Nicole _ Another swap story - Page 10 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Nicole _ Another swap story

Old 10-19-2015, 02:17 PM   #91
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Fav Mod: ej205
Trader Rating: (8)

Still not a whole not knocked off the list..

Rant - I'll keep this short and sweet - Called the shop to check in.. Guy I dropped them off with told they had another kid in the shop swap them. He screwed up and thrashed one of the bushings. Instead of notifying me, ole Joe said "I thought you would've come down to pick em up" So I went it turns out they only pushed 1 of the trailing arm bushings out and tore the ear/flange off the replacement bushing. Looks like he had it off center and the big hydraulic press tore the pinched corner off. So I'm back to square 1 with the remaining bushings. Was a little salty, but them remembered I had a set of wrx trailing arms with damn superpro bushins already pressed in from when I replace a wheel bearing a couple years back. Found the spare in my shop at home and will pull the other off the RS' rear. This made me happy

Got a little time in the garage before our yearly "hold on tight to summer" party. Managed to get the engine plugs run through the fender. Cooper got the headunit wired up and ready for install. Once I finish up the pedal box I should be good to close up the dash! Hopefully the next photo from this angle will have more assembled;

Just ordered my replacement filler neck and should be buttoning up the rear end once it's in and I swap the last few bushings.
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2015, 01:14 PM   #92
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

First time in a while I've had a package waiting for me!

Filler neck is in and I'm heading out to the garage after work today for a couple hours. Plan is to try and sort the pedal box situ and move closer to getting the dash back in. With the fuel neck in and remembering I have a set of trailing arms with good bushings in - I should be assembling and nearly buttoning up the rear end this weekend! Doubt my new rear lat link bolts make it in time, but I'll use the olds as a place holder.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:52 PM   #93
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Knock one thing off the list and add 3 more.. Making some headway though!!

Last week I botched my research for the first time this build. Like a noob put the wrong this on the wrong that.

Got that fixed up. Went with putting the wrx pedals and all components I could onto the rs pedal box brackets.

Note to self - research wrx's dead pedal install..

Harness is nearly fully installed and I'm stoked about it. Dash should be closing in soon.

My keyhole trunk cam turned out to be bigger than my stock hole. They had the nerve to supply a straight wood hole saw bit! Want to keep my goal of a reverse cam, but not feeling permanent changes. Already have the wiring run so I'm going to try and find one in the right diameter before giving up hope.

Good trailing arms with poly bushings from the parts pile, not too shabby;

Thrashed bushing from the shop's failed install;

Fuel filler neck swap;

Starting to put the rear back together. Turns out my cusco rear bar wouldn't fit the best with my whiteline RSB mounts. I would have to hack quite a bit of material off the mount's corner to clear the filler neck. It's already close enough I'll go back and file it down for some peace of mind as it is

Realized I have a good drivers rear hub from my RS drivetrain out back, glad I was dragging my feet on buying another hub.. Lateral link bolts as well as the roll over vavle(?) for the filler neck made it in.

Sh!t gets messy around here after a weekend of thrashing..

Looking forward to getting back in the garage tomorrow!
Old 10-28-2015, 08:08 AM   #94
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

EDIT - Snoitched a photo before work began the next day;

All wiring/bolts are plugged/torqued under the dash, and got the top half of the dash in last night! Damn phone didn't save the photo I nabbed.. Things are looking good though, and it's giving me some momentum moving forward. Going to quadruple check everything of course, but I'm feeling good on the dash. Started looking at my kenwood's components - ran my mic up the pillar, gps locator unit through fire wall and prepped to attach to the underside of my hood, also ran my reverse cam wires. Once the bottom of the dash is in I'll mount my gps/bluetooth control boxes somewhere

Turns out my reverse cam is one of the smallest they produce.. I'm leaning towards making the permanent change and opening the hole to fit the cam. After all it's just a truck lid if I ever need to go back stock with lock.

ADD To Buy list; Kenwood mounting bracket and trim surround. Extended video cable for reverse cam. C-clip for clutch pedal bump stopper.

Weather and the field are a bit too nasty for soccer tonight so I may end up back out at the garage after work. Definitely getting back there tomorrow, but missing this weekend for halloween shenanigans. Thinking of peeling off a half day Friday and getting something done before heading out of town

Last edited by steezin_and_wheezin; 10-30-2015 at 07:54 AM..
steezin_and_wheezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:29 AM   #95
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

Fav Mod: BOOOOOOST!!
Trader Rating: (75)

progress is progress.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:14 AM   #96
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

And progress is very good! Enjoying every minute on/in/under this beast. Last night I was laying under the dash tucking, tightening, and routing wires as neatly as I could. I'm glad I decided to do this on my own as I would have paid someone to half ass it and been miffed with the tidiness of the results. Now, only 1 person I can complain to..

