Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Budget Clean And Simple 98L

7K views 33 replies 9 participants last post by  JaeILV2 
#1 · (Edited)
Not my first time with Subarus, as I started my first project in 08. Swapped it a V2 STi and learned a lot about cars. Here she is right before I sold her.

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/t83715-project-slizzut.html
My old car and project. Now she is Laguna Blue and somewhere in New York. I hope the owner of her is taking care of her.

So onto the new car. I been driving around a 2013 Honda Accord Sport 6MT. Its nice, new, roomy, decent IMID features and the 6MT shifts like butter. Problem is, it's not a Subaru. I missed the AWD. Missed the simplicity of the interior and functons. Looked around for awhile and found this beauty, others may see it as just a simple Impreza but to me I knew it was going to be my next project. For now, since I still have the Accord I will DD the Suby and the Accord can sit at home since I've already added about 40k miles since I bought it new a year and a half ago. Bought her for less then a grand, only flaws is a baseball size dent, rear main seal leak and CEL for P0440. 204k on a 2.2L and it's a auto. Auto to manual swap at some point, along with a full WRX or STi swap whenever I pay off the Accord. For now, she will get lil love and care along the way.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)

Mods

Drivetrain
1994 Legacy SS Block with EJ205 Heads
VF52 Turbo with Agency Power Hard 3" Turbo Inlet
Zerolift TGV Deletes
SPT Short Ram Intake
Killer B Oil Pick up
STi Oil Pan
Perrin Light Weight Crank Pulley
3MM Grimspeed Intake Manifold Spacers
NGK Iridum Spark Plugs
FMIC
Invidia Equal Length Headers/Upipe
Turbosmart Veeport BOV
STi Pinks
Mac 3port Electronic Boost Controller
Kart Boy Short Shifter
Kart Boy Shifter Bushing Combo
Helix Catted Downpipe
Cobb Tuning exhaust
Techna-Fit SS Clutch line
Walbro 255LPH HP Fuel Pump
Kart Boy Exhaust Hangers
WRX Transmission with OEM Exedy flywheel and clutch
WRX Pedals

Brakes, Suspension, And Wheels
ISC Coilovers
JDM 4pots
JDM 2pots
Bakemono 2pot Rear Adapters
Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines
Fall/Winter Wheels: RS Goldies with 205/55/16
Spring/Summer Wheels: JDM STi V7 with 225/45/17

Exterior
JDM V5/V6 Grill
JDM Fogs
JDM Rear Spats
JDM Rear Bumper with JDM Rear Bumper Beam
RS Bumper with JDM Front Bumper Beam
RS Hood
RS Rear Trunk
RS Coupe Spoiler
RS Side Skirts
Amber Corners
Amber Signals
Retrofitted Crystal Clears with Morimoto H1 Mini projectors
Hood Dampers

Interior
RS Black interior conversion
Front Double Cup Holder
EDM WRX Cluster (MPH)
V6 STi seats
Impreza LX rear fold down seats
Red Stitched JDM shift knob
JDM V7 WRX Momo Steering Wheel
JDM Hazard Switch
JDM Sun Visors
Fog Light switch

#4 ·
Thanks for the kind words. I had a V2 JDM swap and loved it, but I like the idea of a USDM swap more. More tuning options available and be able to diagnose CELs with the OBDII port. It will be awhile till I really start spending money on it, but slowly and surely I will.

#5 ·
Yeahh i hear ya on the diag and tuning side of things.
Drive a 92 wrx right now for daily, minimal tuning options and hard to diag.
Im planning on doing the 04 swap powered by a cobb and some maps to daily.
Then im going to RHD full JDM STI my 04 wrx and go standalone with that, wont be daily'd.

Are you planning/wanting a USDM swap for this?

#7 ·
Yeah it was for sale on Nasioc. The old car has changed hands 2-3x since I sold it. Honestly, the old car was inspiration to get back into the Suby scene. When I saw this 4dr, I knew I had to get my hands on it.

Again, thank you for the support. I like the Subaru forums way more then the Honda ones. The guys over there arguing about wether or not to put HID kits into halogen projectors. I need more turbo and awd talk in my life, not the trash I read on there. It feels awesome to be back, I felt like a piece of me was missing for awhile. What I was actually missing was the rear wheels moving along with the fronts lol.

