Luke's BH9 Outback - EJ251 Turbo - Page 5 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Luke's BH9 Outback - EJ251 Turbo

Old 03-01-2019, 02:39 AM   #41
LYH45
2.0L

Fav Mod: WRX 5 Spokes
Trader Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjohnson View Post
ill be going front mount on mine, 450x300x76 and run the 2.5" pipes under the radiator support bar then up. Really hoping not to cut holes anywhere.. You?
I'll be cutting a fair bit of thin crap off the rear of the bumper support, thats about it i think
I was thinking of the same with going under the core support but I'm not entirely sure as it could scrape really easily without protection. I'm going to have a look at running the pipe inside the crash bar, if it's even possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCoNoHa View Post
Wow, I'll have to take a closer look at the rails on my ej251, compared to the older models your FPR sits WAAAY off the rail.
Yeah it was way off, the regulator sat where the turbine is.

Quote:
You should be good without flaring, I haven't had any leaks except for when I forgot to tighten a clamp.
Oh that's good. I wasn't happy with the routing of the hose, so I'll probably cut the piping further back, so the hose just travel in the shortest path.

On that note I traveled to the wreckers after work today as I left work early. I went to get some more fuel hose clamps (for the plan as mentioned above) and a radiator hose clamp. While I was there I grabbed an aluminium thermostat housing of an EJ22. It looks like it will bolt up no issue and a replacement carpet as the one in the car is grot.

While I was there I spotted a newly place 2007 Spec B H6 and I couldn't believe the size of the front rotors. I had been going back and fourth on putting the 4/2 WRX brakes on the car as I'd prefer them on the GF8 and don't want to buy another set. I was even considering Brembos on the outback. When I spotted these I knew the solution. 316mm rotor on the BH9 with stock on the back, allowing for the 4/2 pots to be donated to the GF8 in the long term. And if they're good enough for supergramps, they're good enough for this nugget.

I still can't get over the size of these. My hand for scale.

Scale with a 16 inch WRX 5 spoke. I don't think they'll fit under.

So that was a trip that was mean to cost like $5 that cost $150. I'm happy with these as they're huge, and also weight a ton. Only downside is they won't fit under the stock rims, so they won't be installed after engineering.

I won't be back working on the car till Sunday but that day should be enough time to re-install the manifold. I gone though the journal and re uploaded the images to a larger size as I didn't realise how small they were. I finally went and caught up on the cost tracking of the project and the total so far is $1357.5 spend out of my (unrealistic) budget of $5000 (or close)

That's all for now.

Luke

Last edited by LYH45; 03-01-2019 at 04:24 AM..
LYH45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2019, 02:06 PM   #42
SoCoNoHa
2.7L

Fav Mod: Anything custom
Trader Rating: (1)

Whoa whoa whoa. They make a Spec B H6? that sounds awesome! Is it available with the 6 speed??
Old 03-02-2019, 12:33 AM   #43
LYH45
2.0L

Quote:
Whoa whoa whoa. They make a Spec B H6? that sounds awesome! Is it available with the 6 speed??
6 speed and they make it in the wagon too. I almost bought one about 8 months ago but couldn't justify another car that didn't need work.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:03 AM   #44
LYH45
2.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjohnson View Post
ill be going front mount on mine, 450x300x76 and run the 2.5" pipes under the radiator support bar then up. Really hoping not to cut holes anywhere.. You?
I'll be cutting a fair bit of thin crap off the rear of the bumper support, thats about it i think
Sorry forgot to respond to this. Definitely not cutting holes anywhere on the chassis. I had a good look today and I really think its possible to run the intercooler pipe through the crash bar. How much of the crash bar will be left, will I guess I'll find out.

So I got back to my parents about mid afternoon on Saturday and got straight into it. First was changing the fuel hose path to something I was much happier with. All I did was cut the fuel line further back, just behind the bracket and tada. Ignore the lack of paint under the manifold, I missed it when painting and although it irks me not to paint it, you'll never see it anyway.

Everything except the drivers side (US passenger side) injector cover as you'll see later on.

As mentioned above the injector cover. I cut this to allow for more clearance for the turbo intake. Before and after.

Everything bolted back on, auxiliary belt back in place and a new age alternator cover. I still need to make a bracket for the power steering size of the cover. This is starting to look good (and not like an engine thats done 424,000 km) and best of all it ran with the turbo spinning and all.

Sunday morning I went into town to get some power steering fluid and when I went to fill it up I spotted this. Fuel dripping everywhere from the regulator.

I immediately knew what the culprit was as I noticed the O-ring was a tiny bit thin in one spot when putting it back together. I didn't realise it was this bad though. Shitty enlarged pic below.

As I didn't have any O-rings around I just blocked off the fuel and went on to something I can do. So I cutting the up-pipe bracket as the wouldn't bolt to the head, but it would to the transmission.

