Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Pete, Chet24's 2.5RS

17K views 65 replies 16 participants last post by  George.of.the.Jungle 
#1 · (Edited)

Current Mod List: (updated 06/03/15, mileage 203k)

This is all severely outdated. Will update soon. (10/30/2018)

Pete, 01 2.5RS:

Suspension:
KYB AGX Struts
Eibach Pro Lowering Springs
Perrin Subframe Lockdown Kit
06 WRX rear sway bar
STi Carbon Fiber strut tower bar

Wheels:

Advan RG 16x7.5 +45 (13.4 lbs)
BFG Sport Comp 2s 225/50/16
Black RS 6-spokes and General Altimax Arctic tires for winter

Brakes:
Subaru 4-Pot front calipers, Hawk HPS pads, DBA ?5000? 2 piece front rotors
H6 rear, Stoptech Street Performance pads, Centric Blanks

Drivetrain:
eBay UEL headers
Cat delete track pipe
Prodrive oval tipped catback
Kartboy pitch stop mount
Kartboy short shifter and bushings
ACT Streetlight flywheel

Exterior:
Paint matched Bugeye 3 Piece front lip, side skirts, and DIY accord rear spats
JDM STi Grill
JDM Multi-color Fog Lights
Depo clear side turn markers
Depo clear corner lights

Interior:
JDM v6 STi front seats
WMD custom shift knob
JDM OEM WRX Nardi steering wheel
Pioneer Appradio 3
Cool White LEDs in dome/map, gauge cluster, and climate controls.

Amsoil everywhere

Dyno at Ziptie Dynowerks. 120.2 whp/121.9 wtq

Attachments

See less See more
#57 ·
Another update. No, the car is still not done yet. But it’s damn close…

Bought a JDM rear bumper because mine had some damage.

Patched some rust holes and cut the rear quarter panels. Gore warning, I am not a welder. But hey, it’s sealed.

I was literally ready to bond the wide body and there were some things about it that I decided I did not like. I was going to be paying for the paint and body molding so I wanted it to look perfect, and the ebay kit… just didn’t look perfect.

So I’m dumb, pulled some strings through work and ended up with the ABW 60mm Superwide 22b kit.

First impressions were WOW. The fiberglass was much thinner, but it felt just as strong as the ebay kit. The result of higher quality I assume.

Spent some time on the engine bay. I was absolutely SHOCKED at how much of a difference covering the frame rails made on the engine bay look, but it sucked to actually do. Went with a silver metallic paint. It was much more metallic than I originally wanted, I just wanted something that would be low maintenance. But I’m happy with it now.

Started working on the interior with some Zealous Interiors ultrasuede. Door cards, roof liner, rear deck, and my own sewing of the sun visors.

Also remove the rusty sunroof and replaced it with an Aerosim Dry Carbon roof.

Did a battery and fuse box relocation. With fuse box shield. I will probably end up doing a better fender liner, but I wanted to keep this section removable with easy access in case of electrical problems, so this portion will not be covered by the fender liner. The back half will need to wait until after I get wheels on the car and do the final trim of the inside fender quarter panel lip.

Flocked the dash.

And now for the final dump of the wide body install.

I picked up the car from paint, started getting everything ready for the swap. Harness going in, some of the interior, scheduling glass, brake line fitting from the ABS delete and then this happened.

I was within a week of pulling the motor from my donor when I was an idiot and rear ended a truck because of a damn straw. No one was injured luckily, but this definitely put a lot of my plans up in the air. It’s been a week as of today waiting for insurance to determine what to do with the car. It’s obviously totaled, there’s no chance it will see the road again, but I think most of the damage is going to be on the accessories, so I’m hoping to be able to buy the car back and still use the heart as my swap.

To be continued.

#58 ·
Ouch! With that much crunch it's about 99% that your motor is hosed. Front end collisions are the fast track to a little rumpus room action between your pistons and valves.

Gonna hit something head on in a Subaru? Turn the engine off. It'll save your motor.

#59 ·
The engine shut off immediately on impact, so either it is destroyed enough that it seized or the electrical system was disrupted and cut spark. The truck I hit was high enough that it literally just skinned the top of the motor and I'm hopeful that I can make use of most of it.

I also have had plans for a new short block, so I will be putting in a fresh build just because I likely would want to pull it apart to inspect completely anyway. I really just don't want to have to start from nothing again.

But even if the motor is toast, I have enough on the car to part out and probably make money after buying it back, assuming that the buy back price is what I expect it to be. We'll see though. I'm a little upset with my insurance because it's been a whole week and they haven't even looked at the car.

#64 ·
Another update. Not a ton of photo opportunities as it's a ton of buttoning up small things, but the next one should see some real progress as it should be assembly time.

Getting the carpet fitted. It’s a mass backed carpet from Zealous Interiors, so it should cut down a lot of road noise, but it’s a bitch to manipulate, especially in a cold shop.

DIY battery tray for the trunk. My welds are getting better...

Fits like a glove. Sent it out for powdercoating to give it an OE look.

Rear bumper fitting. The body parts feel good, so it's nice to do these things when I'm losing motivation.

Bumper done and test fitting wheels. This is 17x8 +20, and likely what will be used as a winter set. Summer wheels (undecided) will probably be in the 9.5-10” wide range, around the same offset, so an extra inch on the inside and outside.

Front bumper is on. This is a decent gap between the grill and hood, it will probably need some massaging...

Highlighting some carbon.The Aerosim Roof and RPG Carbon mirror covers. The RPG stuff does look fantastic and it's a good fit, but it's pretty thick with fiberglass. One side weighs about as much as the whole roof did, lol.

Cleaning day with all the used stuff. Forester subframe (no spacer though), 05-07 STI steering rack (has been in the forester for a couple years), v7 control arms, Whiteline bushings, ALK, and RCA kit. Most of the engine will be new (new short block, refinished heads, manifold, etc), so luckily I don't need to do a ton of cleaning. But this started out pretty gross. Feels good.

And also have the motor pulled. The heads are already at the machine shop, so as soon as I get the subframe bolted up and the heads back, I should be good to throw the block together and drop it in.

Soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.