#8 ·
Looks like I will need to replace more then the rear main seal. Car on a lift right now and there oil all over the place. Going to power wash it all then rip the motor out.

Lately I been intrigued by a EG33 swap. I'll keep doing more research!

#9 ·
Replaced all seals for the hell of it, along with new gates timing belt and water pump kit. Car is missing a few small parts but should be up and running within the next week or so. Getting excited to drive a 2.2L with a auto lol

Been offered a Legacy GT that been in a wreck. It's nothing fancy, but mainly I'm thinking of drum to brake disc conversion, along with auto to manual swap. Front leather seats should be a nice upgrade too, but we will see.

Attachments

#10 ·
Car is up and running with a few minor issues. Brakes absolutely suck right now, I think I remember seeing a hose leaking in the rears. Regardless, I'm picking up a rear brake disc conversion tomorrow. A long with clear head light glass and a OBS hood. Car already getting more parts then I was expecting.

After the brake conversion done I'll think about coilovers.

#12 ·
Yea it is my old car. I've talked to the guy who had that for sale thread up and don't know who the current owner is. They should of kept it white! :_sure:

On to new and better things. I get to start this project from the ground like I did with the other and already doing the same steps. First mod I did for that car was the drum to disc conversion. Slowly and patiently...

#17 ·
5 speed swap is under way, got all parts off a 98OBS. Hopefully I can find more time to keep it going. Also scooped up new throw out bearing, shifter bushing joint link, short shifter, amber corners, and a set of RS goldies. Still thinking about suspension parts and if I should just go LGT Front brakes and H6 rears or go 4/2 pots.

Attachments

#18 ·
5 speed swap done. Along with drum to RS brake conversion with new pads and rotors. Got the chance to mount the tires and put on the wheels. Pretty happy with its small but nice upgrades on the car so far. Still debating on GF210 springs or coilovers. Never had coilovers, always been on KYB AGX with H&R springs and GF210s. Really like the GF210/AGX setup more.

Attachments

#20 ·
Lately been spending money on parts because I kept finding deals. I ended up getting ISC N1 coilovers, V5/V6 JDM Grill, and traded my RS crystal clear head lights with cash for a set of crystal clear head lights with Morimoto Bi Xenon Mini H1 retrofit.

I really wanted to keep it simple and plain, but the prices and deals I been finding on the fly has made me want to spend a little more on the car. I also changed out the clear turn signals for amber ones. Hopefully the coil overs and retrofit head lights will be on the car before Wicked Big Meet next Sunday.

Attachments

#21 · (Edited)
A small update. Ended up getting RS Sedan black interior along with RS coupe trunk and spoiler. Currently piecing out a small audio system and will start thinking about more suspension mods and better brake options. The CTS-V brembo front brakes seems very enticing price wise :naughty:

I like em clean. I like em simple.

Attachments

#23 ·
Spent Sunday morning tearing out my tan interior in place for the RS interior with a friend. It was hot as hell out, but worth the trouble. Only thing is we didn't switch out the dash yet, for those who know about taking these apart, they are a pain in the ass.

I need a few small pieces like holy **** bars, black hazard button, and the console pieces on the side of the cd player. I'll live with it tho, as my buddies say "it's better than the doo doo brown".

Attachments

#24 ·
Good deal man! i pretty much have everything for my 5 speed swap except a few bushings and a tranny mount. Did you have any problems with the wiring and the idle staying really high? thats pretty much the only reason i havent jumped into mine, also did you swap axles with the 5spd car or use all of your auto ones?

#25 ·
Small update, I think the transmission is about to go. Making weird noises, I know the pilot bearing is toast, and it is popping out of 4th gear with ease. Just bought another OBS tranny, new kartboy bushings, new exedy clutch and flywheel kit. I'll probably put in the last part of the RS interior swap, which is the dash. Looking for a few small pieces but I will have to wait until I can find em.

Really wish I just did a WRX tranny swap, but I rather wait and do everything at once.

#26 ·
Just dropped off the car to get the transmission swap done. Ended up buying short shifter shift links for the car too. I forgot to mention I also picked up EDM UK WRX cluster since it's plug and play with my 98, WRX momo steering wheel, and JDM 4pots. Just need to get 2pots, brackets, rotors, and SS brake lines.

I try to budget myself, but because of the internet, found a great price on JDM V7 wheels that was local.

Hopefully everything goes smoothly and I can finally address the body of the car.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.