Luke's BH9 Outback - EJ251 Turbo - Page 3 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Luke's BH9 Outback - EJ251 Turbo

Old 02-05-2019, 01:28 AM   #21
SoCoNoHa
2.7L

Fav Mod: Anything custom
Trader Rating: (1)

Dang dude, trial after trial! I understand your pain. There's nothing like that rage after the hood hits your head haha.

I was actually looking at scooped hoods for these yesterday. Found a couple Baja turbo hoods for like 880 bux... But you may have better luck than I. :

Nice progress, she's getting there!

Edit: my 2 cents, I've used the stock plastic t-stat housing with a turbo manifold for a while now with no issues. They ARE butted right up together but I've got some cheapo heat wrap on both pieces. The only thing is the stock radiator hose is starting to wear out. I'll be looking for a silicone replacement.

Last edited by SoCoNoHa; 02-05-2019 at 01:18 PM..
SoCoNoHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2019, 02:37 AM   #22
crjohnson
2.0L

Trader Rating: (0)

if you have trouble with the thermostat cover, check out if there's any FB25's motors at the wreckers. They have alloy thermo covers that bolt straight on, point on a slight angle but should be sweet with a little radiator hose tweak.

I put up some pics here: Alloy Thermostat housing - bottom entry style - General Discussion - Suby Club
crjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:41 AM   #23
LYH45
2.2L

Fav Mod: WRX 5 Spokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCoNoHa View Post
Dang dude, trial after trial! I understand your pain. There's nothing like that rage after the hood hits your head haha.

I was actually looking at scooped hoods for these yesterday. Found a couple Baja turbo hoods for like 880 bux... But you may have better luck than I. :

Nice progress, she's getting there!

Edit: my 2 cents, I've used the stock plastic t-stat housing with a turbo manifold for a while now with no issues. They ARE butted right up together but I've got some cheapo heat wrap on both pieces. The only thing is the stock radiator hose is starting to wear out. I'll be looking for a silicone replacement.
Thanks mate. Luckily enough we got the B4 Liberty (Legacy) in Australia so I've seen a few for about the $200-$300 AUD range. I have to get a new bonnet anyway but I'm still 50/50 on whether I have the hood scoop or not as I like both.

That's good news on the t-housing front. As the old manifold had no heat shield the only thing hitting was the flange. The new only should clear easy though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjohnson View Post
if you have trouble with the thermostat cover, check out if there's any FB25's motors at the wreckers. They have alloy thermo covers that bolt straight on, point on a slight angle but should be sweet with a little radiator hose tweak.

I put up some pics here: Alloy Thermostat housing - bottom entry style - General Discussion - Suby Club
Will do. Funnily enough I actually stumbled across your photos on subyclub today while on break. I was reading a thread about a TT swapped outback and was like that user name looks familiar. Then when I was on the home page I saw the photos.

As SoCoNoHa said above I should be able the run the plastic t-housing but this seems like a better long term solution and something I'll definitely do in the future.

Have you got a build thread of your car on there as I'd love to see more photos.
LYH45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:54 AM   #24
TerryJr
Experimenter

Fav Mod: AAA Premier

nice progress
Old 02-06-2019, 10:42 AM   #25
silverton
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: turrrrrbbbbooooo

I'm not sure how much bigger your engine bay is than a GC's but I tried to run a similarly shaped header and it would not fit with the radiator.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:11 PM   #26
LYH45
2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverton View Post
I'm not sure how much bigger your engine bay is than a GC's but I tried to run a similarly shaped header and it would not fit with the radiator.
I think there's a bigger gap as they had the EZ30's in them stock. So buy the logic that the EZ30's are tight in the GC/GF's but not in the BH's I can hope it would fit.

I'd measure the BH9 against my GF8 but I don't have access to the BH9 when I'm in Sydney
Old 02-07-2019, 01:01 PM   #27
crjohnson
2.0L

This is my build, but i haven't really updated it much over the years..

