Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Fastfalcon94's build thread, swapped GC

44K views 75 replies 37 participants last post by  alanspawn 
#1 · (Edited)
Edit: 3/12/2019 - Changed hosting and now have https so my pictures appear again.

I realized I don't have a build thread on rs25, just my local newenglandsubarus.com forum. So here it is. This is my 4th GC. I've been into 3000gt's since I

got my license. I originally bought a 2.5rs coupe for a winter car/dd and that's where it all started:). Being a College student at the time I didn't have a

whole lot of money to mod it so they stayed pretty basic. I knew that someday I'd go through one and do it just the way I wanted it. Well here it is.

Checked searchtempest.com (craigslist) night and day, all 50 states looking for a rust free gc. Found one posted in South Carolina for $3400. I called the

guy 10 minutes after posting it, had him take a pic of the underside and inside the sunroof opening. 20 minutes later he had his deposit. I flew down there

and drove it home. Not pretty at all but ran great. 150k miles, 0 rust

I immediately started buying parts. I live in Northern VT so Canada is just next door. Montreal has a bunch of parts places with real JDM stuff for decent

prices. Some are now starting to be vendors on here (Nagano, jdm engine import, jdm advance motors, osaka etc..)

Picked up a newer style bumper, newer style crystal headlights, jdm corners, real jdm front lip, jdm grill, jdm v5 wing, jdm tails, jdm rear bumper w/

spats. Also ordered some Rally Armor mudflaps. It's the 4th set I've ordered. You'd think they would give me a deal or at least allow for me to buy

replacement hardware but no.

Found an engine posted on Nasioc from a guy parting out an 06 wrx in NJ. Came with Immobilizer, ecu, wiring, steering column, pedals, steering rack,

crossmember etc... I don't have a truck so I had to improvise. Got there around 1:00AM, loaded it up and drove 7 hours home. Stayed awake on redbull.I went

with the 06 as I wanted a 2.5L, with dual avcs.

Picked up some fabric from Ript USA. He went to college up here so I just stopped by his appartment.

Finally found a pair of v7 seats up in Canada. I swear when you are looking for them they are hard to find. I've been up there a few times lately and they

are everywhere.

And another pic. I was messing with my clockspring. I had it rebuilt by a company on ebay for $50. Well worth it.

Didn't take me long to put the motor in.

Also bought an ebay exhaust and gc control arms

Thanks to Brydon's guide and my roomates help we were able tackle the wire merge in about a weeks time. We spent a few hours on it after work. It was a pain

but rewarding at the same time.

EDIT: Current Modlist.

Exterior
-----------
99-01 style front bumper
jdm v5-v6 grill
ebay fog light covers
jdm gc front lip with sti badge
jdm gc rear spats
jdm rear bumper with jdm license plate mount
jdm v5 rear wing
jdm tail lights
jdm aluminum hood
painted side skirts
bakemono high rise scoop
sti rear splitter
05-07 sti 17x8 Golds BBS wheels
Painted WRB by Holler Customs
JDM Crystal headlights
JDM folding mirrors
Rally Armor mudflaps
tinted windows and front vinyl window stripe done by me

Engine and Drivetrain
------------
06 WRX 2.5L engine with wire merge done by me
05 sti complete drivetrain with 5x114.3 hubs, sti axles, sti 6 speed
group n tranny mount
group n engine mounts
VF43 sti turbo heat wrapped with cobb heatshield
STI TMIC
Air vacumm pump deletes
HKS Carbon TI exhaust
3" downpipe
kartboy SS with poly bushings
DCCDpro
grimspeed EBC
aluminum radiator with jdm overflow tank
powdercoated intake manifold

Suspension and Handling
------------
ISC coilovers
aluminum front control arms
poly steering rack bushings
05-07 sti quick steering rack
Poly diff bushings and T bushings
Kartboy front and rear endlinks
eibach 25mm swaybars
Perrin stout mounts
Whiteline ALK
Whiteline bump steer kit
jdm sti front strut bar
cusco rear strut bar
STI brembos with stainless lines
Dunlop Direza Star Spec Z1 tires

Interior and Audio
----------------------
retrofitted sti cluster in dash
depo boost gauge, oil pressure gauge and innovate wideband in compass pack
Polk component speakers all around
painted headlights black
iva-w505 head unit with navigation
jdm v7 sti seats front and rear
usdm blue sti carpet
blue door inserts from ript-usa
sti pedals with matching deadpedal
sti shift knob
JDM v7 momo steering wheel
sti dccd switches

Attachments

See less See more
#29 · (Edited)
Adding a few more photos. The muffler is an HKS Carbon TI one. I bought a wrecked wrx to part out last year and it came with this free muffer:)

I've been working on my 3000gt in my spare time this winter, but since my transmission for it's shipped away to have a billet endcase put on I have been working on the suby. I ordered a few parts with my tax returns.

