Luke's BH9 Outback - EJ251 Turbo - Page 15 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Luke's BH9 Outback - EJ251 Turbo

Old 09-16-2019, 04:34 AM   #141
LYH45
2.2L

Fav Mod: WRX 5 Spokes
Trader Rating: (0)

So this weekend got a few more jobs buttoned up.

But the first thing I did was to test fit one of the wheels on the car. It looks weird as the tyres are so thin, hence why they are being replaced. The wheel doesn't have the full weight on it, so the fender gap is huge. But it clears the front brakes (spec B brakes) and sits pretty flush with the outside of the fender.

I swapped out the sway bar for a B4 Liberty 17mm (stock being 14mm). You can see the difference is size below.

Painted the last wheel well and brake caliper. I have a hunch that the rear brake pads installed are for the smaller style rotor and not the 294mm rears that are on the outback. I'll look into that further at some point.

I changed out the water pump for the front facing style. It was for an EJ204. It bolted straight in with no extra passages needing to be plugged. I meant to take a comparison photo but alas I didn't.

It would have taken all of 2 minutes more to change the timing belt while I was at it, but I didn't as this has like 30,000km left on it and didn't realise how easy it would have been to do on top of the water pump. With the tensioner a quick trick I found was to put a drill bit, or I my case pop rivet into where the pin goes before releasing tension. You'll only be able to get it through two of the three holes but it stops it realising fully, making it easier to re-compress.

When I first took tension off the timing belt and battery side cam moved slightly (like 3mm). I though I should try and move it back. Yeah don't do this. It snapped back about 10 degrees. Luckily I was moving it with the breaker bar to I managed to stop it before the valves hit anything. I assume that you can damage the engine doing this. Anyway I wasn't sure of if any damage was done so I was nervous starting it again. It was fine but the moral of the story is don't do what I did.

I also added new coolant and power steering fluid and replaced the turbo vacuum line. I wanted to bleed the brakes too but was pretty tired by the early afternoon on Sunday so I called it quits.

Today I dropped in and then pick up the wheels from getting new tyres. This really was a sight for sore eyes. I don't know what it is but it's so aesthetically pleasing seeing new tyres on wheels. As mentioned previously these are Bridgestone RE003 in 235/45/R17

There's still loads more to do but the list is getting shorter. The list of major things to buy is down to 2. That being Project Lambda (which I'm still scared off) and an AEM AFR gauge to help with tuning. Everything else is optional at this point.

I also updated the mod list on the first page.

Anyway thanks for reading
Luke
LYH45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2019, 09:24 AM   #142
SoCoNoHa
2.7L

Fav Mod: Anything custom
Trader Rating: (1)

Nice progress man, she's coming along! Don't worry about your valves, my cams spin every time I touch my timing belt. Never had a problem. As long as your crank sprocket is lined up with the Mark I believe you're in the clear, hopefully somebody will correct if I'm wrong.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:43 AM   #143
silverton
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: turrrrrbbbbooooo

As long as the crank sprocket is on the timing mark the pistons are all halfway down the cylinders, zero chance of valves touching.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:04 AM   #144
LYH45
2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCoNoHa View Post
Nice progress man, she's coming along! Don't worry about your valves, my cams spin every time I touch my timing belt. Never had a problem. As long as your crank sprocket is lined up with the Mark I believe you're in the clear, hopefully somebody will correct if I'm wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverton View Post
As long as the crank sprocket is on the timing mark the pistons are all halfway down the cylinders, zero chance of valves touching.
That's good news. I was shitting myself thinking I'd done the motor in.

Just a quick update. I'll have a further one in a few days but just wanted to upload picture with the wheels. I got the wheels on today and the car moved under it's own power for the first time (with boost).
The wheel fitment is great, and it should be even better once aligned.

I'm happy with the wheels and their size. 18's would have looked great too but I prefer the meaty tyre look.

I'm fighting a bit of a coolant issue but there may be air still in the system which would explain a lot. It's a bit smoky as the heat wrap still has to burn off. Also have an exhaust leak as there nothing plugging the O2 sensor bung in the down pipe.

I'm pretty stoked with this right now hence the update. I've gotten more done but will put that in an update when the weekend is over.

