Nicole _ Another swap story - Page 8 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Nicole _ Another swap story

Old 05-11-2015, 07:59 PM   #71
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Fav Mod: ej205
Trader Rating: (8)

Thanks for the encouragement mang!! Can use all of it I can get.

Got the pedal box and steering wheel pulled last thursday after work. Was easy going wrenching except until it came to pulling the wheel off the column. Had to put a damn ratchet strap on to pop it loose. Tomorrow I'll get the shifter linkage and the engine bay accessories pulled. Not sure what all I will end up using, but I'll probably pull everything I can from the wrx engine bay. Buyer will be here wednesday to pick it up. Once he gets it on the lift I'll swing by his way and get the rs crossmembers back. I did get to check the shaft play on the td04, ziltch! It's spot on, I'm nearly certain that the smoke coming from the engine after test driving was the mouse nest issue(actually found the little guy while pulling the engine. Caught him and set him free out in the woods. Pretty sure back back inside though haha..

I keep prying on myself that I should at least do the headgasket and probably a clutch job while I have it out, but I just don't want to dig into another rabbit hole right yet. I'm looking to just drop this engine in as is and free up my parents garage again. I've considered a garage addition to my current house but its just not worth it. So I'm on the lookout to rent or buy a small spot/garage that will be a bit more car project friendly.

So close and yet so far

WRX engine bay photos for future reference;

Advertisement

Old 05-14-2015, 08:26 AM   #72
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Got everything I believe I'll need pulled from the donor shell earlier this week. Buyer will be here this afternoon to load up and take her home! I've been feeling a bit claustrophobic in the garage with the old parts, new parts, RS shell and wrx donor shell. So I'm pumped to get the donor out and be able to reorganize the parts/tools.

Last photos of the donor;

More engine bay for future reference(with most components removed)

Posi camber gang!(rs xmember/lca's on the wrx)

Parts pile, need to spend some time organizing then moving into cleaning her up

Goodies for the glovebox;

Pretty sure I got everything on the list

Found this unit when starting to organize, only part I'm not sure where it came from/goes. Pretty sure it's from the RS interior, but I'm stumped. Google image search came up with zilch..

Last edited by steezin_and_wheezin; 05-14-2015 at 08:30 AM..
steezin_and_wheezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:10 AM   #73
stg2lgcy00
3.3L

Car: 1999 2.5RS
Fav Mod: EJ205+6spd
Trader Rating: (12)

Glove box plate, nah don't need it! lol
stg2lgcy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:36 AM   #74
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Many thanks stg2!!

Got the wrx shell loaded up and off to its new home. Really glad to see it go to someone that will rebuild and make her road worthy again. The guy I sold it to is a subaru genius and a genuine good guy. Learned lots from him already and look forward to another great subie friendship.

Pulling the shell with no steering and only an e-brake out of the garage/driveway was a bit of a wrestle. Made it without any issues though! The last photo of the shell(forgot to snap one after loading on his trailer);
Old 05-30-2015, 01:50 PM   #75
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Haven't been able to get back to get in the garage lately. A little bday surprise, this guy showed up local and cheap so I jumped on it.

Heading to the garage tonight to start cleaning up the the diffs and maybe paint the outrigger bar. Hopefully picking up a little hydraulic press to push the bushings around myself.

Last edited by steezin_and_wheezin; 05-30-2015 at 03:16 PM..
steezin_and_wheezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:21 PM   #76
STLGC8
2.0L

Trader Rating: (0)

Hey we're really close to each other! Tazewell Va here.... currently restoring an rs and just started my member journal here. Good luck on your swap!
STLGC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:06 AM   #77
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Nice STL! I had already read over your resto, you've made some decent progress already! We'll definitely have a catch up sometime. My company has an office in Tazewell so I make it down that way every now and then.

Got the garage a bit more organized last night, but didn't dig into anything.. Working OT today, hoping to get back in there this week sometime. I did pick up a decent little Central Hydraulic 6 ton press for dirt cheap yesterday. Little bench top a-frame style, I think it will do decent to push the bushings. I'm trying to figure out the best spacers - going to gather the lot up and see what sockets I can use. Then get a machinist friend to make me the odd ball sizes. Have a tub of purple power, brushes and pressure washer ready to clean up the crossmembers.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:42 AM   #78
STLGC8
2.0L

Trader Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steezin_and_wheezin View Post
Nice STL! I had already read over your resto, you've made some decent progress already! We'll definitely have a catch up sometime. My company has an office in Tazewell so I make it down that way every now and then.
I still have so much to do once it comes back from the body shop but I'll document everything and be updating everyone. Whenever you think youll be down this way let me know!
STLGC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:33 PM   #79
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Pretty good weekend in the garage. Got the rest of the parts more organized. Finally finished drilling and tapped the rear sway mount hole that was thrashed. Still need to get a bolt, test make sure its solid, and drill the rear sway mount for the larger size. Even though I'm still not done I'm relieved to get it tapped and out of the way. Now I can return the taps I borrowed off a friend months ago haha. While I was down there I cleaned up the charcoal canister some of the undercarriage and test fitted the whiteline sway mounts. Clears the filler tube perfecto, just had to trim the muffler heat shield a bit.

Took some time and finished cleaning up the wheel wells and struts. Talk about weight reduction, guarantee I knocked off a few pounds of crud. Here's an old before photo of the passenger front well. Not very pretty photos, but it was brutal and dirty work so I'm going to show them off anyway!

Pulled the rear wrx crossmember apart. Everything went smoothly, just need to replace the lat link bolts since they took a beating to free up.

Dad caught me napping on the job haha..

Going to order my filler neck, some misc hardware, and alarm/remote start system this week. I'm thinking since the hubs are off and free(and I have the press I'm itching to find more things to use it on) I'll probably get 4 fresh wheels bearings to press in.

Feeling pretty good about where I am, but damn time flies. Already June, but on track to finish by my loose end of summer deadline
Old 06-29-2015, 01:09 PM   #80
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Still haven't ordered the remaining parts.. Need to get the filer neck and new hardware for the retapped RSB mount so I'll be ready to reassemble once I get the bushings swapped out. Also need to pick up another wrx front axle.

I managed a few hours over the weekend, no photos though. I got the front crossmember pulled apart and ready for cleaning. Everything came apart fairly easily, the tie rod arm puller I got was too large so a little pickle forking and I had the tie rods and ball joints separated. Front wheel bearings feel smooth as butter, forgot to spin the rears to see if my original assessment was correct(bad rear passenger bearing). Still need to spin the wrx rear diff to check it's condition.

Next time I get in the garage I'll be using my giant 2.5 gallon of purple power to clean both crossmembers and all links/arms. Then start with swapping the steering rack bushings and move my way through the front xmember/LCA to the rear/links.

On a personal note; Wish I had a few more days off and/or my garage was closer. Free time is getting harder to find. My brother is looking to move towards Richmond since he and his gf are getting more serious. We currently own our house together, so I'm on the hunt for a new spot with a garage/shop big enough for my moto's and subaru projects. No question, I will definitely be installing a lift if space allows!