Some more light cleaning before these get reinstalled;

Going to run my stock cluster until I sort through the logistics of getting my JDM set's odometer reprogrammed.

Got the top half of the dash closer last night. Speedo/surround, nav pack, hvac controls hooked up, headunit hooked up(ADD to To Buy; uni mount/bracket), gps/bluetooth modules mounted, pass. airbag back in and she's lookin good!!

Getting prepped for another day in the garage tonight.

First time I've taken on a filming project in a minute. It's a pain in the ass to keep up especially having my comp at the house away from the garage. Forgetting damn near everything every time(charging batt, dumping photos from previous day, remembering the sd disks, forgetting my cam pack, etc etc..). With that said it will be a great vid to look back on!
Old 11-08-2015, 09:30 PM   #97
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Couldn't resist a couple small projects to help build some momentum. Quick tire change and general tlc on this saturday morning;

Then cleaned up this little duder sunday morning;

Managed a couple hours in the garage over the weekend as well. A few things knocked off the list.

Parts stash from my basement is making the pilgrimage to the garage to finally be reassembled!

A friend lent me this beast, was hoping it was going to be perfect to swap the bushings on the rear hubs. Unfortunately it was still a bit too fat to fit between the backing plate.

Thinking of making a little bolt and washer style blind puller for the hub bushings. Also after looking closer at the outrigger bushings - I don't think a press will work. It has a metal sleeved bushing, but also has a lip on the sleeve which adds another layer to the onion. Strategy and a little brute force and I'll get it free.

You know you're making some headway when you pull the torque wrench to start setting things to spec

Torqued the rear end down, only to realize I'll need to loosen the rear subframe to get the lockdown bolts lined up perfect.. Also will need to clean/chase the threads for the lockdowns, tons of crud in there.

Got the shifter and linkage with new bushings all installed. One of those jobs it would be soo much easier with another set of hands around.

Tossed on the whiteline tie rod ends;

And got the front crossmember with l&e steering adapter installed;

Peeped the RS hub I had planned to use and it was showing some serious rot so I'm back on the hunt for a good drivers rear hub, also need to find a front axle. My headunit brackets will be in next week. Will probably place another misc order here shortly(video wire, tubing for filler neck valve, tire wire for shift boot, c-clip for clutch bumper, and more[write down from ToDo list])
Old 11-09-2015, 10:26 AM   #98
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

Fav Mod: BOOOOOOST!!
Trader Rating: (75)

i would recommend taking the sifter back out and putting in on the trans, and installing it as one. i've done it both ways, and i'll never do it like you'r about to again. was a PITA to get all the bolts and other stuff lined up and in there in such a small space. ESPECIALLY the double roll pin on the link.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:43 AM   #99
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Really 'preciate the info! I tossed the idea back and forth. With as much trouble getting the shifter assembled solo I should've known I was going at it wrong.. Makes sense when you think about rigging up the bits with the trans in the way. Thanks again mang!

A friend was in the garage over the weekend and asked how many times before I've done this and how I learned? Was easy to come up with that answer - None and I'm still learning haha. That's what makes it so hard to have my none mechanically inclidned friends come out to help. The first question they ask is, "What do I do and how do I do it?" Answer is always the same, "Find something you feel comfortable with and learn how to do it, I'll be over here learning how to do this." I've forgotten more than I've remembered, but it's been a real pleasure so far. A lot of work, but not even close to a daunting task! On contrary, it's a great challenge in life to learn from and expand my knowledge.

Always open to critiques, keep em coming!!
Old 11-11-2015, 02:01 PM   #100
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Had dinner at the parents place last night, got a little more family time than tool time, but won't ever complain about that!

Did manage a minute to lay out the STI carpet to test it's fit. Fits really well, definitely need to move the seatbelt mounting hole, but other than that nearly spot on! Headunit brackets should be here tomorrow, reverse cam video wire hopefully before the weekend hits. With both of those I should be good to button up more of the dash and interior trim!

Noticed last night that the headliner's going to need a good cleaning. Forgot to take my gloves off when running my mic and ended up with some serious smudging..