Nicole _ Another swap story - Page 14 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Nicole _ Another swap story

Old 05-04-2016, 07:23 AM   #131
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Fav Mod: ej205
Trader Rating: (8)

I'll definitely update once I get the piece in. I'm really curious on the angle of the pods and how much they cover the cluster. A little nervous about it even haha. The space is just too tight to put them there and not lose site of something. I'm not too worried on the speedo side, highly doubt I'll be pushing around that end of the dial anyway. Gas gauge on the other hand.. would like to be able to at least peep around the side and see if she's thirsty. A quick n dirty chop I did earlier(scale is a bit off I feel, but gets the idea across for me);

Decided since things are still apart I'm going to get fresh groupN top hats. Might also get the diff bar since my the one from my donor wrx had rotten bushings and some serious rusting. Takes 2 people to build a car, 1 person to buy/build and the other to tell me to stop buying new parts and get across the damn finish line. Good thing I'm currently single! More new parts? Sure why not..
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2016, 12:25 PM   #132
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Got an e-mail on the pod bezel. It's in painting phase and should be polished out and shipping here soon!

Figured I'd knock the chores out and get ahead of the rain Friday. Lawn done so I got some time to finish cleaning and rebuilding the last carb for my RG250 and spent a few hours getting ped parts room a bit more organized.

Found this while sorting through an old cabinet I haven't opened in ages

Did manage yesterday in the garage and knocked a few things off the list. Started off by looking at the pitch stop again. After doing a bit more research last week I realized I had actually bent the flange down 90*. Pretty miffed I didn't realize it before. Quick prying and straightened it out enough to install the pitch stop.

Last week I got my local shop to finish centering up my outrigger bushings. Also watched em press and saw they used a bearing splitter for a press. Exact tool I needed so I'll definitely be adding it to the wish list

So with all bushings swapped and ready I finally start to assemble the rear end. Outrigger mounted

Diff/axles hoisted up. My groupN rear diff mount should be in soon then I'll drop on it as well as my breatrush bar

Going to wait to mount the hubs until I get my fresh hardware, but glad to see some parts going back on her!

My brother came by to lend a hand so I figured we'd tackle my new groupN front top hats that came in, rears will be in with the diff mount soon

Took a break to charge the time lapse cams, eat some dinner and pick up a spring compressor

No strap wrench so I'll wait to get the hub/wheel on the ground to torque to spec

Went ahead and did the initial size up of the front sway bay. Everything fits nicely, we'll see if I need any spacers once I mount up my LCA's. We started to look at the lca, noticed my washers were on backwards. Decided I'd step back for the night and double check everything with fresh eyes another day
Old 05-09-2016, 05:35 AM   #133
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

Fav Mod: BOOOOOOST!!
Trader Rating: (75)

you're gonna love the agx/h&r combo.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:07 AM   #134
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Most definitely Brian! Its the setup that came on the car when I bought it - I've been extremely pleased with the height and ride of them, but I feel they are getting a bit tired. I've put nearly 100k on them with no paper trail to know how old they were when I bought the car. Plan is to do suspension and brakes for Phase 2, Phase 3 engine rebuild and #4 will be paint and body.

UPS mang dropped off some goodies while I was working from home and chopping down my dying Bradford pear tree that split last summer. Good riddance, that thing was awful. Once the stumps ground down I'll replace it with a flowering Dogwood or similar

GroupN rear top hats and diff bar from rallispec. As always a painless transaction with Rallispec, great dudes. Was worried the STI logo on the diff bar was stenciled on, but luckily it was just a sticker. For some reason I'm against any sti badging on the car..

Ya get all that?
Old 05-11-2016, 07:15 AM   #135
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

Fav Mod: BOOOOOOST!!
Trader Rating: (75)

dogwood are great, but they smell like poop. actual poop. i vote cherry blossom tree.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:05 AM   #136
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Good suggestion! Dogwood was first choice as its the state tree(and flower), but a cherry blossom would be much more bearable.

Great weekend in the garage, feeling rough after rolling on that concrete though. I'm definitely going to pay a pro to give me a well deserved massage after getting this thing road worthy.

Weekend started off on a bit of a downer though. This unit showed up and I was excited on its craftsmanship until I finished unwrapping and realized they made me a 94-97 bezel... mang manngggg haha. Already have the new one being processed and hopefully won't take as long as this one did. Going to look great, quality is definitely up to snuff. Now to just get the model correct

First thing on the list was getting the rear diff mounts mocked up. Old vs new groupN diff bar

and beatrush bar installed(no photo)

Had some help coming for the weekend so friday I pulled the interior back apart and prepped for rear top hat install. Started off with some hiccups, didn't do the best getting the rear seat back bolts in last reinstall. Had some funked threads on the bolt and it nearly succeeded in destroying the mount threads. Quick tap/die and the bolt and mount/nut cleaned right up. Waiting until morning to start the top hats so with the interior stripped and rear deck out I decided I'd swap my rear speakers.