I went with DW850 injectors and a DW fp. VEMS (Vermont Engine Management Systems) hooked me up with these parts. Jason was able to get me everything for a lot cheaper than anywhere else I could find online. I also got some stainless brake lines, stainless clutch line.

Here is the amp mounted. Also take notice of the trunk release lever. I moved it forward about 1.5 inches to mimic the sti latch so that I wouldn't have a hole visible from the carpet swap.

also added an aftermarket antenna since I had mine shaved. It will be nice to have the radio again.

Sub box in the trunk. I had to cut out a piece of plywood for the floor. The factory cardboard one was bowed pretty good. THe rear seats are just sitting in the car now. I will mount them correctly after I put the FP in.

I also made my own shift/ebrake boot. Since I have a 6 speed with a 2.5rs console, there is no direct fit shift boot. It was a pain in the ass to make but I'm happy with it. Took me 4 tries and I had to use youtube just to figure out how to thread the sewing machine.

Here's a peak at my vr4 transmission. This is a billet inner bell housing brace I had welded on by Kales Custom.

And here is the billet endcase that is being put on this week. Pampena Motorsports is installing it, they are also the suppliers. I would have done it myself but there are certain preloads you have to set and you need a press.

#37 · (Edited)
I may have a spreadsheet on my other pc that has the cluster wiring. If I recall though after putting it in the car I had 1 mistake I had to fix and I can't quite remember what it was so the spreadsheet wouldn't be exact. I still don't have the dimmer working for it either. Someday I'll look more into it.

The car's in my garage for winter now. I washed it after the first snow and put it away.

My vr4 has had some work done to it too. It has a big brake kit on the front now and I needed to get different wheels to clear it. I'm using enkei rp03's now.

And this is where they wait until spring

#41 · (Edited)
It's been a while since I updated this thread. I know someone asked about the gauge cluster wiring I used. This is my spreadsheet I used. I updated it recently because I went back and fixed my cluster so that it dims properly now.

http://802projects.com/documents/gaugeclusterwiring.xlsx

Anyways I went ahead and fixed every little thing that was bothering me about the subaru.

- Fixed the Gauge cluster wiring so that it dims now just like the sti does
- Did the timing belt job including cam seals and a tomei guide. I removed the filters from the banjo bolts while I was at it.
- Replaced the crappy koyo radiator with a Mishimoto one. I kept smelling coolant but couldn't figure out why. I had 3 seems leaking on the Koyo. While I had the fans off I cleaned them up and painted them.
- I modified my jdm power folding mirrors so that they fold in parallel now (802Projects)
- I removed the ript-usa micro-suede. It had faded after several years. I replaced it with real alcantara.
- I got rid of my rs clockspring because my airbag light came back on. I know I had it rebuilt in the past but it didn't last very long. Looks like the company just re-attached the ribon cable that broke off instead of replacing it with a new cable. So the ends were still attached but I think the ribon cable had cracks in the traces. I used an sti clockspring this time. I was able to modify it to fit the rs steering column.
- My sunroof drip pan somehow started rusting, no idea why as the rest of the car is rust free. It was also all overspray from the paint job. So I bought a used one from a low mileage florida car. I cleaned it all up, painted the drip pan for extra protection, and greased the track. I no longer have to push up on the sunroof to help open it.
- I bent the tabs on my passenger door panel so that it doesn't press against the glass as much. Now my passenger window opens faster.
- I had my brembos rebuilt/powdercoated.
- New Centric Premium rotors
- I rebuilt my ISC coilovers and upgraded to swift springs while I was in there. The rear adjustable camber plates mean there are tiny holes where water could technically come up into the car. When I first put them in I siliconed the holes shut after my alignment. That was a bad idea as it was a pain to remove. This time I layed down a layer of ceram wrap and packed play-doh on top of it. Hopefully this works.
- New BF Goodrich sport comp 2 tires
- Installed an Invidia downpipe to replace the ebay one I was running. Honestly the Invidia fit awful. It didn't line up to the HKS Carbon TI one at all. I had to cut the flange off it and modify it.
- I bought JDM torsion bars for my trunk so it no longer slams shut from the weight of the v5 wing.

This coming summer I'm going to put in a new clutch/flywheel. I also want to make a splitter for the bakemono hoodscoop and clean up the underside weave portion of it. And I'm looking for an in-cabin air filter setup if anyone has one.

I'm messing with front lips too. I wish my jdm front lip hung a little lower. I really like the prodrive and wish I could source an original one. I bought the ebay one but I'm not happy with it. Then I bought the cf seibon p1 lip. That fits a lot better, and looks alright. I think I'd like it better though if it was blue and I'm not sure I want to paint the CF one as it would be harder to get rid of if I found the real deal. I traded an air filter for a severely damaged 2.5rs bumper that had a rare orciari lip zip tied to it. The thing was is bad shape and broken in 2 spots. Someone had tiger haired teh back side of it. It took me forever to get it down to the abs plastic so I could plastic weld everything. I'm going to paint it and try it out. I need to respray my spats and sideskirts anyways.

microseude vs real alcantara

Leaky Koyo radiator. I had to add some pressure to it and use soapy water to find the leak. Mishimoto offers a lifetime warranty so I went with them vs buying another koyo.

new Mishimotor with jdm fans repainted

Figuring out how to get the cluster to dim and replacing clockspring

No more airbag light!

