So this week the generic intercooler kit arrived, along with the turbo outlet and manifold inlet joins. Sadly the manifold inlet was the wrong size due to two mistakes, one I order it for the wrong size piping by mistake, and two being the internet lied to me and told me the inlet was 3" and not 2.75" (both really my fault but let's not dwell on that).
So this weekend I got to work on creating a piping route, and getting the car to run. Dad ended up getting a new O-ring for free at the local Subaru dealer so that fixed the fuel leak from the reg. So the cars running again. Still with a fuel issue but that's because all the fuel has been used up so that easy to fix.
The box of goodies. It doesn't look like much but I got me pretty close. It's just a generic 2.25" intercooler piping kit with black silicone joiners. It cost $100 posted so its a good starting point.
Lining up the first pieces so I could mark where to cut. You can tell I was nervous about this as I bothered to tape and check like 10 times. By the end I was doing it a bit more haphazardly.
Fortunately my dad had a metal saw that someone had left behind at his old job so I gladly made use of it. You can see some clean-up was required but it was better than using a grinder.
First pieces connected.
This is where the my weird concept came to into action. So with all of the front mounts on this chassis the piping goes real low. Like VL commodore spec. And usually they didn't have to deal with the outback fog lights, which would in this case make them lower. I don't like this as it would easily scrape and I like making my life a pain.
So this is the concept. Gut the lower crash bar and run the piping through.
It won't sit that low, and I'll make sure it not going to rattle but it's going to work and I'm stoked with that. This is only a proof of concept.
More on the cold side piping.
This is the start of the hot side. From the turbo is just a 2" to 2.25" elbow that I cut the 2" side short. This has also stolen the 45 degree pipe you can see above. Its on the order list with a few other things.
Another angle. I am worried about the fuel and ac lines touching but worse comes to worse I can just insulate them
More on the hot side. I notched the support that ties into the front and subframe to allow for the 90 degree bend to sit higher (shown in the next picture).
More hot side. The end on the left is meant to slide inside the crash bar, just haven't cut it yet.
As I was out of supplies (clamps, joins and a 45 degree piece) the last thing to do was the get the undertray to fit. This was pretty simple as only one thing was now in the way. You can see my rather reserved marking for cutting. Needed to be about 15mm lower.
Undertray all fitted up.
And one final pic of the "finished" product.
I still need to order some more parts, mainly a few joiners and a 45 degree pipe. This means I can now order the intercooler as I was holding out to see if crash bar plan would work.
What do people think about the piping colour. Natural (as is) black or red. Also any recommendations would be great.
That's it for the next fortnight as I won't be home next weekend so yeah, thanks for reading.