Page 2: Installed Intercooler Shroud / Bumper / AFR / Went to CO
Page 3: Installed Walbro 255
Page 4-6: TURBO INSTALL
Page 7: More Fuel / CF Hood / Recirc BOV
Page 8: Clutch Install / 2.2/2.5 Frankenmotor Install

See less See more
#101 ·
It's time for a new engine again! :mixed:

Since installing the 22 block/25 head engine, my idle was atrocious, but the car drove fine. Then it stopped charging and would lose power as I drove. Turned out to be a bad ground I finally found 3 days ago. Both problems solved! Then it started overheating 2 days ago.
No heat from the vents and the top radiator hose feels like steel when it's running, waaay too much pressure. Sometimes some hoses are cool and others are hot... It's gotta be clogged, right? Knowing me I left a paper towel wadded up in a coolant port somewhere... ugh.
Anyway, after limping it home last night, if the headgaskets weren't blown before, they definitely are now. My car was smoking like no tomorrow, so much so the cops stopped me to see what's up. Luckily I was already almost home so they let me go. And the temp gauge never actually maxxed out, it would get close but then drop back down a little bit towards normal. I babied her home and she wasn't happy. The idle was rough and it wouldn't cool off. Bummer.

So today I'll try to find/remove the blockage and get the car driveable again, while we figure out where to go from here.

#102 ·
Who's the smartass that voted 'other' and didn't make a suggestion?

I'll just chock that one up to a '13B-REW' vote. :rolleyes:

I'll be pulling the engine tonight, probly tossing the 1.8 back in just so I have something to drive for the week.

Friday's the deadline people!

#105 ·
Hmmmmm... got a particular 2.5 in mind? Like a 251 bottom end with 25D heads? I could probly afford to do something like that.

I guess I wanted to do something ...less conventional than matching heads and block. Also if it's a 4-banger it'll be boosted. Can't live without it now that I've had a taste!

#108 ·
Usually you can use the factory ECU with a piggyback as long as you retain all of the original sensors from the original ecu. Swapping over the cam wheels is usually necessary however. I ran a ej18 (sohc) with ej20g (dohc) heads and intake manifold. Swapped the ej18 stuff onto the 20g manifold and used the cam gear from the ej18 so the ignition timing would be right. Used a greddy emanage to modify fuel and timing from there.

What are the differences in the 255 long block vs 257? pistons? The crank is the same and I believe the block is also the same (semi closed deck).

#110 ·
Nah I'm yanking the motor right now to find out but I believe the heads are just warped. I took them from a blown up motor and didn't have them machined, shame on me.

Got the EJ18/EJ22T motor rebuilt, just need to swap some stuff over like injectors, wiring, ignitor, throttle body...

Gonna be a late night.

#116 ·
I do like the idea of 2.2 heads on a 2.5 block with STI rods and pistons, add boost... But the machine work will be money I don't have right now. The 1.8 is running really well right now and I'll have ignition control soon enough. I've narrowed it down to the ez30d or the ej22d, the former being more reliable and better low end/drive-ability, the latter being an easier install and probly faster overall...

I want the 6 cylinder but I also want boost. Ej engines and parts are easier and cheaper to come by so I feel more comfortable tinkering with boost. I've got time to think about it.

#119 ·
Thanks! I'm actually getting ready for another:help: although it won't be the ez30 yet...

I got the AEM FIC 6 on Wednesday, wired it in Friday morning, and spent all weekend tuning it. As far as the FIC6 goes, LOVE IT! At first I thought I was getting the 'subaru crank signal noise' due to missing at higher load and/or rpms, but it turned out I'm not very good at guessing a base tune when I've never tuned before. Weird, right?

Anyway, I started out trying to adjust the injectors output table to control fuel, but didn't get anything that was consistently smooth and driveable. I did a buttload of research on everything from Subarus to Chevys, MAF to MAP, OBD1/2... tons of reading for every type of setup.

Now I'm using the MAF table to dial back the signal to the ecu. Basically the same thing my potentiometer did, but this is obviously more versatile and precise. Fueling is cherry, running around pre boost AFR's are in the 14:1 area, and boost is about 12.75ish tapering to 12:1. :banana:

Next up was ignition. I used the 'create base ignition map' feature to take out 1 degree of timing per pound of boost... WAAAY to much retard. She was missing like crazy even at low boost. I have to run stock timing all the way up to 10psi, THEN start pulling it back, in very small increments.

