Nicole _ Another swap story - Page 18 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Nicole _ Another swap story

Old 06-27-2016, 06:54 AM   #171
Hobo Joe
Free Supers!!!

Fav Mod: Supers Single Port Header
Trader Rating: (18)

It's so close!!!!
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2016, 06:11 AM   #172
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Fav Mod: ej205
Trader Rating: (8)

Closer!!

Been working on getting a few moto's sold, so missed Monday. Got back in the garage for a quick hour or so yesterday. Double checked all my fluids again. Started her up and slotted in gear, clutch out and hooray! No pops, locks, grinds or binds!!! Slapped the wheels on and dropped her back down off the stands. Torqued my top strut bolts and roll her back/forth to test brakes. Brakes/pedal feels great and e-brake is nice and solid.

When I dropped it down I got some water dribbling out of my midpipe where it needs welded back up. Completely clear and no sweet smell at all, nearly certain it just condensation/catalytic converter juicin's. Probably where the exhaust never got up to normal temps and collected quite a bit from sitting at idle warming/testing the engine.

So with everything looking good I backed her out into what sunlight was left. First thing I noticed is the power steering is feeling a little notchy. I'll look at maybe flushing the fluid again, cleaning pulley, and/or tightening the belt a bit more. Decided I felt comfortable enough to pull it a little further down the driveway. Drove to the bottom of the drive and whatdoyaknow.. My passenger e-brake deeeefinitely dragging due to the incorrect cable routing. Turned around and pulled back to the garage. Got my first taste of a little throttle climbing up the hill. Sounds amazing!! Didn't gag it, but gassed enough to spin the turbo up a little and catch the bpv in action. I can't wait to get out and stretch her legs a little more!! Was so excited to have it out and in a bit of a rush to go hang out with this chica - Forgot to snap a damn photo..

ToDo for next time;
-Reroute pass e-brake cable
-Put clip on drivers side e-brake cable
-Assess PS
-Take photo outside of garage
-Make it out on the road for the first few miles

Soccer today, so I'm already counting down the hours til Thursday's tool time.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:06 AM   #173
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Only got an hour in the garage last night and ended up leaving a little frustrated.. I decided instead of pulling the cable(from cab or hub side) I was going to pull my trailing arm and just move the ebrake cable around the arm. Worked perfect, cable is routed correctly and the extra tension seems to be gone on the passenger side. Unfortunately the tension in my chest is up, way up..

Things had be going too well(on the car and in life) so I was half expecting something to go sour. Pestimistic, realistic, whatever you want to call it. It can't rain everyday, but just the same you can't have 24/7 sunshine. When nearing completion on anything - hiccups are always tougher to swallow. I had a inkling that one of my passenger side trailing arm bolts that goes to chassis had some thrashed threads. Didn't feel good when I went to do final torque on it. Decided to leave it as is and hoped it wouldn't rear it's head later. Hope in one hand, and.. You know the saying. Fully confirmed last night when I pulled the bolt.. First couple threads were crossed up and really did a number on the chassis' threads. Pretty sure it happened when my friend and I mocked up the rear a while back. Hoping there's enough meat left on the bone to tap it out and not have to helicoil or retap to a bigger size.

My tap/die set stops at 12mm. So I'm going to search through my tools at my house to see if I have the correct size. If not.. silver lining! I get to buy more tools

Camping this weekend, lake party sunday night, then garage for the 4th!
Old 07-01-2016, 12:56 PM   #174
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

Fav Mod: BOOOOOOST!!
Trader Rating: (75)

ugh. i hate when shiit like that happens. frustrates me to no end.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:27 PM   #175
Bansheeboy11
I ❤ BOOBIES

Fav Mod: 300K Club
Trader Rating: (59)

Looks like it was going together smoothly! If you need to mess with that, get a 1 1/4" hole saw and drill a hole in the floor under the rear seat, then you can cut the old nutsert off and put a regular nut on it for the bolt to grab underneath. I had to do this multiple times and thats the best way to fix it if the threads get thrashed.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:39 PM   #176
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Awesome weekend, camped out with family/friends and managed a day in the shop. We get fancy when out sleeping on the ground

Side/personal note. Picked up the moto I plan to ride cross country on next year and bought a road map to start really digging into my route/itinerary.

My rough route, if you're close enough and want a grungy guy coming through to say hello, give me a shout!

Now into the garage. Friday I ordered new trailing arm bolt and some other misc hardware. Lucked out at my local hardware store with the correct(12-1.25) tap. Last one on the shelf!

Got the rear trailing arm tapped and cleaned out. Feels good and looks like there's still meat left. I'll be nervous doing the final torque. I squirted a tear having to look at this view one more 'gain..

