Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com - View Single Post - DrunkenBoxer 2.0
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2016, 04:48 PM  
ImprezaRSC
2.0L Turbo

Car: 2000 2.5RS BRP
Fav Mod: 8 SEMA awards.
Trader Rating: (2)

Project Lambda Tuning Software

Previous thread: https://www.rs25.com/forums/f5/t22102...ing-again.html for enquiring minds wanting to know.

Overview

ProjectLambda is run by Mike, user 92SS. This is user tuneable software for our ECUs. I do not sell them. I paid and got mine in a few days.

$120 for the Bluetooth device
$280 for 1 vehicle license.

Specs

I do apologize for the lack of screenshots. I was asked to not show anyone, but a review is at least due.

The software gives you just enough controls to be very useful. They are laid out in a simple fashion from the main menu. Auxiliary controls can be turned on/off. DTCs can be deactivated. Available fuel and timing maps can be adjusted.

This is where the weird reading comes into play. You see the X+Y axes, but the numbers you see in the cells make almost no sense. You are adjusting a derived figure from other tables that you don't have access to. It looks like tuning, but feels a little more like tuning a computer instead of a car. You have to use an Excel spreadsheet for now to nail the fuel mapping. Timing is straight forward. Steve is working on improving the usability of it and making the process more straightforward.

Tables available are things like base spark, learned spark, base fuel, power fuel, and o2 sensor scaling. There are a couple of global variables to get right and then you can move on to tuning the cells. The main tables are 16x16. They can be rescaled and it will update all the other tables.

Review

This has been a lot of fun to geek out on and to see it work so seamlessly. I'd suggest taking it to a tuner if you have never done this before. If you have tuned a car before, this is something you can use as long as you accept that it reads just a little differently. I'm glad I took the chance because I could lasso the product and the problems on the car both. This build was a good test of its capabilities as well as the stock ECU. All of the engine fabrication that was done demanded tuning and this software was up to the task. The end result feels as repeatable and consistent as factory.

The product support has been fantastic and the beta software has been quite usable. You do have to be pretty good with computers. You are working on a computer. It does involve a spreadsheet and some basic algebra to nail the fueling. The lingo is a little different, but is easy with practice. I found it to be a very software intensive exercise. Working on this feels more like working on a computer than tuning a car, and I'm just saying that to be fair.

The bluetooth is the biggest reason to get it. No cables are in the way! It can write and log both, but not simultaneously. You do have to be mindful of battery voltage to flash successfully. Putting a charger on the battery is good safety practice.

ECU code AF582 For the record, these cars have very good factory ECUs. Even though we have been unable to reflash as an end user, this ECU lets you get away with murder. E85, turbo, or high compression n/a, you have to admit that they are at least capable. Now, we end users can tune it.

I ended up with a self-made tune that is appropriately rich, with plenty of timing advance in the upper revs. The torque feels upwardly linear like a Honda instead of necessarily table top flat. It winds out instead of grunting all the torque at once, likely due to non-use of AVCS. The lower gears are stupid quick. You have to be committed to using them, looking a lot farther ahead before mashing the gas. I have not raised the redline, yet......

Last edited by ImprezaRSC; 06-23-2016 at 03:22 PM..
ImprezaRSC is offline   Reply With Quote