Gen 3 Outback - now on liberty struts.. - Builds and Projects - Suby Club
crjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:46 AM   #28
LYH45
2.2L

So quick update and junkyard finds.

The headers arrived on thursday, a week earlier than expected which is awesome, not that I can install them. And today I picked up a replacement dump pipe one the way back from getting a new door for the GF8. I only had half of one because I'm an idiot.

And on the way back I stopped in at Pick 'n' Payless, the local pick and pull yard. I've had great finds hear before and today was no exception.

I managed to get a genuine Legacy GT-B wing for $55 which is a steal. Paint is shit (its the wrong colour anyway) and I think its missing the two brake light screw covers (I don't know if they ever had them). I'd been on the fence about getting one when I saw a rep for $125 locally. So this was a no brainer at that price.

Bottom photo showing the excellent paint job.

So that's for now. I'll be back working on it next week, hopefully getting the engine started.

Luke

Last edited by LYH45; 03-01-2019 at 02:07 AM..
Old 02-09-2019, 12:57 PM   #29
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

Fav Mod: BOOOOOOST!!
Trader Rating: (75)

so much awesomeness at your junkyards.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:56 PM   #30
LYH45
2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by George.of.the.Jungle View Post
so much awesomeness at your junkyards.
Yeah I've been lucky a few times. Sadly there's times I've had to leave stuff as I didn't have the tools or I didn't have a use for. I've come across alloy control arms, V1-V3 GC8 WRX bonnet, plenty of nice catbacks and axleback exhausts, WRX front and rear seats. This is all at the same pick and pull too. It helps to know what the good parts are too.

So after a two week break, I'm back. I'm glad I did take the break as my arm is still bruised from the bonnet incident. If it was a steel bonnet as opposed to an aluminum one things would have been worse.

So this is what I returned to. A very dusty, and very sad looking outback. You can see my trusty steed, the GF8 to the side with her shiny new door.

So the first thing I started to work on was installing the headers. Fortunately these ones fit. They take a bit of wiggling to get in place as they're aftermarket, and probably eBay.

As you can see plenty of clearence with the thermostat housing. I thing the FB25 housing in order before this becomes the daily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverton View Post
As I suspected the engine bay is slightly longer, and even though the headers are slightly different, I don't think they would fit in a GC/GF

Next was the get all the accessories bolted back on. I had removed the radiator for ease of work earlier in the day. It's looking relatively clean too which I'm happy about. I don't want show car clean, but I'd like it to not look like a 420,000 km engine.

Next was to fill it with oil, only the cheapest stuff for this nugget. I'll probably put a better oil in it before engineering and registration. As you can see my custom oil funnel, no more spillage.

Next was to install the battery to test that I've put it back together properly. And by battery I mean jumper cables to the GF8. I first tested it with the fuel pump fuse remove to get some oil around it and because I was nervous about it all.

Once that test went fine, I put the fuse back in. It took a little while for fuel to circulate again but once it didn't It starts no problem. I originally had the accelerator cable to tight so I had to adjust that so it didn't redline.

Next was to install the uppipe. This was a pain and I had to lift the engine up to get it in place. This was done with a car jack and a brick.

I can't seem to get the turbo in place as the fuel lines are in the way. If anyone knows the trick to this, I'd love to know, otherwise it's tomorrows project.

Radiator back in. I've managed the lose a hose clamp on the lower tube so another trip to the wreckers is in order soon.

So with getting the turbo to fit, I think I may end have to remove the manifold. If that's the case I paint it while its out. I'd love to paint it white, but you can get it as wrinkle paint and I don't think I could live with the finish so either red or black it is. Probably red.

So in review, I got the headers installed the the engine started. I still don't know it the clutch still works as I don't have any fluid for it. If I end up going for wrinkle paint tomorrow, I'll get some and test that next.

That's it's for today, so cheers
Luke

Last edited by LYH45; 03-01-2019 at 02:10 AM..