Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

My build thread.. Lots of pics that work (Not Photobucket!)

68K views 449 replies 36 participants last post by  Ricco 
#1 · (Edited)
I've had my 2.5 RS a couple of months now and I've decided to start a build thread, hoping it's going to help me get this thing over the finish line.

This RS is my 4th Subaru

My first was a Catalunya special edition, the car I wish I still had, hence the mid-life crisis build :D

2nd was an 09 STI Hatch

3rd is my current DD, a 2016 BRZ

Picked up the RS for $2600 which I don't think was too bad, it's a sedan which I wanted as I prefer it over the coupe and the body is completely rust free. It has been in Houston for 99% of its life and is as solid as they come.

Car did have a few problems from when I picked it up.. It has a ton of dings in the body and has some parking lot fender bender damage to the hood and core support. The sunroof leaked and I also found water in the rear fender wells.

I've done a few things up to now and ordered a bunch of parts. First thing was to replace the sunroof frame as it was rusted out.. I assume the drain tubes were blocked at some point and allowed water to sit in the frame and rust it out.

I also had to have the boxer rumble so ordered some cheap ass DNA headers from Amazon - $100 and there are worth the price.

The problem however was the stock exhaust was too quiet so I still couldn't hear it.

I had a Blitz NUR Spec R on my Catalunya so I wanted one of those again but I was struggling to find one in GC fitment so I ordered a brand new GD one and adapted it to fit the GC

Then they made an adapter to mate directly to the stock NA cat pipe

It looks pretty ghetto but it is welded on the inside so it works fine.
End result

I'm still not entirely happy with it as the GD fitment makes it come straight out the back, perpendicular to the bumper whereas the GC ones come out at an angle which I prefer.. So if anyone has a GC fitment Blitz for sale, let me know.

Attachments

See less See more
#65 · (Edited)
So in other news..

I picked up a new rig.. Gonna have some AC at the Gokart track this weekend :banana:

Picked up some 5th Gen ZL1 wheels for my 6th Gen ZL1..

I really need to stop buying shit and start selling some stuff :biglaugh:

Edit: Since I posted this about my Camaro, could resist but to share the some Carbon Fiber goodness that's going on it soon :drool:

#66 ·
Promised to take some hardware and various parts to the bodyshop so started going through the million boxes in my wife's laundry room.

Went to move an empty box and found it wasn't empty.. Actually it was pretty heavy and I had no idea what it was so I opened it up and found this, forgot I had ordered it which was a nice surprise!

Got all the other stuff loaded up so I can head up there after work tomorrow.

#67 ·
Awesome build, even though it didn't get resprayed BRP!:crazy:
Don't mind me, I'm a BRP fan boy! The build is coming along nicely though, and just now found this thread. People ARE noticing, and I will be subscribing.

Off topic-How did you like that Mustang GT350? I'm not a big domestic fan, but those intrigued me.

#68 ·
Haha.. It took me until my 3rd Subaru (BRZ) to finally pick the right colour :mamoru: WRB FTW :projectsti.com: Thanks for the kind words though, appreciate it.

As for the Mustang, it would rev for days, and what a glorious engine note! Ride and handling was fantastic, it's no longer a Muscle car IMHO, more of a proper super car. Main thing I didn't care for were the armchair seats (although they were ventilated) and the steering was way too light and vague in the center. Unfortunately it was also made by Ford and so most of the body work was dropping off, front and rear bumpers (common on S550's), front splitter etc and I was terrified to mod the engine as so many have gone pop (Ford has replaced a LOT of Voodoos).

Keep the comments coming :)

#86 ·
Did my first ever BRZ track day at the Gokart track my kids usually race at. It was also my first time to ever drive the track myself.. It was interesting having the kids critique my driving for once :blol:

Spent a lot of the day just hooning and learning how to push the car beyond my usual comfortable limit. Turn 6, 7 & 11 made great drift opportunities and I even managed to flick my turn 6 drift into a perfect entry and opposite drift for turn 7 a couple of times.

Spun at the exit of 15 in the first session and took on a little dirt. I guess I found out that there is a tiny dip just past mid corner that unsettled the car when trying to take it flat.

Like I tell the kids, if you don't go off, you aren't pushing hard enough.

Didn't expect my BRZ to be my first car (in the current fleet) that averaged 8mpg. Camaro needs to do better.. Where is my Whipple!!!

#88 ·
Haha no, the Whipple is for the Camaro. I’ve considered supercharging the BRZ but I’ll wait until at least next year when the warranty is up.. or maybe just not do it at all. It is my commuter car and decent gas mileage was one of the reasons for selecting that vehicle, running a supercharger on it will just give me an even heavier right foot.

If I do it, it’ll most likely be Eddlebrock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.