Luke's BH9 Outback - EJ251 Turbo - Page 6 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Luke's BH9 Outback - EJ251 Turbo

Old 03-15-2019, 11:13 PM   #51
LYH45
2.2L

Fav Mod: WRX 5 Spokes
Trader Rating: (0)

So while I'm not working on the car due to saving I decided to make a concept sketch with a smooth hood. Now I can't use Photoshop to save my life so I decided to just do a hand sketch. It's not the best but it conveys the look I wanted to see and I don't think it looks half bad.

I've drawn it with a mesh grill, front mount, an oilcooler/hella horns behind the grill and small lip on the bottom.

If you guys have any comments I'd love to hear them.

Luke
LYH45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2019, 04:58 AM   #52
LYH45
2.2L

So this week the generic intercooler kit arrived, along with the turbo outlet and manifold inlet joins. Sadly the manifold inlet was the wrong size due to two mistakes, one I order it for the wrong size piping by mistake, and two being the internet lied to me and told me the inlet was 3" and not 2.75" (both really my fault but let's not dwell on that).

So this weekend I got to work on creating a piping route, and getting the car to run. Dad ended up getting a new O-ring for free at the local Subaru dealer so that fixed the fuel leak from the reg. So the cars running again. Still with a fuel issue but that's because all the fuel has been used up so that easy to fix.

The box of goodies. It doesn't look like much but I got me pretty close. It's just a generic 2.25" intercooler piping kit with black silicone joiners. It cost $100 posted so its a good starting point.

Lining up the first pieces so I could mark where to cut. You can tell I was nervous about this as I bothered to tape and check like 10 times. By the end I was doing it a bit more haphazardly.

Fortunately my dad had a metal saw that someone had left behind at his old job so I gladly made use of it. You can see some clean-up was required but it was better than using a grinder.

First pieces connected.

This is where the my weird concept came to into action. So with all of the front mounts on this chassis the piping goes real low. Like VL commodore spec. And usually they didn't have to deal with the outback fog lights, which would in this case make them lower. I don't like this as it would easily scrape and I like making my life a pain.

So this is the concept. Gut the lower crash bar and run the piping through.

It won't sit that low, and I'll make sure it not going to rattle but it's going to work and I'm stoked with that. This is only a proof of concept.

More on the cold side piping.

This is the start of the hot side. From the turbo is just a 2" to 2.25" elbow that I cut the 2" side short. This has also stolen the 45 degree pipe you can see above. Its on the order list with a few other things.

Another angle. I am worried about the fuel and ac lines touching but worse comes to worse I can just insulate them

More on the hot side. I notched the support that ties into the front and subframe to allow for the 90 degree bend to sit higher (shown in the next picture).

More hot side. The end on the left is meant to slide inside the crash bar, just haven't cut it yet.

As I was out of supplies (clamps, joins and a 45 degree piece) the last thing to do was the get the undertray to fit. This was pretty simple as only one thing was now in the way. You can see my rather reserved marking for cutting. Needed to be about 15mm lower.

Undertray all fitted up.

And one final pic of the "finished" product.

I still need to order some more parts, mainly a few joiners and a 45 degree pipe. This means I can now order the intercooler as I was holding out to see if crash bar plan would work.

What do people think about the piping colour. Natural (as is) black or red. Also any recommendations would be great.

That's it for the next fortnight as I won't be home next weekend so yeah, thanks for reading.
Luke
Old 03-24-2019, 06:24 AM   #53
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

Fav Mod: BOOOOOOST!!
Trader Rating: (75)

looking good luke!
Old 03-24-2019, 07:54 AM   #54
scruff3333
Premium Member

Fav Mod: broken motor
Trader Rating: (10)

Nice progress.
Good job.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:26 PM   #55
SoCoNoHa
2.7L

Fav Mod: Anything custom
Trader Rating: (1)

Intercooler piping looks great. Personally I'd keep it as is, looks fresh. Are you using the stock ej251 injectors for now?
Old 03-24-2019, 04:38 PM   #56
crjohnson
2.0L

Have you got a link to the piping kit??

