Nicole _ Another swap story - Page 9 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Nicole _ Another swap story

Old 07-12-2015, 07:34 PM   #81
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Fav Mod: ej205
Trader Rating: (8)

Managed a few hours in the garage yesterday and knocked a couple things off the list. Planning to get out there after work a couple days this week, and all next weekend.

Getting messy 'round here;

Started by pulling the steering rack free and cleaning up the front crossmember. Got it all spiffied up and swapped in the new steering rack bushings(forgot to snap a finished photo). Also cleaned the LCA's and pulled the stock alk. Tried to push the front bushings out, but the lca doesn't fit will in the press. Torch was back at my house so I decided to skip those and move on.

Before;

After;

Bushings going in;

Cleaned the one good axle, going to replace the other since I'm not sure how long it was run dry with the split boot;

Next I pulled out the passenger side rear trailing arm and lat links. Cleaned them up and started swapping some bushings. Read a couple posts about pushing the harder duro poly bushings could be finicky getting them center and in - definitely not an understatement. First time ever using a press so there was a bit of a learning curve as well. I definitely need to get bearing/seal driver kit or some sort.. Used a 1-1/4" socket and successfully pressed the bushing out of the lat link and into the socket.. haha had to stop and snap a facepalm moment on that. After I found some correct sized sockets it went pretty well. A little tough to get the bushings started, but once you get it centered they slide right in. Didn't have a good drift/spacer so I still need to get the trailing arm bushings swapped.

The press setup;

Before;

Cleaned;

Bushing pressed in socket

Next chance I'll keep moving down the list and cleaning/swapping bushings. Feels good getting a couple bushings in, and getting close to having all the scrubbing done. I've put a dent in my purple power stockhold. Might have to pick up the pace on myself if I'm going to make it by my end of summer deadline!
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2015, 09:43 AM   #82
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Driver's side links and arm cleaned up and new bushings in the links last night

Old 07-14-2015, 10:14 AM   #83
Osgood30
2.7L

Car: 99 Impreza RSTI
Trader Rating: (4)

Quote:
sweet "boxer" engine
Osgood30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:24 AM   #84
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

oh-so-good, that's some witty banter! Haha hell I wouldn't mind hearing ANY 'boxer' engine start at this point
Old 09-14-2015, 10:39 AM   #85
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Been too damn long without toolin on the old girl. Been busy with a ped repair shop I bought out.. Sold all the bikes and I'm moving back onto the swap. My road worthy deadline before winter moves in is starting to put some pressure on me!

Electrical guru friend(cooper) came with to help start laying in the merged harness. He was heading into the garage to check out how much cleaning I've done on the shell. I hear him yell back WTF?! Walked over to find my parents garage has gotten so damp from the humidity there was a bit of mildew growing on a backpack I had sitting on my stool. Immediately a wave of worry.. Opened the door to find sure enough... a bit of mildew on the pleathery bits inside the cabin!!! FFuuuu. Didn't even care about the finish, grabbed a couple bottles of clorox and cleaned up the whole interior. Luckily only the door cards and wheel were in there, rest of the interior is back at my house. Going to the garage after work to put my dehumidifier inside the car. Can only blame myself, been right at a month since that side of the garage has been open and aired out any. Damn my bojangling tendencies.. Didn't nab any photos, wasn't pretty, but wasn't too bad either.

With that all cleaned up we drank a beer and started in on the harness. Iwire did a superb job on the merge. After staring at it up close and personal there's not a single complaint. Top notch workmanship! Only had an hour or so left after the cleanup but we managed to make a bit of headway. Also Coop looked at what we'll need for all my headunit/speaker/backup cam install. (Add kenwood subaru pigtail to the list)

Glad I took a stash of photos/vids, it's been a bit of a puzzle getting everything back in it's place. Enjoying this part for sure, hoping to get some momentum going;

With the swap being a half an hour drive away I've(as much as I hate to admit it) almost forgotten about it for short stints.. So to remedy this I placed my lovely fenders in my bedroom floor as a daily reminder what I need to be focusing on.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:12 PM   #86
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Managed to lock myself in the garage for the whole weekend. Got a few things done, tied up a few loose ends I left laying around, and cleaned/organized around the shop. Also got to soak in my dad's hot tub after laying on the concrete floor all night

Friday I moved a few things around. Parents were out of town for the weekend so I was able to spread my wings a bit into the other side of the garage. Laid out and prepped a few parts to be cleaned Saturday. Friend came by so we drank beers and kick cans around the shop for a while. Pulled my rear hubs out to break down and inspect. Started on the drivers first since it was my noise maker. Pulled the rotor to find the Ebrake spring rubbing the tone ring(video).. Bearing spins smooth as butter, questioning if I'll replace the bearings right now as they all appear to be usable. Pulled the passenger rear hub apart, all clear, just needs new ebrake bits. I need to check my parts bin, pretty sure I bought a pair of wrx hubs when I replaced my pass rear last year. Also fairly certain I have a complete set of wrx calipers and brackets boxed up somewhere. I will probably do a rattle can job on those, just what I need more mini projects(and debate on color).. I have been hard at buying/selling motos and peds this summer. If a couple pending deals work out I'll have a little more play cash to finish out this phase right. The list is short, but there are a couple puzzle pieces I had to nix to fit the budget.

