Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Luke's BH9 Outback - EJ251 Turbo

43K views 173 replies 13 participants last post by  scruff3333 
#1 · (Edited)
This is the story of my Rev D 2.5 manual 2003 Outback BH5. It has 423,000km and looks the part.

This car will take over daily duties from my GF8 so I can repair the rear end damage.

My parents bought this car second hand in roughly 2006 to replace an old Mazda 626 wagon. It had about 100,000-130,000km on it. Since them they've put another 300,000km on it. In the 13 years of ownership the only mechanical failure was the clutch at 300,000km. This car has had battles with several kangaroos and wombats and lived to see another day. It has hauled cows, sheep and alpacas and much more in the boot. It burns oil like a 2 stroke and it still won't die.

As it has reached 423,000km it has been retired into my hands.

Mod List

Engine
  • Twin Scroll Equal Length Headers (Unknown Brand)(Wrapped in Heatwrap Tape)
  • Twin Scroll to Single Up-pipe (Unknown Brand)(Wrapped in Heatwrap Tape)
  • 57mm (2.25 inch) Intercooler Piping
  • Front Mount (65mm x 180mm x 550mm)(2.5" x 7" x 21.5")
  • TD04 off a 2004 WRX Sedan (EJ205)(Using 5-6 PSI Wastegate)
  • New Age Alternator Cover
  • Custom 2.5" exhaust
Handling
  • Front Sway Bar off a GC8 WRX Wagon
  • Front Sway Bar off a GC8 WRX Wagon
  • 316mm 2 Pot Front Brakes off a 2007 Spec B H6 Wagon
  • Koni Front and Rear Adjustable Struts
  • Gen 4 GT Springs
  • B4 Rear Sway Bar
  • Liberty (Legacy) Rear Bumpstops
Internal
  • Black Leather Front Seats off a 2000 Liberty Sedan
  • Black Leather Rear Seats off a 2000 Outback Limited (Not Originally from that Car)
  • Leather Armrest off a 2000 Outback Limited
  • Leather Door Cards off a 2000 Outback Limited
  • Sony XAV-AX100 Head Unit
External
  • GT-B Legacy Hatch and Wing
  • Rev D Turbo Bonnet
  • Front and Rear Spats
  • JDM Legacy Center Garnish
  • Custom Outback Grill
  • OEM Rain Guards
Wheels
  • Advan RG1's 17x7.5 +45
  • Bridgestone RE003 235/45R17

Engine Management/Support
  • Project Lambda
  • Bosch 3 Bar Map Sensor
  • AEM Air/Fuel Gauge 30-4110
  • Aem Boost Gauge 30-4406
-------------------------------------------

Stock Options Equipped

Engine
  • EJ251
  • 5 Speed Manual Low Range Gearbox
Exterior
  • JDM Headlights
  • Front Fender Indicators
  • Clear Rear Indicators
  • AUDM Bumpers, Wheel Arches, Sideskirts and Door Panels (All slightly different from the USDM ones for reasons I guess)
-------------------------------------------

Components Replaced. Either as Listed Above or Due to bad Condition
  • Front Bumper
  • Front Seats
  • Rear Seats
  • Glove Box Cover- Radio Trim
  • Rear Cup Holders
  • Door Cards
  • Boot Scuff Panels
  • Spare Wheel Cover
  • Mirrors
  • Rear Tailgate
  • Tailgate Center Garnish
  • Drivers Fog Light
  • Subframe
  • Steering Rack
  • Radiator Cap
  • AC Tensioner
  • Drivers Sun Visor
  • Carpet

Luke :)

Attachments

See less See more
#107 · (Edited)
So I was gonna update this Tuesday night but due to the forum being down it's a bit late. So I'm writing the update for this car first as this will be a hell of a lot quicker than the other one will be.

So after the whole debacle with grill I picked up an outback grill for $29. I started to hack it up and I've started to cut and (plastic) weld it back together. Below is a photo of the three stages so far. Stock, center cut out and filed and welded.

Here's a photo of the Legacy (Liberty) grill vs the Outback one showing the different height.

Here it is placed on the car is its half done form. You can see they're way less of a gap. God the headlights need to be refinished.

Closer view. Most of the thick setback section has been cut so it's not so deep now.

Finally finished the intercooler piping. I still need clamps for the new piece but I'm going to see if I can get one or two joins welded to clean it up a bit and leave me with the clamps needed.

Another shot. I also replaced the radiator cap with one that had the sticker not ripped.

I've also realised that I haven't got many full photo shots of the car so here's two. Feat. my Impreza.