I was thinking of going under the radiator then up and have the intercooler ports on the the bottom. Now you've got me thinking haha
crjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:57 PM   #57
LYH45
2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by George.of.the.Jungle View Post
looking good luke!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruff3333 View Post
Nice progress.
Good job.
Thanks guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCoNoHa View Post
Intercooler piping looks great. Personally I'd keep it as is, looks fresh. Are you using the stock ej251 injectors for now?
Yeah that's the plan for now. I'm only planning on running 5-6 psi as I don't think the engine could take much more with the age and kilometres.
More and more I'm liking the silver. Will definitely need a polish though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crjohnson View Post
Have you got a link to the piping kit??
I was thinking of going under the radiator then up and have the intercooler ports on the the bottom. Now you've got me thinking haha
2.25" INCH 57MM ALUMINUM TURBO INTERCOOLER PIPING KIT UNIVERSAL PIPES +CLAMP | eBay
Here's the link. I got a discount due to a promo but it's still fairly priced.
That was my original plan too but I wasn't happy with making it the lowest point on the chassis. I also wanted to make is look as neat and factory as possible. Honestly I think it's the cleanest way to ever run a front mount.

Last night I ordered the rest of the silicon joins except the one for the throttle body. I went with red as it's about a 3rd of the price of getting black. And all the joins will be out of the engine bay anyway so I think it will work. Black for in the engine bay. Red for the outside the chassis.

When I did that the straight joiners I got are 2.25" to 2.5" reducer to the intercooler as it gives me more options and again, about a 3rd of the price of getting 2.25" straight.

Luke
Old 04-07-2019, 12:33 AM   #58
LYH45
2.2L

So back at it again. Had a bunch of parts arrive over the past week to help finish the intercooler piping as well as the intercooler too.

I also picked some Liberty (Legacy) suspension from about 20 minutes from my place for $300 ($215 USD) which was a score. They are Koni struts on kings low springs from a Gen 4 Wagon so I'll need to change the front tophats. The setup only has about 30,000km on it so they will work nicely. The bottom of the front struts has just been painted yellow that's seen better days so I'll repaint them in black which is what they were originally.

Collected parts

Started by connecting the throttle body to the rest of the piping. I'll be rotating the t-bolts so you wont see them at finally assembly.

Next was to hack the crashbar to shit, but with some elegance. Marking out the area to remove. This needed to be done as there's a gusset? behind it that needs to be gone. It was mirrored on the other side.

After cutting had happened. There was way to much time spent cleaning and grinding things that no one will ever see. But I wouldn't be able to live with it if I didn't. The other side was completed the next day.

First test fit with the intercooler. It looks a bit small but I didn't want it much lower. I'll be drilling some holes in the crash bar to allow for more air flow.

A photo showing the area cut out from below. I'll get some better photos one the crashbar is finished as it still needs more work done to it.

On to the last thing done on Saturday. The drivers side intercooler pipe routing.

To start Saturday I though I'd show a very sleepy and comfortable dog in the drivers seat.

Then I cut out the boxed in section on the other side. Basically a mirror of what's shown further up in the post. That was the last thing I did on the crashbar on the weekend as after that I took an angle grinder to thumb. Nothing to bad but enough to deter any other grinding work for the rest of the day.

Next I focused on getting the rest of the piping routed. The passenger side done. The red angle replaced the black as it'll be used for the turbo inlet.

The final result (as of Sunday afternoon). There's still plenty to do. Mainly the holes in the front of the crash bar for the more air, mounting the intercooler (as it's just sitting on the silicone joiners at the moment) and a little bit of notching for t-bolt clearance. Once done I'll paint it in either the satin black or underlay paint that I used for the wheel well. I'm thinking the latter as it'll hide imperfections better.

Also the crashbar is now a hell of a lot lighter. But that may be down to the fact I've removed a ton of the steel.

I did run the car with the piping connected all the way to the throttle body join (with it removed as I haven't cleaned out the pipes yet) and I couldn't feel any air which was weird. It may have been because the turbo isn't bolted down yet but even then I would think that you'd feel some air coming out. Oh well that will be fun to troubleshoot.

Anyway that's it for now.
Luke

Last edited by LYH45; 04-13-2019 at 09:14 PM..
Old 04-07-2019, 09:40 AM   #59
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

Fav Mod: BOOOOOOST!!
Trader Rating: (75)

good progress!
Old 04-08-2019, 06:32 PM   #60
crjohnson
2.0L

Hey have you done any research into where the O2 sensor should be mounted? I think i found that for our cars (only 1 sensor), that is should be about 300mm after the turbo. Not in the up pipe?

Also how well did the down pipe in the outback? I'm still tack-welding mine up, slowly getting there..
crjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote