Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com - View Single Post - Equinox's RBP V8 EJ207 STi Swapped RSTi - Twinscroll Braps Inside
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2019, 06:28 PM  
equinox92
They call me Garrett
 
equinox92's Avatar
 
Fav Mod: Park Bench
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Trader Rating: (53)
Posts: 4,055
Default

Oil Cooler AN Fitting Conversion + Phase 1 AC Condenser



Holy hell this should not have been as big of a deal as I made it out to be. Ever want to spend double what you did on the factory kit to make it just that much more custom? Do you like designing things you never thought you'd be designing? Well boy do I have a guide for you. The plus side is that you can at least use your AC after it's all said and done.

So yeah, basically that's what facilitated all of this, me being able to use AC.

A little while ago I popped in the Phase 1 condenser I had to be able to use with my radiator, which I had to use because of my fans, which I had to use because of the wiring, which I had to use because I used to have a V4 STi engine in the car. Got it? No? perfect.

That condenser fit everything perfectly, except for the fact that the oil cooler lines (were installed without a condenser in) were blocking the inlet of the AC completely. The remedy this, an AN line setup was going to be used, and I was going to make sure it was done waaaaay too proper.

Alright, so to start this off I bought a Spec C -> AN adapter from Fuji Racing in the UK. Not a hard piece to make, but I didn't feel like doing it. Really good idea for adapting the OEM lines to AN fittings.




Now, I decided I wanted to use -6 AN lines, and I know that sounds small.. but for fitment it was required, and it's really actually equal to the factory lines anyways. I don't think flow is an issue here so I went with the -6 AN adapters.




Making the lines was pretty simple, but took me a while to do. They were going to go out the same way the factory lines did, tie to the chassis, and then come up to the cooler and attach to the factory rubber lines with barbs. Easy.




Tying these to the chassis was the fun part here. I needed a bracket that would clear them away from the AC lines, and also remove relative motion from the engine to the chassis where the core was mounted. To do this I just drew up a design I thought would work in SolidWorks, and then because I've spent WAAAAAY too much time setting up a solid 3D Printing infrastructure, I was able to print of iterations in 20 minutes using ABS plastic, which should work with the heat in the engine bay.





The first iteration worked pretty dang good. Clearance was perfect, however the grip on the lines wasn't as good as I wanted it to be. So I added a bit more interference into the design to really grip the line. That worked... until it didn't get the clip deflected too much. So I made the grippers meatier.




That did the trick.


Here's all of the few iterations in various forms. Some design errors, some printing errors, all very quickly created. The one on the bottom is the one that was used.








And if it breaks... well.. I can just print out some more!


In the last picture there you can also see that the new AC hardline also fits with the lines in place. The rest did too, and with the GD intercooler the N/A AC line doesn't hit the IC...for now. That's great news!







And finally... all the lines bolted up!









Gave the AC a vacuum, and I had some leaks.. a few O rings swapped later and the car has AC... and less ghetto oil cooler lines!

Woo woooooooo




The only downsides are that some areas may still have some abrasion to them, and I think I want to put some better camps on the barbs to the oil cooler.. they aren't perfect. So far no leaks and my bracket hasn't melted even after REALLY heatsoaking the thing hard in the mid 90s ambient temp today. Time will tell!
__________________
Tuned Detroit - Automotive Blog, check it!
equinox92 is offline   Reply With Quote