Luke's BH9 Outback - EJ251 Turbo - Page 4 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Luke's BH9 Outback - EJ251 Turbo

Old 02-16-2019, 04:37 AM   #31
SoCoNoHa
2.7L

Fav Mod: Anything custom
Trader Rating: (1)

Ah yes, the old FPR in the way of the turbo... I think you can literally 180 the fuel rails and lines on the manifold, then you just have to extend your feed and return lines across the engine bay.

Personally, I found another set of fuel lines and stole the rail without the FPR, chopped the steel lines off a few cm from the rails and connected with extra fuel hose.

Here's a stock setup next to my parallel setup. Both are upside down. You can see how I was able to relocate the regulator out of the way.

Also, are those headers for a FB engine?!
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2019, 09:07 AM   #32
silverton
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: turrrrrbbbbooooo
Trader Rating: (0)

Interesting take on swapping the rails! That didn't even cross my mind. I cut the regulator off and used an aftermarket FPR.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:51 PM   #33
LYH45
2.2L

Fav Mod: WRX 5 Spokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCoNoHa View Post
Ah yes, the old FPR in the way of the turbo... I think you can literally 180 the fuel rails and lines on the manifold, then you just have to extend your feed and return lines across the engine bay.

Personally, I found another set of fuel lines and stole the rail without the FPR, chopped the steel lines off a few cm from the rails and connected with extra fuel hose.
Cheers for this info. I figured I wasn't the first person to have that problem. I do like the look of the the custom one. I'll see if I can bend the lines out of the way first, then rotated if that doesn't work but it's a good third solution.

Quote:
Also, are those headers for a FB engine?!
Nah, they're just aftermarket EJ ones. I don't even know of FA/FB ones would bolt up. A low mount turbo would be awesome though.

Today I didn't get much done. I was aiming to get the manifold of but I didn't have time as I had other plans. I get bleed the clutch and checked that it would engage by stalling the car and that was all fine.

So next weekend the target is to get the manifold off and the turbo fitted so I can start with oil and coolant hoses.

Luke
LYH45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:18 PM   #34
crjohnson
2.0L

damn those headers are close to the thermostat outlet. Not use if i mentioned but I also had some 10mm thick flanges laser cut to space my manifold 10mm out. It helped a fair bit.. Also how close to the sump are those pipes? Might need to put some wrap on the pipes?
crjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:18 PM   #35
SoCoNoHa
2.7L

Heat wrap the headers and the t-tstat outlet, an they can be touching. The radiator hose will deteriorate over time, I'd recommend a silicone one.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:49 AM   #36
LYH45
2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjohnson View Post
damn those headers are close to the thermostat outlet. Not use if i mentioned but I also had some 10mm thick flanges laser cut to space my manifold 10mm out. It helped a fair bit.. Also how close to the sump are those pipes? Might need to put some wrap on the pipes?
Yeah it's a lot closer than I'd like. I thought about spacers but I don't like the idea of them. Don't know why.
There was plenty of clearance, I could still fit my hand between the headers and the sump.

Quote:
Heat wrap the headers and the t-tstat outlet, an they can be touching. The radiator hose will deteriorate over time, I'd recommend a silicone one.
Yeah for sure. Before this car hits the road I'll be replacing the t-stat housing with a FB one, replacing the hose with a silicone one, and wrapping the header to the uppipe. That's still a while off though, but it will be done.

So this weekend was time to fit the turbo, and that meant dealing with the fuel regulator.

First things first the engine bay needed a clean. This was done as I loose sight of what I'm doing and feel terrible about the project if I feel like it looks terrible. So I showered everything with a can of de-greaser and then hosed it off to get the leaves and dirt out of the way.

Next was to remove the manifold. This was easy except for all the wiring that needed to be unplugged. And the plugs for the injector were being dicks.

One it was out I taped over the inlets to stop any dirt/water getting in there. You can see the grime that's built up over the past 424,000 km. I cleaned it up a bit later as that's just what I do.

So in a previous post SoCoNoHa suggested some great ideas, which I held as backups as I didn't like the idea of rotating it, and I'm to lazy to make my own right now. So I played around with bending location of the regulator a bit. I cut a mounting tab off and then pulled the regulator closer to the manifold, pushed it down, and rotated it so it sat under the turbo.

Modified item below

Doing this means that I have to loop a bit of fuel hose around. I might see it a can cut and flare it so the line doesn't have to loop. Any ways to flare it without the tool?? or do I even need to flare it or would the clamp hold it??

Before paint I cut off one of the injector cover plate mounting points to allow for more space around the turbo inlet.

Then I panted the manifold. Call me a ricer I like the red.

It's basically an STI now right? It's just placed there as I wanted to let it cure fully before handling it and mounting stuff. The downside to this is that I couldn't do anything else for the rest of the day. Oh well

I realised that I forgot to upload a photo of the turbo in place, but you can see it hiding in the last photo just behind the manifold. Next step is oil/coolant to the turbo, after reinstalling the manifold. Then inter-cooler piping.
I'm looking at 2.25 inch piping. Is that an okay size?, also do I leave the piping a metal finish with black silicone joiners or go red piping with red joiners. Decisions! Decisions!

That's all for now, if anyone has any suggestions with piping size/colour or any other aspects of the people I'd love to hear them.
Luke

Last edited by LYH45; 03-01-2019 at 02:13 AM..
Old 02-24-2019, 08:49 AM   #37
silverton
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: turrrrrbbbbooooo

If you're using a top mount intercooler, the only hose you're going to see when it's installed is the one to the throttle body which is about three inches long. A fabricator friend made the Y for my intercooler, the factory pieces won't work as the DOHC manifold's throttle is spaced differently.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:32 PM   #38
LYH45
2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverton View Post
If you're using a top mount intercooler, the only hose you're going to see when it's installed is the one to the throttle body which is about three inches long. A fabricator friend made the Y for my intercooler, the factory pieces won't work as the DOHC manifold's throttle is spaced differently.
I'm planning on going front mount, because I'm still not sure if I want a turbo or smooth bonnet, and I'd like a front mount. Also I like making my life as painful as possible as it's know to be a pain to install a front mount on these cars.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:09 PM   #39
crjohnson
2.0L

ill be going front mount on mine, 450x300x76 and run the 2.5" pipes under the radiator support bar then up. Really hoping not to cut holes anywhere.. You?
I'll be cutting a fair bit of thin crap off the rear of the bumper support, thats about it i think
crjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:26 PM   #40
SoCoNoHa
2.7L

Wow, I'll have to take a closer look at the rails on my ej251, compared to the older models your FPR sits WAAAY off the rail.

You should be good without flaring, I haven't had any leaks except for when I forgot to tighten a clamp.