Well as we all know with working on cars, some days everything goes right, and other it doesn't. This weekend a few think went wrong and it just makes you feel like shit. But that's working of cars, or any project to be honest.
So when researching for images of an outback with a turbo hood I found this image, and it pretty much shows the end goal/looks/stance for this project. Don't know whether to go with a turbo hood though.
(VIC) Subaru Gen3 Outback, Bilsteins, BBS's, Leather, Twin Sunroof etc.
So progress this weekend was alright but I wish I got more done. I started with getting the rest of the stuff back in the engine bay like the cruise control unit and such.
Then was the fun of the power steering. As you can see below the ports between the Outback and the WRX are slightly different. To fix this I just bent the top hose as it was pretty malleable.
I also managed to pick up another piece of the turbo puzzle. A TD04. I already had a seized one that I got for $20 but the shaft broke so I got another. The bonus is that I now have a waste-gate for the 5-6 psi range and the 7-8 psi range as they changed from one to another in about 2004-2005.
Later I found that the TD04 was the only useful piece in this photo
Seized turbo on the left with the 5-6 psi waste-gate
Next I went to fit the headers to the engine and they wouldn't fix. I had ignored the part about the water pump outlet being in the way as I didn't want to deal with it. I was pretty annoyed with myself on that as it was stupid of me to do.
Then I found I couldn't even fix the up-pipe because of the cat hitting the back of the head. This was really annoying.
Then up-pipe broke at the flex joint. I was over it all at this point and it was 37 degrees which didn't help.
So I decided to get the engine back in the car and then call it for the day.
It needs a good clean but before I got the chance it started to rain so that was the end of the work for the weekend.
So to sum up the weekend, I got none of the exhaust fitted, some of it broke, I didn't achieve my goal of getting the engine started, I was tired as shit, and to finish up I managed to have the bonnet fall on my head. The drive home was a pretty solemn one.
On Monday I decided the solution to my problem was to throw money at it. Kidding, but I was looking for a new up-pipe and found a set of Equal length, sort of twin scroll headers and matching up-pipe that should clear the water pump and the head. So I parted ways with $250 of my Australian dollarydoos and it was mine. Should arrive sometime next week.
Being that this will arrive next week and that I haven't taken a weekend off from working on the car this year I'm not going to work on it this weekend. I need a break and its a good chance to get some other parts like a dump pipe and maybe a new door for the GF8 as one is dinged.
So that's all for a little while, hopefully next time I update this the engine will be running, who knows.