Luke's BH9 Outback - EJ251 Turbo - Page 7 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Luke's BH9 Outback - EJ251 Turbo

Old 04-08-2019, 09:59 PM   #61
msequence
1.8L

Car: 2001, Impreza 2.5 RS
Fav Mod: Driver
Trader Rating: (0)

Awesome job so far man! Really enjoyed reading through this. Neat idea on the bumper beam modification too.
msequence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2019, 02:07 PM   #62
silverton
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: turrrrrbbbbooooo

The car's lambda sensor needs to be between the engine and the turbo, the wideband O2 needs to be between the turbo and the catalytic converter. I believe they say 12-18" behind the turbo will extend sensor life.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:53 PM   #63
LYH45
2.2L

Fav Mod: WRX 5 Spokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by George.of.the.Jungle View Post
good progress!
Quote:
Originally Posted by msequence View Post
Awesome job so far man! Really enjoyed reading through this. Neat idea on the bumper beam modification too.
Cheers guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by crjohnson View Post
Hey have you done any research into where the O2 sensor should be mounted? I think i found that for our cars (only 1 sensor), that is should be about 300mm after the turbo. Not in the up pipe?
I'm not sure about that tbh. Silverton answers it further down so I'll ask for clarification.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crjohnson View Post
Also how well did the down pipe in the outback? I'm still tack-welding mine up, slowly getting there..
I've only done a rough fit so far but didn't see any issues. I can't imagine there will be any as the downpipe will have more clearance to the firewall and everything around it due to the subframe spacers lowering the engine etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverton View Post
The car's lambda sensor needs to be between the engine and the turbo, the wideband O2 needs to be between the turbo and the catalytic converter. I believe they say 12-18" behind the turbo will extend sensor life.
So if I'm understanding this correctly the cars O2 sensor should be in the uppipe?? and if I do a wideband or a/f gauge that goes into the dump??

On another note I'm about to order the oil feed for the turbo and just wanted to see if anyone can confirm it's the right one. These are the ones I'm looking at.

MAMBA Turbo Oil Feed line Kit M10x1.25mm TD04 TD05 TD06 / 4AN Line 50cm | eBay
Turbo Oil Feed line Kit M10 x 1.25mm TD04 TD05 TD06 40" | eBay
Turbo Oil Feed line 4AN M10xP1.5 For SUBARU TF035HM TD04 TD05 1.5mm hole / 23" | eBay

Now the top one is the one I like the most, as it's shorter @50cm, where as the second one is 100cm but just wanted to check that 50cm is long enough. The last one would also be ideal as it's 70cm but my understanding is the the turbo banjo bolt is M10 x 1.25 and not M10 x 1.5.

Also all of these have a 1.5mm restrictor in the banjo bolt. Is that to big as I can't find the factory size.

If anyone can confirm any of this that would be great. If not I'll probably order the top one.

Cheers, Luke

Last edited by LYH45; 04-10-2019 at 11:56 PM..
LYH45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:51 AM   #64
silverton
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: turrrrrbbbbooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYH45 View Post
So if I'm understanding this correctly the cars O2 sensor should be in the uppipe?? and if I do a wideband or a/f gauge that goes into the dump??

Cheers, Luke
Yes. Cars O2 sensor needs to be after the 4 exhaust runners have merged together but before the turbo. wideband or a/f gauge sensor goes in the down pipe.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:50 PM   #65
crjohnson
2.0L

haha now the next question, which type of sensor does our outbacks have since they only have 1 sensor in the exhaust?

I believe its the A/F type, partsouq.com shows 2 from some reason.

Heres the parts I bought, will go into the front or rear gallery plugs.
Banjo with a 1mm restrictor, M10x1.5 thread which I may need to drill out to 1.5mm. I thick i had trouble (at the time) getting the bajo style i wanted with a 1.5mm hole.
4AN to M10x1.5 Turbo Oil Feed Banjo Bolt IHI RHF5HB VF23 VF36 1.0mm Restrictor | eBay

Hose - only paid about $55 though?
Aeroflow AF30-4003BLK -4an X 3Ft Black Braided Line With Fittings Included 9337206077262 | eBay

Last edited by crjohnson; 04-11-2019 at 08:07 PM..
crjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:29 PM   #66
LYH45
2.2L

So I ended up ordering the oil feed in the last link to we'll see how that goes. I didn't go home this weekend due to plans with the girlfriend and friends. The other reason is this. About 1 1/4 hours away some guy was giving this away from free. And the only thing better than cheap car parts are free one so of course I picked it up.

I needed a new tailgate as the current one had a brief encounter with a towball and didn't win. I'd originally has been after a red so I didn't have to paint the jam but this was free so I'll take it. It's not perfect but definitely fixable.

It has a bend up near the passenger side hinge and a ding near where the badging goes but I should be able to hammer out the bend. Image of bend and ding below.

It originally off a GT-B so it has the factory holes for the wing. I was being indecisive about running the wing so this has "forced" my hand. I'm glad I don't have to drill the holes tbh.

It also has this badge on it. It looks original and OEM but I don't know. I like it but I don't think I'll have it on the boot as the car isn't an STI or have any STI parts and I'm not a fan of pretending to have level of car that you don't have. I probably find a nice place in the interior for it.

I'll be back at my parents next Sunday/Monday so hopefully I can finish off the intercooler piping and mounting. As well as get the bumper to fit. It would also be great to install this. But I'll flatten out the dent before that.

Thanks for reading,
Luke
Old 04-14-2019, 02:04 AM   #67
FryphaX
Premium Member

Fav Mod: Registration!
Trader Rating: (4)

I mean the hatch has wing holes. Keep the badge.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:13 AM   #68
SoCoNoHa
2.7L

Fav Mod: Anything custom
Trader Rating: (1)

^Seconded. My clear tails came with a "Type RA" decal on the trim. My car is absolutely not an RA, but it looks cool.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:21 PM   #69
LYH45
2.2L

So more progress on the car. It may not seem like much but fitting a front mount is tedious work. I got there though. But more needs to happen.

First I finished the crash bar. I had to cut off more front the back and I cut some speed holes to allow for air flow through the main section of the crash bar.

Another angle to show how little is left.

Then with the FMIC fitted. I ended up cutting of 2 of the 8 threads for mounting the bar so the pipe could sit lower and not scratch through. You can see where the paint has scratched off due to not prepping the surface properly before paint. I'll be redoing that.

And the bumper roughly cut. It would be nice it the intercooler was slightly lower/bigger but that won't happen due to there being basically no intercooler sizes between 180mm and 300mm in the width I need and this car doesn't deserve a custom one.

Overall I'm happy with it. It not to in your face but it's still visible and adds flair to the front. I still need to make lower mounting brackets and I'll make them push the bottom lip of the bumper flush with the intercooler.

I'll be back home tomorrow afternoon so the plan is to finish up that and install the hatch. I have a lead on some early Gen 4 Spec B wheels for cheap so if I can pick them up then brakes and suspension will happen this weekend too.

Luke
Old 04-24-2019, 04:19 AM   #70
scruff3333
Premium Member

Fav Mod: broken motor
Trader Rating: (10)

Looks great. Like it belongs there.
Keep up the good work.