Nicole _ Another swap story - Page 5 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Nicole _ Another swap story

Old 01-10-2015, 10:25 PM   #41
amalik
1.8L

Trader Rating: (0)

u obv made the right choice
amalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2015, 07:43 AM   #42
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Fav Mod: ej205
Trader Rating: (8)

Even with a bum leg, limited space, and Minimal knowledge I succeeded at pulling the old lug out. Figured I was going to run into a lot more roadblocks along the way. Hit a few snags, but worked through them easily with all I've learned while researching on the forums. This has given me some extra motivation to attempt the swap myself. Still on the fence if I'll get someone to lend a hand, but I'm leaning back towards attempting it myself!

Had to;

Some ramblings on the wrx donor;
Checked the WRX donor over to determine what exactly was wrong with it. Previous owner said he took it to a shop and they claimed a bad rear diff. I've driven it around the driveway and could hear some weird squealing from the rear. I got it up on jackstands and couldn't hear anything from the center or rear diffs. Passenger rear wheel bearing is definitely shot though! So after a bit more listening I determined the noisy hub was what I was hearing in the cabin. So I took it for a quick spin around the neighborhood. Warmed her up, crept around the dead end road, did some slow turns around the cul de sac to see if I felt anything funny from the diffs. Then sat with the hood up for a bit to inspect. Everything looked, smelled, and sounded great. On the way home I took a couple 2nd gear ~75% throttle pulls to about 6k. Parked it and noticed a bit of white smoke coming from around the turbo.. Hoping it was just from sitting for a couple months. I'll be checking it over more once I get the harnesses out to Iwire. A located guy is going to let me use a spare harnesses instead of pulling my donor's. So I'll be able to go through the ej205 with a fine toothed comb before pulling it from the shell.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:22 PM   #43
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

I decided I'd stop being lazy and I'll start pulling out the good cam for the thread

Picked up my spare wrx harness last night. Gauges and groupN engine/trans mounts came in monday;

Should start ordering the bulk of the other parts here shortly. Going to check over the wrx harness and start pulling the rs dash/harness tonight. I've given myself 1 week to decide if I'll attempt the swap myself. After pulling the harness I should have my mind fully made up.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:52 PM   #44
Hobo Joe
Free Supers!!!

Fav Mod: Supers Single Port Header
Trader Rating: (18)

Good luck with your swap man!!!!
Old 01-22-2015, 06:11 AM   #45
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Thanks Joe!! You'll have to drop by next time you're traveling through

Had a good friend come by last night and lend a hand with prepping to pull the harness. Only had a couple hours to work, but we manage to get the dash and dash beam out. I'll work on pulling the heater core and the harness tonight. Hoping the pair off to Iwire tomorrow, but we'll see. I'm taking my time and making as many notes on wiring routing, relay locations, etc.. as I can.

It's pretty cool seeing photos of empty engine bays/missing dashes in other people's builds, then getting that first hand taster of it. It's a lot less stressful than I had assumed. Especially with the knowledge and writeups our fellow community members have put together!! Going to pull the harness and do a bit more research on removing/installing suspension components then I'll feel confident on making my final decision to swap it myself or not.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:02 PM   #46
Scubby snack
1.8L

Trader Rating: (0)

Cars looking great, good luck!
Scubby snack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:45 AM   #47
Flat4awd
3.3L

Fav Mod: Owl's Auto JDM

Looks good. I think the wiring will slow you down the most, but you're already sending it to iWire which is a good choice.
Flat4awd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:51 AM   #48
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Heater core out, hoping to get some more time monday/tuesday. Should have the harness out next time I get down to the garage. Plan is to ship out the harnesses then start giving the engine bay and interior the first round of their deep clean. After that I'm going to spend some time inspecting the small rust starting to show on the driver's rear quarter.

Money has been moved around so I'm putting my list together, grabbing what I can used and will be ordering the bulk of my list shortly.

Interior's current state

This unit wasn't fun to pull

Laid the wrx harness out for a quick photo
Old 01-24-2015, 02:55 PM   #49
SubieShane
2.0L

Car: 2000 SRP Subaru Impreza 2.5 rs
Fav Mod: Heavy foot
Trader Rating: (1)

How much did your donor cost you if you don't mind me askin? I'm trying to get an idea of how much I'm gonna spend when I do mine
SubieShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:29 PM   #50
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Got the rs harness pulled!

Couldn't wait to toss the grill on..

Some cleaning to do;

Took the donor for another couple test drives. I think the smoke coming off the turbo area was from some critters home getting heated up. Saw some chipmunks nuts/nest under the intake mani. I could see a small bit of smoke after the first drive, but the smoke doesn't smell like oil or have any blueish tint. No smoke at all after fully warmed up and riding around the second time. I'll be getting a spare ecu and fuel controller so I can keep the donor operable for testing before I start stripping her down.

And a few more parts came in; v5/6 grill, l&e steering linkage, accessport

Last edited by steezin_and_wheezin; 02-01-2015 at 11:55 AM..
steezin_and_wheezin is offline   Reply With Quote