Nicole _ Another swap story - Page 7 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Nicole _ Another swap story

Old 03-11-2015, 08:10 AM   #61
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Fav Mod: ej205
Trader Rating: (8)

Broke Bolt Ramblings; Took another swing at removing the broken extractor in the broken sway mount bolt last night. Started off by attempting to crack the extractor with a punch, easier said then done.. Wailed on it for a while before giving up on that. Switched to a left handed bit and successfully drilled out the extractor. Unfortunately just as the bit cleared through it bound up and broke off in the bolt as well! Had a little laugh at that one.. Used a punched to knock it through and I'll use a magnet wand to pull the bit's tip out of the drain plug. Not going to attempt using an extractor again and bolt is sheared off flush so no chance to welding anything to it. So I stepped up my bit size and started drilling it all out. Drill battery died before getting all the way through though. After I get it drilled I'm going to tap it for a larger bolt if there's enough meat. Trying not to use a helicoil, but that's the next step before cutting the trunk floor open to replacing the welded nut. Can't wait to finally get over this hurdle and dig into the rebuild!
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2015, 01:37 PM   #62
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubby snack View Post
Cars looking great, good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieShane View Post
How much did your donor cost you if you don't mind me askin? I'm trying to get an idea of how much I'm gonna spend when I do mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat4awd View Post
Looks good. I think the wiring will slow you down the most, but you're already sending it to iWire which is a good choice.
Thanks guys! Sorry I've been so busy learning and research I haven't had much time to read over my own thread

@ Shane - I got a nutter deal on my donor, the kind of deal that ruins you for any future buys(everything else will seem way overpriced..). Location has a lot to play in price as well, but if I was searching for another donor I'd have $2k-$2.5k ready. That's what I originally had in the kitty. Got mine for much less than that, so I had extra to spend elsewhere. Donor is definitely the way to go, especially if you plan to swap more than just the engine
Old 03-11-2015, 02:40 PM   #63
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

Fav Mod: BOOOOOOST!!
Trader Rating: (75)

sub'd. looks awesome dude.

5 spokes look the best between the two.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:03 PM   #64
xFixKaos
1.8L

Trader Rating: (0)

NICE looking cars man im gonna keep checking this out
xFixKaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:53 AM   #65
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Thanks fella's, heading back to the garage after work to hopefully finish drilling out that damn bolt. Snowshoe's slopes are open for 4 more weekends, so I'll be WV bound fri-sun for those. After that I'll be in the garage every weekend and any other chance I can manage.

Started putting together my ToDo list, not even close to finished and I'm already over 2 pages haha.. Top things I'm antsy for; hear exhaust, see wider track width, and feel bushing/suspension upgrades
Old 03-12-2015, 08:46 PM   #66
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Success! Drilled a bit off center, but there's plenty of meat to tap for a bigger size. Hoping to only tap it 1 step bigger, but may have to go a couple bigger since I was off and took some threads out. Only have standard taps, so I'm going to borrow a friend's metric set and tap it first thing next week.

Spent a few hours here

The wounded soldiers and the culprit

Just a bit off center..
Old 05-02-2015, 11:08 PM   #67
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

2 months of nothing, all my free time was spent at Snowshoe til mid April. Still haven't tapped that damn sway mount hole.. Wanted to move onto pulling the wrx donor apart and getting the shell off to its new owner. So I dug in last weekend, got the rear end swapped out for my RS rear crossmember/hubs(only cell photo). Pulled the engine/trans tonight, and will get the fronts swapped over this week.

Can't wait to get the shell out of the garage and load it up on the buyer's trailer. I'll use that bit of change to scoop my alarm/remote start and a new filler neck. Just a couple parts left to buy
Old 05-03-2015, 11:24 PM   #68
Spec R
3.3L

Fav Mod: CA BAR sticker
Trader Rating: (5)

wow lots of time/money - hope u get it done soon!
Spec R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:02 AM   #69
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

'Preciate it SpecR! More time than money in it right now, but I'm not finished just yet..

Got the front crossmembers swapped out on the donor last night. Should get the pedal box, steering wheel, and all engine bay components I'm keeping pulled this Thursday. Then I'll be ready to pass the shell off to her new owner!

No photos from last night, but I've decided I'm going to make a little time lapse video of the complete rebuild. Going to shoot photos at certain intervals and stitch them together. Planning to have 1 setup in the same spot each time for the full timelapse, then have another for closeups/different angles of each part I'm working on. Been too long since I've done a film/photo project
Old 05-06-2015, 07:45 AM   #70
mndylanb
1.8L

Car: swapped 98 rs DBP
Fav Mod: vf39/sti injectors/
Trader Rating: (0)

wooooo!!!! solid build you got here. I just finished my sti swap. My shell sat for 8 months and at times I questioned if it was worth the time/money. That first pull on full boost was worth it all!! keep up this sick build.
mndylanb is offline   Reply With Quote