Nicole _ Another swap story - Page 4 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Nicole _ Another swap story

Old 09-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #31
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Fav Mod: ej205
Trader Rating: (8)

Hell yeah Hobo, good to see you're still around! Just taking it a day at a time here. Still making turns in WV every weekend during the winters and freebording a bit during the summer. I bought a house in Radford and have been getting back to my river rat roots. Although the weather hasn't been very cooperative this summer. My latest addictions are motos and old school mopeds. Have gone through too many projects and can't seem to stop buying them haha. What about yourself?
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #32
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Got the RS out of the shop, and it brings back too many memories of basically living in this thing years again.

My passenger side rear hub ended up being swiss cheese! Brake mounting holes were twisted metal so I chose to replace the whole passenger rear hub with a good used one from a fellow 25er. The used hub came with a good wheel bearing, nice rust free dust shield, and a good condition long bolt so that saved me some extra cash as well as time. Trailing arm condition wasn't any better than the hub.. Crusty and rusty with a pretty spent bushings. So I found a nice set of used arms with upgraded bushing, again from a fellow member. Got all the parts swapped on and she's rolling nicely! Still lots left to do since it sat for well over a year, but its road worthy again for now. My driver side rear hub(as well as the front hubs) are in just as shotty shape as the passenger rear was. So as time goes on I'll slowly accumulate more parts to replace the current rusty bits.

Also got a chance to swap the nearly 2 year old oil out, and replace with fresh royal purple and filter. After getting under it for the first time in a while, I was surprised it wasn't rustier. Frame and most all components are in good shape, but all my hubs have seen better days. 4 years of driving the snowy roads to WV hasn't help any. I normally hose the undercarriage down after every winter, but I may need to find a heated wash to do a spray or 2 during the winter months.

A few photos;

It was like Christmas opening the old bin of parts I had stashed in my parents garage haha..

Front brake change is next on the list
Old 10-14-2013, 07:37 AM   #33
Hobo Joe
Free Supers!!!

Fav Mod: Supers Single Port Header
Trader Rating: (18)

I've been good man. The OBS is down and out for a while. It has some major rust that needs removal so it's off the road till I can cut it all out and fix it. A swap is in the works as well.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:13 AM   #34
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Good to hear you're doing well Joe, best of luck on the OBS!

Sitting for just short of 2 years hasn't been easy on the old girl.. Finally got some more time invested in the RS. Had been fighting a deflating passenger rear tire. I thought it was due to the weathering on the side walls from sitting flat for a while. After pulling it off and dropping at my shop, turns out they found a screw in the tread.. Plugged that and drove around on it for a bit while making sure the engine was sound.

Engine has been wanting to get warm just cruising around town(only got up to ~215*F before I would kick the heat on and bring temps back to norm), so figured its time for fresh coolant. After a quick coolant, t-stat, oil, and filter swap she's running well. Sounds good, no more temps over 204*F(scangauge) and the engine's feeling healthy.

With the engine spinning nicely I got a new set of Michelin Defenders put on. Similar to my last set of Michelins that did great in dry/wet. Didn't get too chawed up on spirited mountain runs, and did decent enough in the snow for WV treks. Hoping this set will be just as good, so far dry conditions are spot on.

With maintenance mostly done, I pulled a couple smaller afternoon style projects out of the bin, kartboy rear endlinks and rear spats. Found this awesome write up on installing the spats on the USDM bumper. Assembled the hardware and read over the installation a couple times while we watched US beat Ghana in the World Cup. Sun was sinking low by the time the game was over, so I left the spats grabbed the endlinks and headed outside. I had been hosing the hardware down with some PB blaster, but the bolts were still a bit of a wrestle. Luckily my stray shop cat came around to keep me company. Got the endlinks installed and they feel good, not much noticeable difference, but feels solid and predictable. Here's a crappy cell photo from this morning(minty endlink, crusty everything else);

10 day forecast is calling for nothing but rain, hoping it holds off so I can install the spats sometime this week.

It's been too long since I've just gone for a drive, got a nice long haul in last weekend. Drove all around my old country roads, probably spent 3 hours shifting around. Here's a shot from the overlook at Draper's Mountain;

Old 07-01-2014, 06:20 AM   #35
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

New corner lights;

And finally;

I'll get some installed photos after a good clean up. Clearance is minimal Clarence. No fender rubs yet, but that 225 tire is tight at the bottom perch of my KYB's. Can't hear any rubbing from them, but I'll be getting in there for a closer inspection soon.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:56 PM   #36
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

BBS wheels went on well. No rubbing on the struts, but rear fender rub on heavy turns or when loaded down. Aiming to roll the fenders and fix the rust starting to show in the quarters before winter.

Got the jdm tails installed that I've had sitting on the shelf for years. Next to install are the rear spats.

Finally pulled the trigger and got some boost back in my life;

I've been saving up for a swap a while now. Haven't found any good salvaged candidates close. Then this '02 wrx popped up on the local craigslist. Got a hell of a deal on it with 148k miles on the clock. Needs some tlc, rust is getting pretty bad, but mechanically sound. Unfortunately, I have a soft spot for a bugeye so I can't bring myself to chop this up for my swap.. She'll more than likely get cleaned back up until I can find a good salvaged for the swap. The search continues.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:08 AM   #37
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

No major updates- Polished up and sold off the wrx.

My 6 disc wrx changer finally kicked the bucket, so I'm in the market for a double din touch screen style unit. Still hunting a salvaged wrx for my swap as well..

I did get my rear spats installed, the first hand wash and window clean in too long, and some maintenance this past weekend(oil/filter, new power steering belt/fluid)

Before wash;

After;
Old 10-26-2014, 06:28 PM   #38
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Finally my donor WRX was acquired!!