Old vs New;

Spacer/mount just needed a bit of trimming, speaker screw holes redrilled and then the mounting screws trimmed to fit back in flush. Luckily the tweeter still fit nicely behind the stock speaker cover

Installed

Saturday morning we dove into the rear top hats and some more dirt cheap weight reduction!
Passenger Side

Drivers Side

With everything in and torqued I slapped the rear half of the interior back together

Ball joints were next up to bat, and were surprisingly easier than I anticipated. Used the old "hold your breath, jam a screwdriver in there and hope for no cracks." Worked like a charm

Knowing I had new ones to go in I may have pickle forked this one a bit much when separating the lca

Old vs New

New New

LCA installed. About had to abort on the drivers side.. It was the arm I attempted bushing removal with my press. When I did I bent lca rear bushing location a bit. After a few persuasive blows it was back close enough to install. Hopefully it won't rear its head again when I go to align the front.

Break time, chip clip shop style

Got the front axles mounted and while crawling under the rig for a photo of the complete work - I unknowingly ended up in selfie mode..

The actual photo I was after

Driveshaft in and wrx exhaust heat shields mocked up. I'm going to need longer bolts for the wrx driveshaft support bracket, guess I left mine in the donor shell and the existing rs bolts are too short.

Sorted some parts and called it quits for the night. Decided I need to do a bit more research to find these dudes proper place

1. Ground cable bracket(i think). Had one on my harness already so I'm thinking this one is from the donor.
2. WRX downpipe J hanger
3. Still working on this one
4. RS exhaust J hanger.

Sunday started off by installing the brackets I figured out. Got the wrx downpipe j hanger installed and realized the other loose bolt on the side of my trans was for the stock downpipe's second mounting point. Then took a run to oriely's to return my spring compressor and order my ebrake setups

Feeling lazy sunday so I laid around and studied the undercarriage for a while. Decided I'm close enough to mock up the hubs and test fit everything I could. Went together pretty well, need to order some misc hardware and I'll be ready for final torque.

Rear end looking deeecent!

Front hubs went easily enough as well. Swapped the wrx abs sensors on, using the rs bracket so it all looks nice n tight

ToDo list got scratched on this weekend!!

Nearly ready to put her feet back on the ground soon! Exhaust ready to mock up and confirm fitment and o2 hole location.

Last edited by steezin_and_wheezin; 05-16-2016 at 10:04 AM..
steezin_and_wheezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:16 AM   #137
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Also this unit is coming together! Bought my brothers old yakima towers/bars since he was upgrading to a new setup for his forester. Went ahead and jumped on the Q stretch kit to help level the load.

Hoping to get back in the garage before the weekend, thinking it would be a helluva fine b-day present to hear her try and start for the first time since transplanting
Old 05-23-2016, 09:23 AM   #138
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Another weekend down, going to try and get out there after work this week. Don't want to rush it now, but would make a fine bday present if I got to attempt the engine's first start since transplanting.

Friday I started in on the engine/components. Began working on the driver's side and made a little headway. Wiring was sorted a bit better, alternator and A/C have been bolted down and compressor lines massaged to fit.

Saturday I started off by installing the filler neck lines I picked up. Still need nuts for the roll over valve and hardare for the plastic cover

Then moved in on the engine bay again, Swapped over my fuel lines and jegs inline filter

Modified the wrx boost control solenoid bracket to fit the rs bay. Just need to get some of those nifty threaded rivets so I can bolt the middle mount down and get it nice and solid. Also gave me the spot for some plugs to be clipped.

Finished routing my heater core lines and compressor lines

Before bolting the power steering pump down I needed to knock the inlet off the ToDo list.. Knew it was going to be a wrestle, but got the old out and new in. My valve cover breather line wasn't cooperating, with or without the 1" snipped off as instructed I wasn't able to route the line successfully. Also the smaller 2 vac lines were old and splitting so I'm going to replace those before finishing the install.

Called it quits for the night.. Missed tool time sunday for a friends bday. Here I sit on my Monday lunch hour and I'm dying to get back at it!

Old 05-23-2016, 09:43 AM   #139
FryphaX
Premium Member

Fav Mod: Registration!
Trader Rating: (4)

Not sure if they use salt or if rust is an issue where you are but everyone I know pulls the plastic 'guard' off of the fuel filler neck as soon as we get a Subaru. All they do is collect dirt, moisture and salt that eventually causes the filler to rust.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:43 AM   #140
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Good look out! Yup, just under the salt belt so we see a decent amount of salt. I've been on the fence about it. With as much road time as I plan on showing her, I just fear debri getting whipped up and damaging something. I travel some rougher spots to and from Snowshoe during the winters. I have added to my maintenance schedule to pull/clean the cover and filler neck. We'll see if I end up reusing it or not

Finally spurred myself to get out there after work last night. Finished the inlet install, a couple other vac lines were falling apart on me as I was persuading everything into place so swapped them out with some extra new lines I picked up. I'm going to get an AOS setup asap and plan to replace all the lines with a quality set once she has a clean bill of health. So this is more or less a band-aid until then

After the inlet was finished I massaged the power steering pump into place, drilled out and mounted my reservoir. Then mocked up my coolant expansion tank and intake. Looking great and everything is starting to fit up!!

More todo list scratching!!(Need to reprint a fresh/updated list from my spreadsheet soon)

Can't wait to get back at it tonight!!