fuel in the combustion chambers.

With new injectors in hand I made new fuel rails to fit the rather small Bosch 1000cc injectors without using spacers. Using new Russel fittings, and Aeroquip Kevlar & Nomex braided lines a new fuel system took shape. I chose these fuel lines for several reasons. These lines are light and very strong, not to mention fire retardant. Being a daily driven car, anything that aids in safety or simplicity is ideal. Everything was rerouted for efficiency and simplicity. The fuel fails are run in parallel, but are unequal length between fuel rails. When I decide to turn boost above 15PSI I plan to compensate for any flow discrepancies between cylinders by making adjustments to each individual injector as opposed to having all 4 flow evenly. I figure this would be more practical than having the flow rates between each intake and exhaust runner identical. Much less this would also compensate between any flow rate differences is the fuel system. Every design has flaws and trying to compensate by making everything even can only go so far, not to mention that engines are dynamic systems with constantly changing variables. So it stands to reason that flow rates between cylinders may change at various temperatures and velocities.

Parts:
Injectors: Injector Dynamics 1000cc Bosch injectors.
Lines/Rails: New custom made fuel lines and Aeroquip Starlight fuel hose. System is still sized with AN6 fittings.
FPR: Same Aeromotive 13110 regulator. Now mounted on the intake manifold as opposed to the drivers side engine bay.
Pump: Same Walbro pump, but with a much larger sock filter.
Filter: Russel in line fuel filter. Has a better filter with a higher filtration rate.

Phase 3
In efforts to keep fuel demands met while in corners a surge tank will be implemented in the spare tire well. The surge tank will be fed by the Walbro 255 pump. An Aeromotive or Bosch fuel pump will be submersed in the surge tank and new fuel lines routed to the engine bay. With the new lines and extra flow capacity of the extra fuel pump I will be able to use ethanol instead of fuel. This is more for flexibility should fuel prices rise, or ethanol prices drop. I plan to build a steel cage in the spare tire well which will bolt to several select points that can break or collapse in the event of a rear collision. The surge tank will be securely mounted to the steel frame and if room permits I may use the same frame to hold a water/meth tank.

This concludes the fuel system.

Last edited by ZeroDrift; 05-13-2010 at 12:12 PM..
Old 05-13-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
ZeroDrift
2.0L Turbo

Current Projects: (Current as of 1/16/2011)

Ongoing Projects:
  • Misc Electrical

Back Burner Projects:
  • Better Induction Box
  • Fuel Surge Tank
  • Modify and Strengthen Skid Plates

Last edited by ZeroDrift; 06-14-2011 at 07:30 PM..
Old 05-13-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
ALL NATURAL
2.2L Turbo

Fav Mod: Bed / Forester Suspension
Trader Rating: (6)

I was planning on building a box somewhat like that for my intake setup too but I was going to cut a hole in the top of it and make a shroud that mates up to the HTautos Scoop/vent I have also.

Looks great!
ALL NATURAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:38 AM   #6
ZeroDrift
2.0L Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALL NATURAL View Post
I was planning on building a box somewhat like that for my intake setup too but I was going to cut a hole in the top of it and make a shroud that mates up to the HTautos Scoop/vent I have also.

Looks great!

This is just a rough prototype I made in a few hours. It needs refinement with the hinges and I need to sort out a proper air feed to the air filter. I think I am going to use the passenger side mini vent, but I may use that for an oil cooler instead. My biggest priority at this point is completing my home made 'air oil separator', testing it and finally installing it.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
VWscooby
formerly subidub

Fav Mod: Saving for Body & Paint
Trader Rating: (27)

nice clayton! finlly stepped up your game and made a members journal!
Old 05-13-2010, 10:50 AM   #8
ZeroDrift
2.0L Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWscooby View Post
nice clayton! finlly stepped up your game and made a members journal!

I figured it would help me sort out my thoughts and get some feedback on various projects. You certainly found this pretty fast!
Old 05-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #9
ZeroDrift
2.0L Turbo

Cars I've owned:

First car was a 1991 Civic Wagon. It was the family car and served me very well for many years. Eventually I began to tinker and eventually rims, suspension, engine and more were exchanged for bigger and better. Eventually I had swapped in a B16 into the car and a AEM big brake kit to balance things out and satisfy my need for some more power. For a family wagon the car drove amazingly well.

After fixing the car from several fender benders I decided to retire the car and parted it out. I found a replacement in the form of an 1986 Mazda Rx7. Bought the car in So Cal while visiting my better half and her father.

After owning the car for a while I realized I overpaid for the car, but at least I happened to snag the model that I wanted. As it turned out the car had some bearings failing on the transmission and every gear other than 4th 'gear' sounded like it was about to explode. Limped the car back to WA in a nonstop drive and fell in love with my purchase regardless of its faults.

Immediately upon my arrival the transmission and the rear differential were replaced with a stronger Turbo II units and I started on the maintenance. I had been planning to swap in a good condition engine from a Turbo II model and eventually and I had CorkSport perform the work as Real Estate kept me much too busy at the time. To keep the car looking like a non turbo I had CorkSport design and build a FMIC to my specifications. The core was to be 24*12*3 and would be angled behind the factory grill to keep things as discrete as possible.

In the end, the car looked stock, but drove exceptionally well. I've auto crossed the car for over 2 years, as enjoyed many road trips throughout the life of the car without incident. In 2006 the car met its end as an older gal made an illegal left hand turn from oncoming traffic while I was traveling through the intersection. The damage wasn't bad but with my (now past) career with Real Estate and encouragement from others I decided it was time to move on. I concluded my dealings with the insurance after a month or so, and settled on a $ value for my beloved Rx7. After wards I came upon my current car, a 1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS.

Last edited by ZeroDrift; 06-17-2010 at 02:03 PM..
Old 05-29-2010, 08:50 AM   #10
ZeroDrift
2.0L Turbo

Well its time for an update:

I bought a Cobb catback exhaust for my car and am waiting on a 3" stainless flange and a stainless resonator before I install the exhaust. I hope this setup will be very quiet and mellow. I will post pictures of the setup when I have everything installed.

I am also doing a rebuild on the engine! I ran into a client of mine from a while back and realized he is a great machinist, and he agreed to help me out with a rebuild for an unbeatable price! Pending on order time for over-sized pistons I may be upping displacement to 2.6L with some Darton sleeves very soon!