I also managed to pick up the exact radio I was after for this car second hand for $200 AU ($135 US). It's a Sony XAV-AX100 and it's in basically new condition. They're a super clean design that looks almost factory. It has Apple CarPlay, Bluetooth, Wireless Phone and Reversing camera, which is loads better than the current one which blows a fuse if you want to do anything other than play a cassette.

It came with the harness to attached to an 02 SF5 Forester which I think has the same connector as the Outback so hopefully it's plug and play.

I also went and spoke to the guy who'll be painting the car and he is thinking around mid January as it's generally about 45 degrees so it'll be super easy to paint/bake. That gives me a deadline to get it on the road by then.

Edit: I also forgot to add I did have it running with boost as I had to hold the un-clamped piece in place with my hand. I've also been thing of switching the seats to the AUDM/JDM Bugeye WRX wagon seats. Anyone got any input of leather seats vs cloth.

Thanks for reading,

#108 ·
I remember eyeballing that exact unit for my impreza! I like the cloth seats in my RS better than the leather seats in my GT. The GT is overall more comfortable, but the RS feels like it holds you better. Also, leather is slippery and cloth is not

#111 ·
Nah mate I don't. I just used the stock outlet with standard oil hose to the value cover but honestly I'm not the happiest about it. When/if I have the engine out again I'd want to change it to an AN fitting and braided hose at least.

On a quick note I pickup a T-Stat housing and thermostat off a EJ204 which has the front facing water pump. I'm weighing up whether to get a Gates or a GMB water pump. Anyone have any experience/preference with either? Or what gaskets/seals would I need to get?

#113 ·
Whoops haha. Yeah sorry long day. I kept the bottom outlet in the stock location but I rotated the top inlet 180 degree so it was facing towards the center of the firewall. With the outlet I just ran the hose around the back of the turbo as I didn't think it was much of an issue. I can get a photo of the top if needed but its pretty simple as it can only bolt up 2 ways once the outlet/inlet piece has been split.

#116 ·
So next update. I did buy the waterpump, but didn't get round to installing it due to leaving the thermostat and housing up in Sydney. I also sold the old front subframe to a guy who wants to do an LS swap in a wrx, I'm sceptical about it but don't care much as it's sold and gone.

I was at the wreckers and picked up a VA WRX boot lid badge. So that'll nicely replace the shitty standard one that has seen better days. Image with it sitting nicely in the half done grill.

I figured I'd show a photo of the plastic welding going on above. The dark outline is because I forgot to file the paint off.

So that's been kinda keeping me busy on the weekdays. Still working on it slowly but surely.

On the weekend I decided to install the radio. Sidekick making sure I'm doing it properly

Old stock unit. Not a bad item when working properly. This one wasn't though.

Installed in the recommended location. Not really happy with the fitment and the volume knob is in a bad position there.

About an hour with a saw and a file to do this on both sides.

Which allowed me to move it forward about 8mm to the next mounting holes.

I've tested the head unit and it works great. I've had to order an adapter to connect the antenna which arrived today and still need to figure out where to put the microphone. But such a worthwhile update to the car.

Where I'm hording my broken parts :'( There's a bonnet, two tailgates and a tow bar that are all junk now

After the radio install I added the missing clamps to the intercooler piping. Everything works and we have proper boost now. As it's got no BOV it has VL Commodore spec turbo flutter. I did try and upload a video to Imgur but I don't think it can be hosted. I figured I'd add an "aerial shot" of the engine bay now that it's all done (except for the air box and minor adjustments).

And I finally made a start on the dreaded air box. It doesn't look the greatest, definitely not up to Bad Obsession Motorsport standards but it's the first mock-up to see what I could actually fit there. And despite what it looks like there's a couple of hours work in this so far.

I finally have a lead on a exhaust so hopefully I can pick that up as it seems no one wants to sell exhausts for the B4's. There's a 50/50 chance I'll be home on the weekend. If I am there's plenty of things to do,

The list is:
Make airbox
Paint rear brakes and wheel wells
Remove front seats to clean them and carpet under,
Replace waterpump
Clearance heatshield against dump pipe
Find ECU no.
Adjust oil drain hose
Add mic and antenna adapter to radio
Replace lights in gauge cluster
Modify front and rear bumpers
Modify front crash bar (maybe)
Paint underside of bonnet
Finish grill
Figure out how to remove rear bump stops
and probably more that I've forgotten

If I'm not back there, then the list will have to wait. Despite what the list looks like, I'm starting to feel like I'm in the tail end of the project. All I need is an exhaust, wheels, and a tune and this thing is ready for the street (in theory). Of course there's also paint but that isn't essential to the car driving. So it feels kind weird. Also it feels like not much progress is happening because of the tiny little things that are being done that aren't of note, but they have to be done.

