Luke's BH9 Outback - EJ251 Turbo - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Luke's BH9 Outback - EJ251 Turbo

Old 01-24-2019, 01:40 AM   #11
LYH45
2.2L

Fav Mod: WRX 5 Spokes
Trader Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjohnson View Post
so i doubt it would handle much boost at all without running lean.
I figured that to be the case. I've been looking into rrfpr and voltage clamps as they seem to be what a lot of people are running on the Facebook NA-T groups.

I had a quick look at the Project Lambda website and to my understanding its a ECU reflash project. How hard is it to run.
LYH45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2019, 06:50 AM   #12
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

Fav Mod: BOOOOOOST!!
Trader Rating: (75)

my knowledge is of the older maf based cars, im basically useless when it comes to throwing boost at the newer engines. :/
Old 01-24-2019, 01:45 PM   #13
crjohnson
2.0L

The project lambda stuff is easy to setup and get running. But learning how the software works is what takes a lot of time (like any other tuning software though). I have had it for a while and still have hardly any idea of what does what.. access to a dyno would help a lot!

For the basic upgrading of the MAP sensor and injectors though, it looks easy.. I'm about to install the blue 550cc injectors and check the settings, plus check it with a proper O2 sensor. Fingers crossed
crjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:32 AM   #14
LYH45
2.2L

crjohnson I'm seriously considering Project Lambda now. Engine management seems like a good idea haha.

So last weekend I started by stripping the front bumper, crash bar off and fenders. There was one missing and one rounded bolt on the crash bar, and one of the fender bolts on the pinch weld broke but nothing major.

I found a little more damage from the wombat that hit the drivers side but it was only the small brackets and nothing a hammer couldn't fix.

Next I removed the brake booster and lines. I was expecting this to be a nightmare but it was pretty easy once I realised that the brake lines weren't connected to the booster. You can also see to ac condenser moved out of the core support for access.

I then proceed to wet sand it all with 320 grit. That was last weekend consumed.

During the week I decided to modify the crash support bar to allow for a front mount. Unknown to me at the time was that I was basically turning in into the Legacy/Liberty version which was thinner.

The was just achieved with an angle grinder and a spot weld drill. Only grinding the stitch welds and whats shown in the second photo.

Today (friday) I did a half-day at work and then traveled to my parents for the Australia Day long weekend. My aim for today was to clean with wax and grease remover, and mask of everything for painting.

Everything clean and masked for paint. I finished this at about 3:30-4ish in the afternoon.

When this was done it was 38 degrees and it was a dry heat so I decided to paint. I used an acrylic satin black and the end result looks great. All for less than $35 too.

Masking removed and closer photos.

The results turned out better than expected. The plan for the weekend is to install the WRX sub-frame and steering rack, and slowing reinstall everything else.

Thanks for reading, Luke

Last edited by LYH45; 03-01-2019 at 01:59 AM..
Old 01-26-2019, 05:48 AM   #15
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

Fav Mod: BOOOOOOST!!
Trader Rating: (75)

fantastic update. engine bay looks great!
Old 01-27-2019, 03:52 AM   #16
crjohnson
2.0L

nice work!

You can download the project lambda software for free, have a look and see what you think
Old 01-28-2019, 02:17 AM   #17
LYH45
2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by George.of.the.Jungle View Post
fantastic update. engine bay looks great!
Quote:
nice work!
Cheers guys, I've had a bad experience with cars and rattle cans before so it was nice that nothing went wrong.

Quote:
You can download the project lambda software for free, have a look and see what you think
I was just doing that before writing this. They don't have a basemap for 2003 but they do for the year before so I think that will work.

Well here's what it looked like at the end of the next day. Nothing to exciting but its getting there. All the wiring and brake lines in place as well as a few other things.

To clear the incoming front mount I flipped the temp sensor on the bracket. No cutting required.

Before replacing the sub-frame I got some rubberised underliner to redo the wheel wells. I'll do more coats when I replace the brakes and suspension. Before and after.

Subframe in. This was fun as I couldn't get to to balance on the jack.

