My pain in the aspen: NO its not done yet... - Page 672 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
My pain in the aspen: NO its not done yet...

Old 04-11-2019, 07:02 AM   #6711
Bansheeboy11
I ❤ BOOBIES

Fav Mod: 300K Club
Trader Rating: (59)

Yeh im going to baby it for the weekend and work on getting my 6MT rebuilt
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2019, 07:07 AM   #6712
TerryJr
Experimenter

Fav Mod: AAA Premier
Trader Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bansheeboy11 View Post
Yeh im going to baby it for the weekend and work on getting my 6MT rebuilt
i was just doing 2nd to 4th shifts to get mine home from work after i started hearing it
Old 04-11-2019, 07:13 AM   #6713
Bansheeboy11
I ❤ BOOBIES

Same i was just cruising home after dinner
Old 04-11-2019, 01:57 PM   #6714
bue car

Fav Mod: Which car?
Trader Rating: (173)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryJr View Post
i was just doing 2nd to 4th shifts to get mine home from work after i started hearing it
I still think that was too much for you to spend just to make a video for us to see.

Quote:
Same i was just cruising home after dinner
You ate too much.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:06 PM   #6715
TerryJr
Experimenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bue car View Post
I still think that was too much for you to spend just to make a video for us to see.

You ate too much.
I strive to bring authentic content
Old 04-16-2019, 06:01 AM   #6716
Bansheeboy11
I ❤ BOOBIES

Post-race report from the dragon over the weekend is good! Ill write up an update later, im catching up on a few hundred emails from work
Old 04-16-2019, 06:12 AM   #6717
TerryJr
Experimenter

Quote:
Post-race report from the dragon over the weekend is good! Ill write up an update later, im catching up on a few hundred emails from work
voicemail box is the worst
Old 04-16-2019, 06:53 AM   #6718
Bansheeboy11
I ❤ BOOBIES

Nah our voicemail here is a shared inbox so the other guys (three of us here) can get those, i only have to listen to voicemails to my direct line. I took two days off and have 180 emails to look through. I handle 70 dealers in NY/NJ and 95% of them are whiny cry babies that think their entitled to be first in line for everything, the worst dealers in the country. I have one shared voicemail box, one private, then i have one shared email and one private, then i have 4 other inboxes for various things like claims, warehouse issues etc etc. Its mayhem all the time.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:47 AM   #6719
Bansheeboy11
I ❤ BOOBIES

Post-race report:

Suspension: The rebuilt dampers worked great, the front dampers are ten clicks from full soft (out of 30) and the rears are twelve clicks (out of 30). The 6K rear springs helped quite a bit with rear squat and rubbing but werent enough to keep the inside front tire from lifting out of a hard corner however i dont want anything stiffer in the car due to hurting ride quality any further. The Koni bump stops work like a charm, they offer a very soft and progressive bottom-out when the full travel is used like hard undulations or landing from being airborne, if i reach the bump stops mid corner the car is not upset at all and is predictable until i run out of grip which brings me to the next issue.

Camber. Rear camber. I dont have enough ( about 2.6-2.8* right now) and i physically cannot set more negative camber into the suspension, the struts are just millimeters from the body of the car, wheels are about 3mm from the strut bodies and i cannot move to wider control arms due to tire rubbing issues, so my options are to move to a 235/225 width and try to move the lateral links to a wider setting pushing the wheels out. Front camber has more room to go and is needed, the car has sluggish turn in and noticable understeer when exiting corners.

Drivetrain: So not having second gear hurt me in tight corners down there, i played with the mapping of the car and ran the anti-lag down to 3K rpm but it didnt help as much as i needed to keep up with the fast car i was driving with (Lotus Exige) I think the front LSD is causing some natural understeer, and i believe the rest of the understeer is caused by camber loss due to the front end alignment moving during travel. The driveshaft is really bad, vibrations pretty much all the time are causing leaks at both the diff and trans seals so that one is trash, ill be getting the 6MT ready for this car so the one piece driveshaft will have to be cut down and rebuilt so ill get to that when i have the money. The rear diff was working good and has always given good predictable oversteer and controllable slide if needed entering/exiting corners. The DCCD has an issue and seems to be too agressive with the LSDs but the 6MT wont have that issue as i plan on leaving the OEM helical diff up front and suretrac in the rear.

Engine: This was the MVP of the weekend, the Exige my buddy has makes about 250whp, my car makes slightly more on the current wastegate spring (~15psi boost pressure) and were dead even in a straight, he puts the power down quicker and has much better turn in, its a very fast car but we were fairly close running up and down the dragon. I ballpark his power:weight at 0.110 and my car around 0.093, he would get a slight gap on me exiting corners but i can reel him in once i can straighten the car out, mind you i had no use of second gear and half of the corners are second gear.

In comes the anti-lag, this helped a ton with throttle/turbo response when i needed to lift and then get back in it, it also helped with lag when exiting corners in third gear. The turbo starts pushing some useable air around 3200-3400 and is at target boost around 3800 (15psi) and holds consistant power all the way to 6800 or so when i have it tapering off. Its a nice meaty power band and is perfect for the Dragon, the tune ive been working on for a year was also really solid so im happy with that.

The only downside of the anti-lag was that i obliterated my vibrant muffler, so ill get the genome on it so i can drive something quiter for a while and look into better quality stainless mufflers like Burns or something to use in the future.

I think going forward with the car is to get the 6MT in it, and iron out the front end traction issues. Im going to leave the sway bars in the car (STI pink 21mm F/R) because i think the extra weight from the trans will help a little, almost every GC ive done a 6MT swap with has cornered better from where the weight is added.

Last edited by Bansheeboy11; 04-16-2019 at 01:51 PM..
Bansheeboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:53 AM   #6720
Bansheeboy11
I ❤ BOOBIES

I also got to drive a BRZ for more than ten minutes over the weekend. I spent a day driving it, it had bolt ons, exhaust, coil over struts and tires. My two issues were my feet (shoes) are too big to heel toe and work the clutch, and the seat in the rear-most position where i have to have it, its still to high and the steering column doesnt come back far enough to be comfortable for me, but that was all expected.

Ive driven this exact car on track, with stock everything except pads and it was fun but slow and soft. Now with those extra parts, its an absolute animal in the woods. The turn in on that car is phenomenal, the power (with the exhaust and tune) is super flat and usable when throwing the car around, another 20-30hp would be a nice addition when you can get the car down a striaght away but the car really really shines in the twisties. I wish i had the money/excuse to buy one, i totally would.