Parallel power folding mirrors

Brembos rebuilt and powdercoated by detectivecoating.

Testing carbon p1 lip

Sunroof replacement all cleaned up and lubed

#47 ·
Update: So I went back and painfully fixed all my photobucket image links. I haven't driven my Suby yet this year, but tonight. It's been on the backburner with other stuff I had going on. The cold snowy/rainy weather hasn't helped. Since last time....

- I installed the iwire hoodscoop splitter (fits awesome)
- cleaned up the rough underside of my bakemono scoop
- Adjusted my ISC preload (Car has been bouncy and ISC said my preload is too tight. And it was, hoping to drive it tonight to test it)
- adjusted my drivers door. The striker was sticking out a little so it wasn't closing flush
- installed a cabin air filter (finally found the rare bracket)
- Had my car tuned by Nick at VEMS (288hp and 335 ft/lbs torque)

This year I want to have my sideskirts resprayed and get a new windshield. Mine isn't cracked, it's just old and chipped. I'm also looking for a real prodrive p1 lip if anyone has a lead on one. I currently have the ebay one and a carbon fiber one, but I want the real thing. Eventually I want to do an abs delete and replace my MC with an sti one (already bought) and install some kind of IC sprayer. Right now the abs is unhooked. I want to clean up the lines though and mount a jdm IC sprayer tank where my abs pump is. And I promise someday I'm going to get a new clutch. When I did the 6 speed swap I re-used a pretty worn sti clutch. I figured it wouldn't last long.... 6 years later and it still holds fine. In addition I've been working on some other builds. I LS2 swapped an RX7, cleaned up a DD 1g 3000gt vr4, helped my gf build her forester, and I've been building a shop behind my house.

2.5RS on the Dyno! It was so nice to be able to go WOT last year. I had been babying it around since I put in 850cc injectors.

2.5rs on VEMS dyno - YouTube

Garage (still a work in progres. Being mudded soon, then I have painting to do. More pics here: 802Projects)

gf's Forester XT Sport (more pics here: 802Projects)

93 3000gt vr4 restore (build here: 802Projects)

94 Mazda Rx7 restore (hopefully being painted this year! build here: 802Projects)

#50 ·
It's been almost a year since I updated this thread. All my pics had disappeared since the forum is now secure and my website wasn't:/ I finally got a certificate and fixed that so now everything works. I figured I'd give an update too. This is what I've been working on...

- I'm putting an intercooler sprayer in my car. It will work with auto and the manual button. I've already tested the wiring. I just need to move it into my car. I'll post the wiring below and I made a video of me testing and explaining everything on the workbench.

- I got into 3d printing and designed a cabin air filter cover. I've shipped one to another member of the forum to install and review.

- I still need to have my sideskirts painted and get a new windshield. I got the ociari lip in primer now too.

- My rx7 is being painted right now.

- I got my garage all mudded/taped/painted and the lights installed. It took me all summer to do so I kind of fell behind on car stuff. That and I had to re-shingle the roof of my house.

- I finally bought a Supra. It was surprisingly easy to get a loan for one to. I wish I had bought one sooner now.

This is the wiring diagram. It's a modification of the jdm one to simplify a few things and use a hobbs swich.

video of it working:

Sti intercooler sprayer wiring for 2.5rs (Manual and Auto buttons) - YouTube

3d printed cabin air filter cover

More pics of it here: 802Projects

rx7 engine bay stripped and painted

The stable of stuff I never drive. I still need to get some lifts and run air lines. I have a bathroom I need to start too.

Upstairs is half wood shop, and half parts room

More Garage pics here: 802Projects

#51 ·
sub'd to look over later! High rise scoop looks great, can't wait to get one from his next batch. Definitely after one of the printed cabin filter covers once you get any to spare.

Garage is a thing of dreams man! Also what all wood working things do you work on?

#52 ·
I haven't done any wood working projects in a while. I have built some canoes, a kayak, poker table etc... I want to make a paddleboard eventually but it will be a while. I need to put some kind of flooring upstairs the garage and put in some kind of dust collecting system.

kayak

canoe

poker table

I turned a small sunroom into a little bar/poker room and hung the kayak on the wall.

#57 ·
Thanks. I am a member of that FB group already. I post to it occasionally. I was a member of the newenglandsubarus forum too but I think that has gone under.

Razor7; said:
Can you send me the files for the cabin air filter cover? I can print here in PLA or PVC.
Sorry I do not want to give that out as I've been selling them on ebay and facebook. I was going to post a for sale ad in the classified here, but I think I would need a vendor account which is $700 a year. I'd be lucky to break even.