Vicky: clsmooth's '00 BRP RS Coupe - Page 3 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Vicky: clsmooth's '00 BRP RS Coupe

Old 08-19-2007, 12:32 AM   #21
clsmooth
3.3L

Fav Mod: Fixing 1st owner mistakes
Trader Rating: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skully
you neeeed to clock that compressor housing so you get rid of that kink in your 90 degree elbow going to your intercooler. That is REALLY bad on air flow.

-Thomas
Oh, probably. I bought the car like that. Next on the list for the car is redoing the up and down pipe for the turbo underneath the car, get it running on that, and then redo the intake and charge piping on the top side. All in due time
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2007, 01:03 AM   #22
speed_freak27
2.7L

Car: 2001 Silver RS-T
Trader Rating: (3)

I wish my car was that far along.
speed_freak27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:53 AM   #23
clsmooth
3.3L

To get the car through the new AirCare test of 98+ vehicles, I had to convert back to the stock injectors and ECU. With the car not boosting right now, now's the perfect time.

(AirCare is my local emissions testing. All car's used to have to do a driving test on a dyno. Now, 98+ car's go through a scan using the OBD2 port under the dash. No codes, you pass, and are good for the next 2 years. The Link+ system appears to be OBD1 based and my scan tool could not connect. This will appear to be my bi-annual ritual.)

So I woke today and started workin on my car...

Did the injectors first cause they take more time. Manage to swap the originals back in, but not without dropping one between the engine and cross member and fishing it back out. With the exception of piping, the car was brought back to stock. In theory it should run, and sure enough it started right away and idled great!

Decided to get 2 days of insurance put on it and went down to Superstore down the hill from my house. Came back, stuck up the papers and pulled the car outta the garage for the first time in 8 months. Decided to take it easy at first to make sure everything was working. Putted down the alley, down the hill, all the way to Superstore. Couldn't go even if I wanted to cause of traffic. Get to the bottom of Rupert to turn right on Granville, give it gas and it just bogs and nearly stalls. I'm like, WTH?

Pull into the Superstore parking lot and try and rev the engine and it won't go past 2 000 rpm. Call a friend who says it sounds like it's really rich, and I might not have my FPR adjusted properly. I didn't have anything on me to adjust it, so... back up the hill I tried to go. Shook my way up Rupert at a speed slower then walking and the zig-zagged my way back up to my house. No engine light to whole time, just shook and moaned as if it were possesed.

Got it in the garage and started playing with the FPR. Any extreme didn't make a difference. Call back my friend who suggests to check a few things while he makes his way over.

Check one plug, black as midnight. Check all plugs, all black. My brother suggested to check the MAP. Found a few vague posts that suggested unplugging the first O2. Only thing I got from doing all that was an engine light. Thought the injectors might be sticky, but bros said I wouldn't be idling smoothly.

Friend comes by and I show him what the car does while he happens to be walking around it. He noticed there's next to no exhaust coming out the muffler; my cats might be clogged. (Yes, plural, previous owner couldn't pass AirCare, so installed 2 in-line cats.) Good thing he walked around though cause it's not something I would've been able to diagnose by myself.

Held a temp probe and by touch notice the front cat was quite hotter. The first cat was connected to the downpipe using a U-clamp. The 1st and 2nd cat were connected using another U-clamp, and the 2nd cat was bolted normally to the cat-back using spring bolts.

We agree to take out both cats as one. Ended up braking the front U-clamp off and the disconnected the back cat. Looked back up into the 2nd cat and the honeycomb looked fine. Couldn't get the 1st cat off the downpipe due to the crimp left by the U-clamp. Using a drill and a grinding disk, made a slit on one side of the pipe to relieve pressure off the crimp. After some pounding on the flange, both cats came out. Fired it up quickly with them out and it revved up to 5 000. I think we found the problem...

Looked down into the first cat to reveal hand-sized chunks of honey comb all over in the cat! Turned it down and these rocks of honey comb rolled out. Some of the element of the first cat melted to the element of the 2nd, so... both cats got hollowed out using a foot long masonary drill bit!

Put everything back together and fired up the car, and for the first time, sounded like a Subaru with an exhaust, ready to rally! Friend said I owed him a Big Mac so we went for a drive.

Wondered if the wastegate was burnt out as much as the cat, so under controlled conditions, gave it some gas to see if it'd boost and it snapped up to 3 psi before I could react and let go. Wastegate doesn't appear burnt but will be replaced as it's rusted to hell. But thankfully my worst fear in this whole project wasn't the case... THE TURBO'S NOT BLOWN! THE TURBO'S NOT BLOWN!!!!!!! hahaha

Going to have it put up on a hoist at my bros. work to fill a few pin holes found in the exhaust before attempting AirCare.