Anyway thanks for reading,

#118 · (Edited)
Dont worry about that list, just take it for a drive and upload a video! If you have any spare coin, I bought an AEM 30-0300 wideband gauge for $227 off carmods on ebay, bargain! works awesome too. AFR's look safe as with the 560cc injectors and project lambda software, now i need to pull my finger out and bolt the turbo on!

#119 ·
Dont worry about that list, just take it for a drive and upload a video!
I wish. I don't have any wheels that clear the brakes atm because of the spec b rotors otherwise I would.
If you have any spare coin, I bought an AEM 30-0300 wideband gauge for $227 off carmods on ebay, bargain! works awesome too.
Funnily enough I've had that gauge on my eBay wish list for a while. I'll hoepfully get one of those once I've got a set of wheels and bought the project lambda software. Definitely want one for tuning.
AFR's look safe as with the 560cc injectors and project lambda software, now i need to pull my finger out and bolt the turbo on!
Yeah you do. I can't be the only NA-T Outback in Australia. You should create a journal here as I'd be keen to see your progress and I'm sure other would too.

Did you have to adjust the fuel map table to keep it in a safe afr? (obviously excluding the scaling for the injectors)

#121 ·
Well that's good. Any chance that you can send a photo or the file across once I get project lambda to see what kind of changes have happened and that I should be doing to get my head around it?

Just a quick progress picture of the grill. Not bad for a cost of $47 so far.

I haven't ended up going home this weekend so I went to the local pick and payless (my other home away from home). I grabbed some liberty rear bump stops (I'll get a comparison photo next week to show why) and I managed to find a matching front pair of outback spats/mudguard (rears came on the car) which I haven't seen on many cars. It cost $14 so I'm completely bankrupt as it's such a huge expense. I also got a whole bunch of bumper clips and such, a window sill trim and a rear drivers tail light (I got that 2 weeks back though) for my GF8, and a replacement midpipe for my brother forester as it has a hole in it.

I've finally managed to track down a bolt on exhaust. It's not OEM but it looks like it won't be loud and it's not a cannon thank god. And funnily enough it's from the guy who I swapped the lowered springs for this car with. I'm hopefully getting that next weekend. It did come off a B4 sedan which means the tip will be a little shorter but it shouldn't be too bad.

I also ordered the fittings to tie off the breather hoses into the intake so that can get finished too.

I'll be back working on the car next Saturday and the Tuesday after so hopefully something will happen soon.

#125 ·
So I've been after a set of wheels for this car for a while and have come across some Advan RG1's (17x7.5)in gold for a decent price. I've always loved these wheels but haven't seen them for sale before.

I've done a quick Photoshop just to see what they'll look like. I like them but just want so feedback from others as well before I buy because it's a decent amount of money to spend.

So what do people think?

#131 ·
What model was the exhaust off? You seem to have so many more part available up there than down in melbourne..

You might have some rubbing issues on the front with those tyres, even my 225/50r17s will rub under hard cornering. Not too bad though. My front might be a fraction lower than yours too.

#132 ·
What model was the exhaust off? You seem to have so many more part available up there than down in melbourne..
It was off a Gen 3 B4 but I suspect that it had a custom dump pipe. Also because I'm using a GD dump pipe the length may vary.
Don't worry I've been struggling to find parts. You just have to find the right people. For example I got the exhaust off the same person I swapped the Kings springs for the GT ones. I got the sway bar of the same guy I got the bonnet off. If you're after anything in particular I can always try and get it for you and send it down.
You might have some rubbing issues on the front with those tyres, even my 225/50r17s will rub under hard cornering. Not too bad though. My front might be a fraction lower than yours too.
Thanks for the warning. A 235/45R17 ends up being about 20mm less in diameter than a 225/50R17 so it shouldn't be an issue.

#134 ·
I'm pretty sure they are the same world wide. The Gen 3's Liberty's were the first Subaru to use multi-link suspension in the rear, followed by the Gen 4 Liberty's and then the Gen 3 WRX/Impreza with it now being standard in all Subaru's.

The Bump stop is part of the factory lift which I'm planning on removing, with this being the first step.

#139 ·
Cheers man. It's gonna look way better than the stock one.
Hmm my 1999 was a strut. I think ours ran off the Impreza platform?
Was it USDM? If so that's 2nd gen.

Of course the 'outback sport' is an Impreza with some mods...
All 1st and 2nd gen 90's Subaru's used McPherson struts on the front and rear. The MY98 was a Gen 2 in Australia which means that a MY99 is a Gen 2 in the US as you guys are a year behind compared to AUDM and JDM cars.
Hey LYH45 are you able to measure the diameter of that B4 exhaust? I just measured mine and its only like 2" for most of the way. I replaced it a while and thought it was 60mm at the least, shattered to find out its smaller... The turbo want enjoy that!