Then fitted it to the car. You can see the down-pipe sitting there as I can't do anything more with it until the turbo is bolted down.

And that's where it end for today. An image of today's victims, and fog light bolt and a midpipe bolt.

And I finally wrote a list of things to do as this is something I should have done a long time ago.

And that's it really. Dad's going to the mechanics to pick up the lawnmower and he'll grab a new O-ring for me there. I thing wrapping the exhaust and t-stat housing are next to tackle and well.... getting the car running again too I guess.

And although progress does seem slow, I'd like to think that quality and perfectionism that I'm putting into it is starting to show in the car.

Cheers, Luke
Old 03-03-2019, 08:19 AM   #45
silverton
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: turrrrrbbbbooooo

I don't have a picture of mine, but a bracket was made for my car utilizing the empty bolt hole on the back of the head, and the free stud hole on the up pipe that isn't used by the turbo gasket. Just some flat bar with a couple holes drilled in to it and a slight bend as it isn't a straight across shot between the holes. Solid progress! I'm enjoying seeing you tackle the same things I had to.

I'd also recommend stuffing some rags in those open holes so things don't fall in while you aren't looking.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:43 AM   #46
FryphaX
Premium Member

Fav Mod: Registration!
Trader Rating: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverton View Post
I don't have a picture of mine, but a bracket was made for my car utilizing the empty bolt hole on the back of the head, and the free stud hole on the up pipe that isn't used by the turbo gasket. Just some flat bar with a couple holes drilled in to it and a slight bend as it isn't a straight across shot between the holes. Solid progress! I'm enjoying seeing you tackle the same things I had to.

I'd also recommend stuffing some rags in those open holes so things don't fall in while you aren't looking.
I did the same thing. Just used some random bracket I had laying around and modified it to fit.

https://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/3391533-post318.html
Old 03-03-2019, 11:11 PM   #47
LYH45
2.0L

Quote:
I don't have a picture of mine, but a bracket was made for my car utilizing the empty bolt hole on the back of the head, and the free stud hole on the up pipe that isn't used by the turbo gasket. Just some flat bar with a couple holes drilled in to it and a slight bend as it isn't a straight across shot between the holes
Quote:
Originally Posted by FryphaX View Post
I did the same thing. Just used some random bracket I had laying around and modified it to fit.

https://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/3391533-post318.html
Good to know. I think what I have should work fine but if it doesn't its a simple solution
Quote:
Solid progress! I'm enjoying seeing you tackle the same things I had to.
Thanks. It can painful and sometimes I think "why didn't I just swap it" as it would have taken a lot of the headache out of it but where's the fun it that.
Quote:
Yeah might be a bit late. I'm pretty sure my PH2 driver ended up in there yesterday. It's no loss as I have to take the headers off to wrap it anyway but I'll do it in future as it wasn't my smartest move.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:29 AM   #48
LYH45
2.0L

So today I managed to get 3 items done off the list.

I started by wrapping the headers and up-pipe in eBay's finest (cheapest) heatwrap. At less than $1 a meter I can't complain.

It even came out looking semi-professional. It seemed like alright stuff tbh but I haven't used anything else to compare it to.

Next I cut off a part of the head that extruded out and made fitting the up-pipe a nightmare. Like you still have to lift the engine up (hence the brick on the jack) to fit it, but now you don't have to spend 30 minute twisting and turning it to get it in and out. Plus the up-pipe was hitting on that part of the head so it had to go.

You can see where it was cut at 45 degrees just behind the furthest away exhaust stud.

Next I replaced the T-stat housing with and aluminium one off a first gen Liberty (Legacy). I cleaned up the shit around where to hose attaches after the photo.

At least it's somewhat heat shielded now and the housing won't melt, just the hose.

And the finished product.

I also played around with the up-pipe bracket as it wasn't allowing the turbo to sit flat. I still have to grind a little more off but it's almost there.

Next is the intercooler piping and oil feed. They'll be a few weeks off as I'm not buying them until I reach a certain goal with my bank account. I just don't want to be putting my saving on hold too much for this project and life in general.

So that's all folks...
Luke
Old 03-10-2019, 11:14 AM   #49
silverton
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: turrrrrbbbbooooo

Is that hose touching the heat wrap? If so that won't work for long. Especially once you start boosting and having exhaust temps in the 1200F+ range.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:02 PM   #50
LYH45
2.0L

Quote:
Is that hose touching the heat wrap? If so that won't work for long. Especially once you start boosting and having exhaust temps in the 1200F+ range.
Yeah it's been discussed a few pages back. I finally found some silicon hoses that are for a outback/baja so hopefully they are available in black to avoid looking like shit. I'm thinking I might space the headers down using the flange off the old headers too, I'll just need to find some longer studs.