Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Mailman’s 2000 RS Coupe: EJ257 / JDM EJ205 Hybrid Swapped

34K views 184 replies 32 participants last post by  bue car 
#1 · (Edited)

As of 12/18/2022: 190251 chassis miles
Swapped at 188706 miles
1545 miles on swap

This is my 2000 Impreza RS coupe which has been my daily driver since 2004. I bought it used from a gentleman in Dallas who had it set up for autocross. Faced with the prospect of buying a new car, I couldn’t find it in myself to part with it! Now after years of wear and tear I am committed to making this thing new again, and to eventually make it into the STI it always wanted to be :)

--- GOALS ---

Overall:

• RSTI with daily driven power
  • OEM+ style build
  • "Luxury RS" finish
Short/mid-term Goals:
  • USDM EJ257 / JDM EJ205 Hybrid Swap (currently in post-swap tuning phase)
Long-term Goals:
  • Rear suspension refresh
  • 6-speed swap
  • V6 body trim
  • Upgrade stereo
  • Interior refresh

--- BUILD NOTES ---

Engine & Exhaust:

• USDM EJ257 / JDM EJ205 Hybrid Built Motor
    • 2018 STI RA OEM Shortblock
    • JDM EJ205 Heads, Manifold, Headers
    • IHI VF48 "Hi Flow" Billet Turbocharger
    • 2021 STI Intercooler
    • Tomei Silcone Inlet
    • SPT 02-07 WRX Intake
    • Grimmspeed Lightweight Crank Pulley
    • STI "Dark Blue" 565cc Injectors
    • STI Group N Engine Mounts
    • 2011+ WRX/STI 100a Alternator
    • 07 STI Power Steering Pump
  • HKS Catless Up-pipe
  • Cobb Tuning Turbo-back Exhaust w/ GESI Hi-flow Cat
Transmission:
  • JDM 02 WRX 5-speed Transmission TY754VBBAA 4.444 FD
  • STI Group N 5-speed Transmission Mount
  • STI Group N Pitch Stop
  • XClutch Stage 1X 02-05 WRX Clutch
  • XClutch Chromoly Flywheel 13.42lbs
  • 02-05 Clutch Master Cylinder
  • Kartboy Transmission Crossmember Bushings
  • COBB Tuning Short Throw Shifter
  • Energy Suspension Shifter Bushings
Steering and Suspension:
  • 04 STI Power Steering Rack
  • KYB AGX Struts
  • King OE Height Springs
  • STI Group N Strut Mounts
  • JDM Aluminum Front Control Arms
  • STI Group N Front Control Arm Rear Bushings
  • Cusco Rear Sway Bar
  • SPT Front Strut Tower Brace
Wheels/Tires/Brakes:
  • 06-07 WRX 4/2 Piston Brakes
  • Powerstop Stainless Brake Lines
  • Sparco Assetto Gara Wheels, 17x7.5 Matte Graphite Silver
  • Bridgestone Potenza Tires, RE980AS 215/50R-17
Exterior:
  • Full Repaint
  • JDM Tail Lights
  • Depo Clear Corners and Side Markers
  • Painted Shark Fin Antenna
  • 06-07 STI Badging
  • Full LED Lighting
Interior:
  • 2006 STI Floor Mats
  • 02 WRX Pedal Covers
  • IAG Floor Mat Bracket
  • STI Duracon 5-speed Shift Knob
  • GC Navigation/Gauge Pod
  • Alpine CDE-SXM145BT Single DIN Receiver
  • Infinity Reference 6000cs 6.5" Component Door Speakers
  • Infinity Reference 6522IX 6.5" Coaxial Rear Speakers
  • Pioneer 12" Subwoofer in Custom Box
  • Noico 80mil Sound Deadener, ~120 sqft
  • Full LED Dash Lighting

--- TABLE OF CONTENTS ---

1. Original Photos
2. Head Gasket Repair
3. Shifter Linkage/Bushings, Transmission Mount, Interior Trim
4. Suspension, Wheels, and Tires
5. Repaint!
7. Shark Fin Antenna
8. Sound Deadening
9. STI V8 Steering Wheel
10. JDM EJ205 Powertrain Received!
11. 06/07 WRX 4/2 Piston Brakes
12. JDM 5-Speed Install
13. Engine Rebuild as EJ257 Hybrid!
14. 04 STI Steering Rack, JDM Control Arms, Crossmember
15. After a break... the swap resumes
16. First start up and break-in

See less See more
#79 ·
I popped the heads off to check the pistons and cylinders and found a nasty surprise. It looks like water got inside the engine at some point in the past and corroded cylinder 4. You can see corrosion damage on the bottom of the cylinder wall, along with a bunch of pitting. I contacted JDM Racing Motors about the issue and am awaiting a response. Its outside the 30 day warranty period so I'm not sure if they'll be willing to help. If I have to rebuild the bottom end, there's a ton of different directions I could take this build...