Sorted through how to hook up the RS cruise on the WRX setup. Going to keep it in the stock-ish location to keep out of wiring. Just need a T connector and some vac line to hook up. Tried to hack the stock brackets, but just was a bit short. I'll fab up a bracket later.. Frustrating trying to make a piece that's too short fit. Just resting in place, I'll run the cable under intake to reduce slack.

Got tired of the old hacksaw, pulled out the power rig

Gave up on mounting the cruise motor. Tightened down the belts, things had settled and they were a tad loose. Hopefully that will help with my power steering notching. Remembered to finally put on my driver's side e-brake clip. Put my interior back together and moved to the pedals. Clutch felt like it needed adjustment and had looked too low since I installed. After some fiddling the level is just right and there's little to no play. I still may bleed it sometime if I get around to it, feels much better now though. Already need to vacuum the floorboard..

When I put the add a fuse in for the rear cam my change pocket struggled to keep close. A square of velcro and all's well

Finally dropped on my battery tie down

ToDo list is really dwindling!

Parts have been selling lately! So I jumped on my gauges. Went with the AEM 2 in 1 AFR/boost and an oil pressure. Will look much better than 2 blank holes in my bezel. Now to finish up research on running my wbo2 in the rear o2 bung and tuning out the CEL. Still haven't heard back from the Motion Lab Tuning, I'll have to ring them up.

New hardware should be in soon then she'll be ready to back out of the garage again. Since I'm using the stock cruise location, fenders can go back on soon. Then lights and other smalls. Once the hood with new struts bolts down I'll get the intercooler splitter modded and rigged. Added putting the spacers on the front endlinks and may have to put a couple on the rear. Still need to test a/c as well and confirm if the powersteering is back to 100%. Hopefully can knock down a couple tomorrow night after work!
Old 07-05-2016, 09:26 PM   #177
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Finished out mounting the e-brake cable/abs wire on the passenger rear. Hardware will likely be in next week so I tested dropping it down with only 2 bolts on the pass trailing arm. Seemed fine enough so I put it down, added a spacer to the endlink(helped angle, but buy longer bolt). Peeped at the front end links - seem to be pretty square, so held off on the spacers on the front. Moved onto hanging some body panels. Fenders, lights, and grill on. Looking great! Loving the hair wider track width, looks damn good and should clear fenders(and hopefully fender liner).

All lights are fully functional, need to replace the side marker bulbs. They work, but the prongs have been busted loose. Had me fooled that they weren't working, but after a little fiddling they are back and functioning.

Gauges should be in thursday and hopefully installed this weekend. I'll tie up some other loose ends while I wait for the hardware. Then get to click a couple miles over before re-torquing. Tried to call Motion Lab Tuning and got no response. Will try again next week after the holiday's settle down.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:43 PM   #178
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Thought I had finally found a new MOMO knob last night, just got the order cancelled/refunded this morning.. Nothing worse than an online retailer with a shotty inventory system. On a high note - Big thanks to RallyTech for selling me the single drivers side 22b vent! I'm not sure if I'll like it with the MRT scoop, but I've always wanted to see how it comes together. Also ordered a set of fog covers! Going to get the exterior exactly how I've been imagining. Wanted to have it all in hand and mocked up before going through the hassle of painting some other misc bits/spots.

Also had some down time today so I reorganized my OP. I have been blessed with the opportunity to take on this challenge, but the pricetag from my spreadsheet is starting to make me cringe. Need to finished everything so I can sell the spares and start recouping what I can(which should be a fair chunk)
Old 07-07-2016, 08:30 PM   #179
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Managed a few hours after work tonight. Found a bolt at lowes that will work until my oem hardware shows up. Dropped it on and it tightened down well. Dropped my new gauges in to test fit and drool over. Turned out perfectly in my opinion! They have different shaped bezels on them. I like the flush looking one on the failsafe more so I'll pick up a spare to have them matching.

With three bolts back holding the trailing arm bracket I backed her out of the garage again. Power steering is still not smooth.. Pump spins smooth and consistent, but I'm getting shudder through the wheel. Just realized I've been putting regular power steering fluid in there instead of ATF.. Need to keep on myself to triple check everything.. I'll swap that out for fresh ATF and see if that helps anything. Think I'll also loosen and readjust my steering linkage as well. Also the rear passenger ebrake is still dragging. I'll pull that back open and inspect. Hoping I didn't damage the cable when I had it routed incorrectly. At worst I'll swap the cable for one of the spares I have. Drove it out of the driveway and down the road a bit though!! Sounds great, will sound much better once I get the midpipe welded up. Feels good to have her out soaking in some Vitamin D;

Hood on and you can barely tell the heart and soul that's been poured into her

Weekend planned to get back at it!
Old 07-07-2016, 10:16 PM   #180
FryphaX
Premium Member

Fav Mod: Registration!
Trader Rating: (4)

I wonder what you have for garage lighting. The pictures look great.