Saturdary I started out bright and early(noon) cleaning up the remaining undercarriage parts. All came out well, rear subaframe has some rust, may or may not hit it with some rustolium..

Before;

Drying rack;

Finding it harder to enjoy cleaning parts at this point. So it was nice to have a toy for breaks and stress relievers;

Freshened up and swapped out my shifter setup. I went with my old rs short shifter to keep the feel as close to before. I think the wrx has the spt shifter. Not sure what brand mine is as it came on the car, but its similar to a kartboy.

Cleaned with my rs short shifter and fresh bushings

Pulled the filler neck in prep for in new replacement. Also pulled and cleaned the cap surround/shroud for a bit more cleaning;

Getting a bit cramped here. Really looking forward to finding a place with a decent shop setup

Cut the m11x1.5 bolt(not the easiest or cheapest sized bolt to find..) off to length for the RSB mount. Threaded in like a glove, tightened it, but haven't torqued it. Still a bit nervous if there was enough meat for a 100% secure thread. Only time(and torque) will tell.

Had some extra hands around the shop saturday night. So we went ahead and mocked up the rear end to check my tire/fender clearances with the new track width. Turned out lookin damn good! It was a thrown together eyeball alignment, but looks like I may be close enough skip slotting my rear struts. No diff or axles, bolts semi tightened, alignment.. probably off.

First time sitting on her new hind legs.

No skirt on so it looks a bit wonky;

That rust spot is going to be sliced up and cleaned out soon. Decided I didn't care about paint at all. Just need it healthy.

Photo sucks, but I was half drunk and went through the effort of taking it.. so;

Old bushing box is growing;

Freshened trans xmember up;

Out with the old in with the new;

Few things knocked off the list(more added..);

Sunday Cooper came by to help with wiring some more. We made some decent progress in the cabin. Need to run a couple wires through the fender and figure out the brackets for the fuel pump controller and a couple other components(under dash and engine bay). I'm going to try and read up to learn what the hell they actually are. Got the fuel pump control wire soldered in and will tape up the wires under the kick plate unit once the rear cam is run.

Just need to sort through my new headunit/speakers, reverse cam, and security system wiring and we'll be ready to start assembling the dash(wiring wise). I'll probably finish out the wrx pedal box swap and dead pedal before dash install.

Sneak peak at my other hobby/ocd fueled habbit, going to attempt a time lapse setup of the rebuild from here out. Have 1 gopro I'll be doing an overall and another I'll move with me for close ups. Unfortunately the gopro will only do 1 minute photo timer so its going to be a royal pain to compose and edit. Should be a fun vid to look back on though;

[Note to self - put below into ToDo post, and update ToBuy list with what I added on tool box list]
A couple things I noticed over the weekend;
-Wiring is for RS CC, was hoping to run wrx unit with the shorter cable(look at cable modification and/or swapping to a wrx unit)

Need to start figuring out bracketry;
-What brackets from the wrx are still needed(Any under dash wrx's I can use?,
-Brackets to be modified(passenger strut tower vacuum bracket, fuel pump controller)
-New brackets needed(intake?)
Old 09-22-2015, 06:45 AM   #87
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

Fav Mod: BOOOOOOST!!
Trader Rating: (75)

yay for progress!
Old 09-24-2015, 10:44 AM   #88
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

^ Right right!

Dropped my mustacheio bar, trailing arm, control arms, and rear hubs off at my local shop. Decided I have bigger fish to fry than fight the tougher bushings out. Got my press so cheap I still had some change left in that budget(justifying it to myself).. Guys are good dudes, the mechanic that'll be doing the work is a subie head as well. They cut me a slice off since parts are off the car, but I'm paying for the convenience, so told em to make it worth their while. (Note to self add bearing press tool/kit of sort to buy later list. big socket set maybe?). Hoping to have them swapped out and ready go by this weekend, but figure it'll be ~Tuesday. Just need to order a few bits, then once the swapped bushings come back I'll be ready for rear end assembly.

Had planned to be out of town this weekend, but those plans have dissolved. So I'll be hauling parts for my two wheeled scheming and will block out a night or possibly 2 for this beaut
Old 10-04-2015, 02:50 PM   #89
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Still waiting for the shop to finish swapping the bushings. Realized after I dropped them off that I included the bad rear drivers hub, luckily they were slow to start and I picked it up before the new bushin was pressed in. Guy was sweating the front control arm bushings, said they were going to rip the "ears" off. I assumed he was talking about the flanged sides on the bushing, let hope he was wrong. I told him to grease em up and push them in.

No photos, forgot the gopros at home last night, but we managed to get the heater core and blower box reinstalled. Also mounted the fuel pump controller. Some surface rust has grown on the dash beam so we called it quits for the night. I'll scuff off the rust and rub it down with something before reinstall. Hoping to get back out there this week sometime.

Only 7 more weekends until the shred season starts gearing up..
Old 10-07-2015, 06:58 AM   #90
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Nabbed a photo when I was out tooling monday after work

Not much more work done.. Got the dash beam cleaned up and installed. Some more wiring hooked up and routed. Realized I need to run a few through my fender so I pulled that grommet, untaped and prepped to run the cables through.

Need to get an order together on some essential bits pronto. Just over 50 days until my completion deadline. Getting nervous!