#82 ·
Quick update. Nick @ JDM Racing Motors was very accomodating despite the engine being past the warranty period. Due to the nature of the damage, he offered a replacement engine or partial refund to go toward repair. I opted for the partial refund, as the motor is completely disassembled at this point, and all the other engine components seem to be in good working order. I ordered an new OEM shortblock so it will have a fresh bottom end.

In other news, I painted the intake manifold STI red!

#84 ·
The build is taking an interesting turn. I got an EJ257 2018 STI RA shortblock (10103AD020). The heads are off at IAG getting a bath and the 2.5l combustion chamber modification. This is becoming an EJ257/205 hybrid build!

p.s. Anyone want to buy a JDM EJ205 shortblock that needs machine work?

#89 ·
I finally got the heads back from IAG. IAG's machining is fairly expensive and backlogged, but the work they did is impressive. I had them modify the combustion chamber for 2.5L. This opens up the area around the valves to maintain proper compression and prevent detonation which is common on hybrid builds. I also had the heads resurfaced, a valve job performed with new OEM valves, and had the casings vapor hone cleaned. They look brand spanking new. Despite the fact that I picked them up locally, they were packaged obscenely well.

#91 · (Edited)
Heads are on and torqued to spec. I added an 11mm OEM oil pump, Aisin water pump, and installed the water/breather pipe. Next I'll set the valve lash, install cams and avcs solenoids, then put in the spark plugs and start adding back on all the little pieces. I'm also debating what to do with the turbo. The engine came with a TD04HL which is supposedly a hair bigger than the USDM 02 WRX's TD04-13T. Both are considered too small for the EJ257 according to opinions on NASIOC. I am considering upgrading to a VF48 or similar sized turbo, but that's another $400-1000 (used or new) for a project that is already waayyyy over budget. I could upgrade the turbo at a later date, but that would require another re-tune. Thoughts?

#94 ·
Some more progress photos. Installed the intake manifold with IAG TGV deletes and a new OEM coolant tank. I debated using the metal one that came with the tank, but the o-ring that goes between the tank and lid isn't sold by its self, and the lid was starting to rust on the inside anyways. I also upgraded the injectors to STI dark blue 565cc ones. I painted the exhaust manifold with black and silver header paint. I'm still waiting on new buckets to set the valve clearance but they should be in tomorrow. I decided to replace the shim-on-bucket lifters with shimless ones for extra insurance.

@bue car @Ayanamieve I'm most likely going to upgrade the turbo to a VF48 Hi Flow, unless I can find a cheap used VF48 locally. Lots of them floating around, just gotta look out for the ones with wastegate cracks. Probably going to ditch the catted up-pipe for an aftermarket as well. At this point I feel like I should have just built this thing from scratch from the get go...

#96 ·
Well I finally figured out what was causing the shifting issues I was having. It turns out I put the shifter stay bushing washer on backwards. The spring retainer tab on the washer was interfering with the shift linkage during shifts.

Backwards:

Correct:

I actually had the entire engine out to diagnose the shifting issue thinking there may be some issue with the way that I installed the clutch originally. I suppose I should have checked the linkage first! :LOL: Now that the engine is out I figured I should just leave it out so I can prep the engine bay for the swap. I have an 04 STI crossmember on the way as well as a GD radiator and fans. I'll be gathering the other necessary parts in the coming weeks. I also have a VF48 Hi Flow on order, but its backordered until August :cry:

#99 ·
I see on both your motors you have light weight crank pulleys... seems to be no definitive answer as to whether these can possible damage our engines ( I have one on one of the cars- did much research before hand ) - obviously your in the no harm camp .

#100 ·
Yeah I ran lightweight crank, power steering, and alternator pullies on the EJ251 since 2014 with no ill effect. Just popped a P0420 every now and then, but it was probably O2 sensor related. I selected the Grimmspeed for the new engine because it is a little heavier than the Perrin. From the Grimmspeed product page:

Based on our analysis, the OEM crank pulley does not act as a harmonic damper found on for example traditional V8 engine dampers. The elastomer portion of the pulley helps dampen some noise from the engine accessories (ie. alternator, PS pump, and A/C compressor) but in our experience, the increase in this noise is in-perceivable.

#101 ·
Some prefer to buy the harmonic balanced one (aftermarket) for high HP builds just to be extra safe. Unless the pully is not balanced at all, you should be fine. Our motors are mechanically balanced with the offset piston layout. The OEM pully is not a harmonic one, although there is rubber for a dampening effect for a 'smooth' feel. Same with why most bushings are soft and all these companies want to sell you harder ones to 'upgrade' but you get more noise, harness and vibrations (NHV) in the car.

Long story short, I run pulleys on all my Subarus' (6)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.