Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

careercadaver’s L wagon...she might just pull through

23K views 140 replies 17 participants last post by  careercadaver 
#1 · (Edited)
Here’s her most recent!

She’s coming along. Lots to finish and bolt on. Then the actual fun begins. Can’t wait to get into the mechanicals on this one...aesthetics will do while I make some decisions.

Up To Date(ish) Mod list:

Exterior:

V5/6 Front Bumper Cover
V5/6 Hood
Crystal Headlights
V6 STi Grille
JDM Smooth Rear Bumper Cover
JDM LW Rear Bumper Beam
JDM Rear Spats
JDM GF8 Tail Lights
JDM GF8 Roof Rails
V7 STi Wheels w/ Dunlop’s
Grimmspeed Antenna Delete
Amazon Front Lip

Interior:

JDM GF8 F&R Seats
JDM GF8 F&R Door Cards
WRX Black Carpet
Pioneer 8200NEX (coming soon)
Focal Utopia FA165w Components
Focal 400/4 Amp

Suspension & Brakes:

GC8 Showa Adjustable Height Suspension
GC8 STi Pink Springs
06 STi Front Subframe
06 STi Steering Rack
06 STi Rear Subframe

L&E GC/GD Steering Knuckle
GD STi Aluminum Front LCA’s
STi Aluminum Rear Trailing Arms
STi F&R Endlinks
GC8 Rear Hubs
Perrin Rear Sway Bar Stout Mounts

Gold STi Brembo Calipers F&R
Rear Caliper Adapters
DBA Rotors F&R
StopTech SS Brake Lines
RA STi Proportioning Valve

Fueling:
03 WRX Gas Tank
AEM340lph

Engine:

JDM ej205 w/ AVCS
Custom Vf48 w/ 11 Fin Billet Wheel
KOYO VH090302
v4 STi Slimline Fans

Driveline:

JDM 4.44 5MT
South Bend HD
GD STi F&R Subframes
TS Rear Subframe Lockdown Kit
GroupN Trans Mount
STi Rear Shifter Bushing
Torque Solutions Front Shifter Bushing
Torque Solutions Pivot Bushing

Not yet installed:

SVX Brake Master Cylinder
GS Master Cylinder Brace
RS Sideskirts
Mid & Upper Wing
Nardi Steering Wheel
Prodrive Shift Knob
20mm F&R Sway Bars
Full RS Dash & Console
Rain Guards
JDM Aero Guards

I’ll update pics as soon as she’s ready to roll out.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Day 1:

Picked up a 93L. One owner out of FL. It’s a 1.8L autotragic but we’ll get to that later.

Lots of research still going on regarding which direction to take the engine. I’d like an H6 but this may end up boosted depending on how the next year pans out. Planning for a fun reliable DD.

Here’s how she looked the day I bought her.

Here’s the underwhelming bay shot [emoji6]

...and the interior, which will be replaced as i can find bits. I hate the Old Man Tan.

Just under 98k on her.

From here she actually cleaned up pretty well. Paint was chipping near the rear hatch and there were a few bumps and bruises.

Picked up a donor RS to convert the car to a newer look.

Had the interior out of the L instantly. I assumed I could swap the newer dash with the RS but being a phase one engine I don’t have the option of powering the car off the RS ECU. So that will get swapped along with the engine.

Grabbed these to go back in. The Old Man Tan seats had nothing in the area of bolster support. I have a lot of the RS black indoor but this interior is going to drive me batty until it’s uniform.

Trimmed the L front bumper beam to accommodate the V4 bumper but I’ll be watching for the correct support to show up locally.

Picked up a BNIB Bumper Cover from the stealership. This one got me to the paint.

JDM tails and rear bumper...

From there she went straight to paint...and that was July.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
careercadaver’s L...currently as unimpressive as it sounds

What’s coming...

Rear wheel bearings are shot and I’m not putting money into drum brakes so I picked up a v4 STi set-up that will replace back to the hub. I’ll be upgrading the master cylinder to a WRX one and adding 17mm wagon rear sway and v7 STi wheels. Wheels will go on next year as I’m running RS 6 spokes with Hankook iPike’s for the snow.

Everything needs cleaned up and painted but I for right now I’m needing the car together so I can sell my GR STi.

I still have a few nice pieces that will go in from previous builds. Pioneer 8200NEX and component set-up. Not super into audio but I also have a powered sub for a GR hatch that may fit rather well in the trunk. Harness would be custom. The one from the dealer is $75 or more. Not sure if I’ll put the headunit in as the placement seems awful for a heads up display till you get into a GD.