Last edited by clsmooth; 09-07-2007 at 02:58 AM..
clsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:09 AM   #24
clsmooth
3.3L

So Friday morning I wake up to head over to my bros shop in Abby the patch up the cats I couldn't get to fit back quite right. The slit I made left a 4 or 5 mm by 2 or 3 mm rectangular hole. I still can't go through AirCare with leaks and a drive out to Abby would certainly test that everything's working and build up enough data for AirCare.

It was the first "long" trip for the car in 8 months, so I took the Fraser Hwy on the way there, just in case. Ran great, though could smell some exhaust when at a red light. My throat was a lil dry by the time I got there. Put it up on the hoist and my bros was kinda enough to weld up the hole and double checked the whole exhaust for any leaks.

I asked if I'm ready for AirCare, but he wasn't sure (every car's different with its data collection), so he connected to his scan tool and all systems looked good. He said to go ahead and try AirCare cause I'm reading everything's fine.

I get to the AirCare in Abby (cause it's the only where I know where it is hehe) I got in and I'm asked to keep driving just past the dyno rollers. They unrolled a long cable with an OBD connector on it and I didn't have to hide in the booth cause they weren't driving it.

The turn on your ignition to see that your engine light comes on and works. They then turn it back off, connect, and actually start the car and have it idle while they're checking for codes. And probably to also make sure your engine light goes out when the car's running. No gas cap pressure test, but they still stick the mirror underneath to see you have a cat and any leaks.

I look up at the monitor to see 'Linking to vehicle', look away at another car, look back, and the test is done and I passed! Passed AirCare without a cat! LOL (and a fooled secondary O2).

Oh ya... here's what's left of the insides of both my cats...

Last edited by clsmooth; 09-09-2007 at 02:13 AM..
Old 09-09-2007, 06:18 AM   #25
Trancet
3.3L

Trader Rating: (1)

Glad to see your making progress!
Old 09-09-2007, 11:38 PM   #26
clsmooth
3.3L

Last night my friend came over and we reverted back to the STi injectors and Link+ ECU. Ran outta time to get insurance, so today I called in 'sick' and we went for a tunning run, but only after figuring out a good combination of injector seals on the third try.

At first the Link was very finicky and frustrating. After a day of driving around, figuring it out, and charging the laptop back up 3 or 4 times, we have it tuned across the power band, up to 5 psi.

On an interesting side note, a factory, cat-less 2.5 RS cruises at an EGT of 1300*F. We have the Link tuned slightly on the rich side so it'd idle, and now it cruises at 1150 - 1200*F, even under boost. Almost can't get it past 1200* anymore.

It's a bit older, but for the price it's a nice setup for the time being, but we've agreed that when I build up my $1 engine down the road, that I'll get something more refined.

Last edited by clsmooth; 09-10-2007 at 12:09 AM..
Old 09-10-2007, 12:32 AM   #27
speed_freak27
2.7L

Car: 2001 Silver RS-T
Trader Rating: (3)

Glad to hear it's boosted again and that you've got the link figured out. I just broke in my motor and started tuning with the hydra which I have to say is about 1000 times better than the link in some ways now that I got the bugs worked out. My butt dyno says it's probably close to [email protected]
speed_freak27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:39 PM   #28
clsmooth
3.3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_freak27 View Post
Glad to hear it's boosted again and that you've got the link figured out. I just broke in my motor and started tuning with the hydra which I have to say is about 1000 times better than the link in some ways now that I got the bugs worked out. My butt dyno says it's probably close to [email protected]
Ya, the version of the software that came with the link was a bit older. We downloaded the newest version of the software and it looked like it'd kick ass but it wouldn't connect to the version of the firmware on the ECU. We got it figured out and it's still a very good unit for my setup

If I update the firmware on the ECU, could I use version 3.31 of the Link software? What version of firmware is on the ECU now?
Old 09-11-2007, 01:10 PM   #29
RotarFreak
General pain in the ass

Car: 98 Superu Impreza 2.5 rs...
Fav Mod: supacharja
Trader Rating: (22)

How do you find out you current ECU software, and how do you upgrade it?

Also, are you talking about factory --> Factory ECU software reflash?
Old 09-11-2007, 11:01 PM   #30
clsmooth
3.3L

It's running really great! A lil rich at idle but it was the best we could do.

I'm referring to the Link ECU. AFAIK, the stock RS ECU can't be reflashed, but 06+ can using Cobb.