Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

I'm Broke: Subaruing on a Microscopic Budget

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Maximilian 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm Broke:​
Subaruing on a Microscopic Budget
Chapter 1: The Journey Begins

Hey guys. People call me Max. On November 2, 2013, (a week before my 18th birthday) I bought a 2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs Coupe 5MT with 150,000 miles for $3,800. I love the car. I have been saving up for the car for nearly 2 years, but due to having to buy 2 grand's worth of tools for school (Associates in Automotive Technology), I couldn't afford much more than that. A week after I bought it, I went autocrossing and managed a 2nd in class the first day, and the best in class PAX time the second day.

I was in G stock novice

To Mod List

[x]Exhaust
[x]Mudflaps
[]Short throw shifter
[]Wheels and tires
[]Rear sway bar
[]Paint
[]Speakers
[]Light bar
[x]Stickerz
[]RB5 spoiler:cool:
[x]Clear corners

To Fix List

[x-ish]Drivers front fender
[x]Fog lights
[x]Broken marker light
[]Check engine light
[]Shifter bushings
[x]Grille (one clip is broken and emblem is missing)
[]New tires
[x] Control arm
[x]Hard steering to the right- it's the steering rack

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Oh Jeez.:clap:

Ok, so a few weeks passed, I changed the oil, then I bought a catback.
It's a Tsudo N1. Install was pretty easy. The only hitch was that the holes in the back of the stock cat were not large enough for the hardware that came with the exhaust,and I broke both the old bolts getting them off, so the holes in the cat had to be enlarged.
Terrible picture. I'll try to get a video uploaded to youtube and post a link.

Anyway, I crashed. Well, I hit the curb. I currently have mostly bald summer tires on the car, there was snow on the ground, I braked too hard and slid right into a big fat curb. :stafiseiz (I love that smiley). So it ended up that the rim was pretty much ruined, and the control arm was also bent. So one control arm later, and now I am on a donut.:facepalm:

Here is the rim.

And here is the car after it happened.

#6 ·
I might do that, but I want to stay in stock class for autocross, so they have to be the same size as the stock ones. I might go with WRX rims as the stock rs rims are both hard to find and therefore expensive, and because wrx rims are readily available with tires. and are cheap. What I'm looking at right now is getting some WRX rims with summer tires, and waiting till summer to get some other rims with sticky tires.

And then theres the swap....:naughty:

#9 · (Edited)
Alright. Today's drama is that I went into a snowy ditch. My front wheels were in the ditch, but my rear wheels were on the semi cleared road. My front wheels were turning, but my rear wheels were not. Meaning? Is this a problem or a drawback of a crappy lsd or what?
Afterwards, I tested it, and with all 4 wheels on snow, all 4 wheels spin. So i can still get sideways. As long as i avoid ditches. And curbs.

#16 ·
I'M NOT DEAD!!!
Que Yakety Sax:
Head gasket blew.
Replaced fender.
Got mudflaps.
Got black marker lights.
Broke trans speed sensor.
At this point I hit a crossroads. The rust was growing, the engine was smoking, knocking and overall, the car was developing a general shitty patina. So i got this:http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p751/spaceblank/IMG_21121_zpse1f8b6fa.jpg
Its an EJ205 out of an '02 WRX. I'm rebuilding it in school. The total cost of the engine, wiring, ecu, crossmember, accessories, sway bar, fuel pump, and controller is $1,800. My grandma left me some money which will help fund the project. I will try and (get a better camera) document the rebuild and swap processes as they progress.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.