#13 · (Edited)
careercadaver’s L wagon...currently as unimpressive as it sounds

Had bronze wheels on my LGT and Gold on my DGM Hatch. This is my third white Subaru (started with a GC Sedan) and I’ve yet to have Gold on white. Lol

...I’m a bit concerned the Gold has a bit more orange than I’d like but we’ll see after I get the car back. Either way I have Gold v7 STi wheels for summer so I’ll have the right shade come spring.

#16 ·
Thanks man! After acquiring parts it made more sense to paint it all vs blending old paint. She’s 25 years old next month...blending was too much to as of Subaru paint.

I am tempted to mess with him and tell him I plan to install a cheap sunroof at Ziebart or something. I had planned on driving this in the snow but if my STi doesn’t sell there’s no point in subjecting this to salt instantly...

#18 · (Edited)

The vent may happen at some point. Lots in front of that at this point.

I had bought the car planning to go eg33 but after reading more it looks like the ez30d is a better bet for a DD...just deciding if it’s worth the work vs an ej205 swap.

#20 ·

That does sound fun but if I’m going to go through putting turbo on an H6 I’d be tempted to build up the eg33 and run standalone. It’s hacking up the car and rarity of sensors, etc that has me leaning away from the 3.3L. After you make the jump to standalone you might as well consider the 3.0R...or at least early models but we’ve doubled the cost of the swap and it should still get internals to run much boost.

The ej205 sets me up for more growth (and the potential for a 207) but I was hoping to do an n/a build for the daily as I’ve just put too much into ej257’s these last few years.

#22 ·
Hey, you made a journal! I've been following your posts on the Kalamazoo Subarus FB page. Looks sweet man!

My vote is for boost. Take advantage of Michigan not having any type of inspection and go for an older JDM swap. Cheap, fast...

#25 · (Edited)

well, then. get garrett's hookup on a 207 and call it done. lol

If I stay with the turbo engine this is where I will end up...but that will require saving. I’m tempted to throw a 205 in there but it would only be a stepping stone.

Hey, you made a journal! I’ve been following your posts on the Kalamazoo Subarus FB page. Looks sweet man!

My vote is for boost. Take advantage of Michigan not having any type of inspection and go for an older JDM swap. Cheap, fast...

Glad to see you on there man, it’s a great group! It’s not at all what was intended for this car...the more I read the more I see the logic. Parts for the ej205 are too reasonable not to consider it. Especially because there’s a few 207 swaps that would be plug and play with just an ECU. The old school swaps do look a lot simpler. More to read...

Looks like a great start. In to see where it goes.

Thanks man! By the pics it’s turning out better than I had imagined.

#29 ·

Thanks man! There’s a lot still happening aesthetically with this car. JDM Spats, RS Sideskirts, Bugeye 3 piece front lip, JDM roof rack, mid and upper wings, tint, etc.

More pics please.

I’ll definitely post moar as soon as I have the car back. Should be Thursday evening...it’s likely getting a few pics taken and going right in for a rear hub and front and rear caliper conversion. Need to get an interior sorted too...

Lots of goodies waiting to go on!

#31 · (Edited)

Nice! They seem to really hug you, which I’m looking forward to. My current seats in my STi have worn bolsters and I prop myself too often.

I’ve been dreading buying trunk panels as well...last quote I had was $250. I imagine the cars would be about the same. Always a gamble. The v6 grille came from the same guy.

Not even entirely sure what I need as the rear speakers are over the wheels vs in the doors. I may just paint what I have for now and deal with the grandpa tan until I can source a replacement. It’s kinda pointless as I plan to run the newer dash with the swap.

The carpet also needs dyed or replaced. I have a line on WRX carpet but it might be grey...I had black WRX carpet in my sedan years back and remember it “fit” bit wasn’t all that great.

Got the call he finished the hatch and had it back together but I was unable to coordinate with him. I believe we’re set for tomorrow afternoon!

#35 · (Edited)
careercadaver’s L wagon...who drank my molotov?

Thanks!! Considering trying to avoid putting her through too much of our Michigan winter by driving my STi a few more months before selling.

May be in town this weekend... I wants to seeess!

She’s getting your v4 brakes this weekend. She’s not plated either man. Probably be next year before I get her out, unfortunately.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.