Then there's the Injector Response Time, which I had to drop way down to keep from going crazy rich under boost and full throttle. The FIC6 also has a neat acceleration feature, that temporarily adds fuel for sudden throttle increases. Settings can be confusing and include:
Sensitivity [amount of throttle change required to trigger]
Fuel [% amount to increase fuel PER 'Sensitivity']
Limit [maximum % amount of fuel that can be added]
Time [delay after throttle increase before additional fuel tapers to zero]

So finally, Sunday night I managed to dial in a solid tune with great drive-ability and no missing or detonation, and promptly obliterate my turbo oil seal by being a dumbass and trying to block the pressure from my catch can. I plugged the breather for like a second, and smoke started billowing out of a leak between my turbo and downpipe. Now when I get into boost, my car creates this amazing smokescreen, and I can make daring escapes! And shut down the road....

I think my 'tuning' process just about killed my car anyway, the pressure coming out of my breathers and crank vent is unreal. Must've been those shitty felt gaskets :drunk:

#121 ·
When it comes to performance vehicles, you can break them up into 3 categories-Tuners, Muscle, and Exotics. Tuner cars tend to have different upgrade options in performance mods and visual mods(Usually run some form of a 4 cylinder motor).Muscle cars tend to go by the idea that bigger is better and go with high liter N/A V8 motors(5.0,5.6,5.7,6.0,6.6 Liters) or supercharged V8 motors with huge blowers above the hood. Exotics usually have high revving high HP motors that are less liters than muscle cars(like a 3.9L Ferrari V8). Exotics usually are 8 cylinder, 10 cylinder, or 12 cylinder. That's my view on the subject. Take any of that information with a grain of salt.

#135 ·
As a matter of fact I just started pulling the motor out of the Impreza. I should have my 2.5D heads back from the shop today, and if my gaskets show up as well I can reassemble my 22D, toss her in, and start tuning! I am a little concerned about the block though. I'll have to throw it together and see what the compression looks like I guess. Hopefully the rings don't leak too bad. If they do, it's EZ30 time!

I'm thinking of getting 20K/R cams for the 25D heads, supposed to be a drop-in upgrade.

Well besides my 3.3L boxer 6 SVX which I have been (slowly) working to turbo...
Nice, was considering turboing mine as well, but I'd also really like a balls to the wall N/A build with higher CR and revs, finish it off by porting the hell outta the exhaust... yea.

By the way your SVX looks sick with the blacked out tails, I may have to copy you...

...03 Infiniti M45, a decently rare bodystyle I like, I want to turbo this someday as well.
That is a cool Infiniti! Haven't seen one of those before...

207 is life
You can't make me!

I know it's a great engine, yet strangely it just doesn't interest me much. I mean, if I got one for free or something...

#132 · (Edited)
Voted other. Because 207 is life.

get a complete engine, new seals and gaskets. enjoy your 300+hp and boost wave. :naughty:

oh,
Tuner cars? Some drag car with no plates, and a laptop on the roof.

Muscle car? any car that is rowdy and throws down sub 12sec quarters. with cup holders and A/C.

Exotic? Renault 4 GTL. Citroen DS ? KTM X-Bow?

Drift car? Broken.

Grip? Downforce Bro. ahem, tire compound/brake pad bro.

Street? Low quarters, full interior,can turn corners. a nice place to be. the car you red light race on the way home from work.

:run:

#134 · (Edited)
Double post. Might as well give a little update:

I haven't driven my car in two weeks and it has SUCKED! The 1.8 is blown again. The 'Graphite Composite' (not felt) headgaskets didn't last long under boost. Or maybe I just really sux at building engines?
Well if at first you don't succeed, you're probly not a genius. But I knew that.

So this is the last time I'm putting a four cylinder in this car. If the 22D doesn't work out, six cylinder goodness will be swift to follow.

And I still really wanna go 4.11 but I'm scared of how rusted the rear end is... I might get brave this weekend.

#141 ·
The Gauge should fit in one of these slots. I don't have a/c anymore, so no need to change from hot to cold.

Also I thought about removing the Air vents and replacing them with a clock and Compass, set in plexiglass and put in those spots lol
You mean for my oil gauge? Ya, I briefly considered it but I DO have AC and I'll be keeping it. I like the idea of setting them into something in place of the vents. I was thinking along the same lines...

It'll be interesting to compare our results, we could do a dual reveal or something:blol:

#142 · (Edited)
Dang double posts!

Well, anyway...

My heads are still at the machine shop (just didn't pick them up) and neither my headgaskets nor my turbo seal kits showed up, so I basically tore my car apart for no reason. I plan to have everything for the long weekend so it get done. I'd also like to do my front suspension and rear sway bar, but might not get there.

It never ends :projectsti.com:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.