The Beginning;
Finally brought home my WRX donor. 2004, 155,455 miles, 2 owner, family car, completely stock. The previous owner just had the timing belt maintenance done earlier this year. Rear differential gave out a couple months back and it's been sitting since. He had started up and moved around the driveway every week to keep it from sitting stagnant. I had planned to get ECS or another reputable shop to do the complete swap to insure it was done right. Had a change of heart after getting the donor locally and realizing I'd have to haul both cars to 10+ hours for ECS. Also; I'm cheap as Costanza..

I'm going to have the heavy lifting done by a local subie guru. Scratch that! Christmas weekend I biffed it harrrd and ended up with a fracture nearly clear through my right fibula as well as a tweaked ankle.. So that almost put a hitch in my swap story. With the injury I was debating on having a local guru do the swap. After reading, researching, and mulling it over while I was mending - I decided I was going to need a serious project to keep my mind occupied while I missed days on the mountain. No better way than to learn about my car! Started talking with Brian(Iwire) and with his suggestion I nixed the dash swap. Just wasn't realistic for me to attempt it solo.

This is more for me to get all my thoughts out loud and sorted. Lots of ramblings throughout..

General Swap Brainstorming;
-Parts from Donor- Everything I can; Engine, trans(w/ r160), Xmembers, LCA's, hubs/brakes, steering rack(with L&E converter), shifter nob/momo wheel, wrx floor mats,
-Clutch - hoping the oe lasts for a bit. Pedal feels good, but we'll see.
-Aiming to retain A/C and cruise
-Refresh most bushings/mounts while I have it out; Engine, trans, shifter, steering, etc
-Iwire merge
-WRX radiator and fans _ leaning back towards RS with gutted cap_flip floppin on this..
-WRX control arms, axles, hubs, and brakes
-Retain cruise controls, a/c(rs pump), and ABS(rs said to work with wrx sensors?)
-Security System(no system, until road worthy. Then remote start/security setup)

Still deciding/researching;
-RS vs WRX pedal box _ [URL="https://www.rs25.com/forums/f189/t194541-02-wrx-pedal-assembly-brighton.html"]wrx?[/URL] Went with wrx pedals on RS brackets

Maintenance and misc while she's on blocks;
-Major clean(inside->out top->bottom)
-Rusted rear quarters to get some attention
-Roll fenders maybe slight pull
-install cusco subframe bar - won't fit with whiteline sway mounts(filler neck tolerances)
-Replace/fix passenger side switch panel(busted mounting)

Additional purchases for this phase;
-Matching door card material_coming up with nathen on this.. looking at photos of other peoples setups. I'm thinking another blue in the cabin and it'll feel too ricey
-inline fuel filter(jegs)
-ss lines; clutch, brakes,
-Rubber replacement(heater core hose, fuel lines(engine bay and filler neck), rad hose?, filler neck valve hoses.
-security/remote start
-axle pins

Broken hardware/hiccups so far;
-Front fender liner clips and liner's lower passenger 10mm bolt
-Side skirt plastic plugs
-2 filler neck cover bolts
-Rear sway mount bolt_FIXED

Purchased;
-Cluster
-GroupN motor and trans mounts
-v6 grill
-L&E gc->gd steering adapter
-flat fuel door setup
-down pipe/cbe. Wrap?
-accessport
-kph->mph converter
-In-fender coolant tank
-Sway bar; front and rear whiteline 24mm
-cheapo srs uel header/up pipe with flex joint
-White line rear sway mounts, kartboy front end links, grimmspeed pulley
-mAd JDM red hazard swith y0
-GTspec gacchiri support
-Energy suspension Front shifter/trailing arms/front control arm bushings
-Perrin inlet and intake
-fluids; eng oil, trans, diff, brake and coolant
-Gaskets; oil pan, full exhaust set
-dw200 pump
-Kartboy rear shifter bushing
-beatrush diff mount bar
-Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit and roll center kit
-superpro trans/steering rack/lat links
-Kartboy pitch Stop and rear subframe lockdown bolts
-STI Blue carpet
-Replacement center vent
-Ngk plugs
-Whiteline outrigger bushings
-Stereo; Kenwood double din headunit, boyo reverse key hole cam, infinity component 6.5" fronts, infinity 6.5" rears
-filler neck
-replacement axle
-new rear pads and rotors

Planned purchases once swap is up and running;
-clutch and lightweight flywheel_maybe..
-chassis bracing
-cusco rear strut bar
-rad and intercooler hoses
-AOS
-cobb headshield / turbo blanket and wrap
-tint
-BBS powder?
-killerB pickup and baffle
-alu gd lca's
-camber bolts? --I'd like to avoid them if possible - slot struts?
-

I have lots to learn and plenty of busted knuckles in my future. I am excited to take the next step with my new goal. Help, suggestions, first hand experiences and criticism are always welcome!

Last edited by steezin_and_wheezin; 08-31-2016 at 08:57 AM..
steezin_and_wheezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:51 PM   #39
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Ordered my replacement rear r160 and picked up a set of 215/45/17 Michelin Primacy HP's locally for cheap.

Tires clear the fenders with zero rubbing, but I'm not too keen on how stretched they look on the bbs wheels. I'll definitely be rolling and maybe a slight pull on the fenders when on the stands. 225's will be purchased once its streetable again after the swap. For now these will do for the daily commute.

Still can't make up my mind if I want to get the bbs' coated gold.. silver is a nice change, but she's missing something.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:30 PM   #40
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Picked up my engine hoist and stand today! Hoping to pull the rs off the road here shortly to start digging in.

And probably the last time she'll get properly framed up until after the swap;