EDIT: Pretty certain yours will be about 60.5mm OD.. Just found some info via partsouq and the middle donut gasket. (part# 44022AA123 or 44022AA122)
Yeah the stock XT flange and cat is 2.45 inches so I'm pretty sure the rest of it is 2.5 inches as it was very slightly larger.

So in other news the Advan RGI's have arrived today. They've had a hard life and have a few scratches and a bit of gutter rash but they'll clean up alright. And its not exactly going on a show car. I also just ordered some Bridgestone RE003's in 235/45R17 for a total fitted and balanced price of $576 AUD ($400 USD) which is super cheap. Sadly they wont be fitted until Monday so no drive this weekend.

I wasn't aiming for RE003's or even considering getting new tyres but they are the tyre of choice for Subaru's in Australia and given how cheap they are I'd be stupid not to.

But gent's, 9 months in we are getting close to a drive around the block. Of course with no alignment or tune or anything because that would be logical. When it gets to that I'll try and get some videos.

#138 · (Edited)
Hey LYH45 are you able to measure the diameter of that B4 exhaust? I just measured mine and its only like 2" for most of the way. I replaced it a while and thought it was 60mm at the least, shattered to find out its smaller... The turbo want enjoy that!

EDIT: Pretty certain yours will be about 60.5mm OD.. Just found some info via partsouq and the middle donut gasket. (part# 44022AA123 or 44022AA122)

#141 ·
So this weekend got a few more jobs buttoned up.

But the first thing I did was to test fit one of the wheels on the car. It looks weird as the tyres are so thin, hence why they are being replaced. The wheel doesn't have the full weight on it, so the fender gap is huge. But it clears the front brakes (spec B brakes) and sits pretty flush with the outside of the fender.

I swapped out the sway bar for a B4 Liberty 17mm (stock being 14mm). You can see the difference is size below.

Painted the last wheel well and brake caliper. I have a hunch that the rear brake pads installed are for the smaller style rotor and not the 294mm rears that are on the outback. I'll look into that further at some point.

I changed out the water pump for the front facing style. It was for an EJ204. It bolted straight in with no extra passages needing to be plugged. I meant to take a comparison photo but alas I didn't.

It would have taken all of 2 minutes more to change the timing belt while I was at it, but I didn't as this has like 30,000km left on it and didn't realise how easy it would have been to do on top of the water pump. With the tensioner a quick trick I found was to put a drill bit, or I my case pop rivet into where the pin goes before releasing tension. You'll only be able to get it through two of the three holes but it stops it realising fully, making it easier to re-compress.

When I first took tension off the timing belt and battery side cam moved slightly (like 3mm). I though I should try and move it back. Yeah don't do this. It snapped back about 10 degrees. Luckily I was moving it with the breaker bar to I managed to stop it before the valves hit anything. I assume that you can damage the engine doing this. Anyway I wasn't sure of if any damage was done so I was nervous starting it again. It was fine but the moral of the story is don't do what I did.

I also added new coolant and power steering fluid and replaced the turbo vacuum line. I wanted to bleed the brakes too but was pretty tired by the early afternoon on Sunday so I called it quits.

Today I dropped in and then pick up the wheels from getting new tyres. This really was a sight for sore eyes. I don't know what it is but it's so aesthetically pleasing seeing new tyres on wheels. As mentioned previously these are Bridgestone RE003 in 235/45/R17

There's still loads more to do but the list is getting shorter. The list of major things to buy is down to 2. That being Project Lambda (which I'm still scared off) and an AEM AFR gauge to help with tuning. Everything else is optional at this point.

I also updated the mod list on the first page.

Anyway thanks for reading

#142 ·
Nice progress man, she's coming along! Don't worry about your valves, my cams spin every time I touch my timing belt. Never had a problem. As long as your crank sprocket is lined up with the Mark I believe you're in the clear, hopefully somebody will correct if I'm wrong.

#144 ·
As long as the crank sprocket is on the timing mark the pistons are all halfway down the cylinders, zero chance of valves touching.
That's good news. I was shitting myself thinking I'd done the motor in.

Just a quick update. I'll have a further one in a few days but just wanted to upload picture with the wheels. I got the wheels on today and the car moved under it's own power for the first time (with boost).
The wheel fitment is great, and it should be even better once aligned.

I'm happy with the wheels and their size. 18's would have looked great too but I prefer the meaty tyre look.

I'm fighting a bit of a coolant issue but there may be air still in the system which would explain a lot. It's a bit smoky as the heat wrap still has to burn off. Also have an exhaust leak as there nothing plugging the O2 sensor bung in the down pipe.

I'm pretty stoked with this right now hence the update. I've gotten more done but will put that in an update when the weekend is over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.