When I went to bolt the swaybar link on to the control arm I noticed that I couldn't steer at all. Turns out it was upside down. No idea why???

The other fender and crash bar back on. The crash bar will be getting painted, I just was to get the intercooler fitted first so I don't have to paint it multiple times.

Bumper back on. Taken from the same angle somehow.

Front end back together. It's a bit disheartening when it looks like this when you've put so much work into it.

Replaced fog light. It took the brunt of collision with wombat and the bracket is bent to shit. It also has a hole in it so a new one was in order.

And what it looks like at the end of the weekend. This makes it all worth it and, although I'm biased I think it looks great.

This was how it was left on Sunday and nothing else was really done on Monday (public holiday) except for measuring for the front mount and working out how to route the piping.

Next step is to get the engine back in. I'm planning on getting it running as stock first so I can troubleshoot anything that isn't working before adding the complexity of a turbo.

That's all for now, so thanks for reading
Luke

Last edited by LYH45; 03-01-2019 at 02:03 AM..
Old 01-28-2019, 01:49 PM   #18
crjohnson
2.0L

Do you have a pic of your ECU? There's a fair chance it'll be the same as mine which the 2002 map in Project Lambda was created for.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:23 AM   #19
LYH45
2.2L

I don't have one currently. I'll try and grab a photo tomorrow. If it isn't I should be able to swap it for a 2002 ECU anyway.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:01 AM   #20
LYH45
2.2L

Well as we all know with working on cars, some days everything goes right, and other it doesn't. This weekend a few think went wrong and it just makes you feel like shit. But that's working of cars, or any project to be honest.

So when researching for images of an outback with a turbo hood I found this image, and it pretty much shows the end goal/looks/stance for this project. Don't know whether to go with a turbo hood though.

Image source:
(VIC) Subaru Gen3 Outback, Bilsteins, BBS's, Leather, Twin Sunroof etc.

So progress this weekend was alright but I wish I got more done. I started with getting the rest of the stuff back in the engine bay like the cruise control unit and such.

Then was the fun of the power steering. As you can see below the ports between the Outback and the WRX are slightly different. To fix this I just bent the top hose as it was pretty malleable.

I also managed to pick up another piece of the turbo puzzle. A TD04. I already had a seized one that I got for $20 but the shaft broke so I got another. The bonus is that I now have a waste-gate for the 5-6 psi range and the 7-8 psi range as they changed from one to another in about 2004-2005.

Later I found that the TD04 was the only useful piece in this photo

Seized turbo on the left with the 5-6 psi waste-gate

Next I went to fit the headers to the engine and they wouldn't fix. I had ignored the part about the water pump outlet being in the way as I didn't want to deal with it. I was pretty annoyed with myself on that as it was stupid of me to do.

Then I found I couldn't even fix the up-pipe because of the cat hitting the back of the head. This was really annoying.

Then up-pipe broke at the flex joint. I was over it all at this point and it was 37 degrees which didn't help.

So I decided to get the engine back in the car and then call it for the day.

It needs a good clean but before I got the chance it started to rain so that was the end of the work for the weekend.

So to sum up the weekend, I got none of the exhaust fitted, some of it broke, I didn't achieve my goal of getting the engine started, I was tired as shit, and to finish up I managed to have the bonnet fall on my head. The drive home was a pretty solemn one.

On Monday I decided the solution to my problem was to throw money at it. Kidding, but I was looking for a new up-pipe and found a set of Equal length, sort of twin scroll headers and matching up-pipe that should clear the water pump and the head. So I parted ways with $250 of my Australian dollarydoos and it was mine. Should arrive sometime next week.

Being that this will arrive next week and that I haven't taken a weekend off from working on the car this year I'm not going to work on it this weekend. I need a break and its a good chance to get some other parts like a dump pipe and maybe a new door for the GF8 as one is dinged.

So that's all for a little while, hopefully next time I update this the engine will be running, who knows.

Luke

Last edited by LYH45; 03-01-2019 at 02:06 AM..