Luke
Old 09-21-2019, 03:34 AM   #145
SoCoNoHa
2.7L

Fav Mod: Anything custom
Trader Rating: (1)

Here in the states, auto parts store typically carry spark plug non-fowlers. It's basically a spacer and you can either weld it closed or nut and bolt through it to make a plug. The correct one will thread into your O2 bung and make a nice cheap plug. Might be worth a look.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:58 AM   #146
LYH45
2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCoNoHa View Post
Here in the states, auto parts store typically carry spark plug non-fowlers. It's basically a spacer and you can either weld it closed or nut and bolt through it to make a plug. The correct one will thread into your O2 bung and make a nice cheap plug. Might be worth a look.
Thanks for the info. I can get a plug pretty cheap but I want to put an AFR sensor in there to help with tuning and I'm planning on getting that pretty soon. I've just been procrastinating with actually buying it haha.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:04 AM   #147
LYH45
2.2L

So here's the rest of the update as I got a ton of things done this weekend.

Warning to others. Don't tighten down you lug nuts fully without wheels as this will happen. I killed 7 doing this which was luckily the amount of spares I had.

Next is another glamour shot I guess you could call it.

Finally got round to installing the JDM Legacy rear garnish. The light wiring was different so I used the Outback harness. I'll need a blanking plug as the JDM harness has four lights and the Outback only has three.

I got around to installing the rest of the head unit stuff. The antenna adapter was easy. I wanted a clean install for the mic so this was my solution. Drill a hole in a blank switch slot. Push mic in. Secure in the back with hot glue.

You can see it near the indicator stalk. I don't think its obvious and seems to work as testing so far indicates.

That was Saturday. Below is Sunday's work. First I went through and removed everything from the car that wasn't bolted down as a lot of shit has accumulated over the past 9 months. I sorted it all out later and only about 20% went back into the car.

Next was to replace the smaller boot panel as the old one has old on it. There seems to be slight differences between Liberty's (above) and Outback's (below). I knife fixed this up quick.

Next I decided to pull up the carpet and replace it as it was disgusting. Which lead me to the ECU

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjohnson View Post
Do you have a pic of your ECU? There's a fair chance it'll be the same as mine which the 2002 map in Project Lambda was created for.
It only took me 9 months but I finally have a picture. Can you confirm if it's the same as yours if possible.

Comparison of the carpets. The image doesn't convey how bad the old (right) carpet was.

Only issue with my $20 replacement carpet was a small hole near the dead pedal. I did my best to patch with some of the old carpet. It doesn't look the best this close but you can't see the patch with the carpet installed.

New carpet installed. There's also a new glove box cover and drivers side B pillar cover installed, which like the carpet I've had laying around for a while now.

The rest of the interior is back in now and a lot less stuff is now stored in the car compared to the start of the day.

Here's a final shoot with my $13 sun reflector. Pretty good eBay purchase tbh.

There's always going to be more to do but list of things to do is getting shorter by the day. I haven't had much time to look at project Lambda and get my head around it yet but that's the next task. Any suggestions on good resources with learning to tune and stuff as I'm super lost when it comes to it all?

On a quick note I should be looking at a Subaru Brumby (Brat) tomorrow on my parents behalf so that should be cool to add to the collection. And of course it's got stupid high kilometers.

Anyway thanks for reading.
Luke
Old 09-22-2019, 12:38 PM   #148
bue car

Fav Mod: Which car?
Trader Rating: (174)

My question is why are we tightening the lugs with no wheels period? Like a couple spins and move on lol
Old 09-22-2019, 03:27 PM   #149
crjohnson
2.0L

hey mate car is sitting nice, i need that suspension setup!

That ECU sticker is the same as mine but I had to take the cover off and look at the actual chip inside. There will be a chip starting with "WA...."
Mine was a "WA12212920WW", other chips that are supported end with 940WW and 930WW, but there might even be more now days.

How did it sound with that exhaust? I found a BE5 rear muffler on ebay last week (the type that had the bi-modal valve thing), $95 delivered! Had to modify the hangers a bit to get it to sit right then extend the tip as it was about 120mm short. Plus the flange on it necks down to 2", rest of the piping is 60mm.

Last edited by crjohnson; 09-22-2019 at 03:44 PM..
crjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:02 PM   #150
LYH45
2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by bue car View Post
My question is why are we tightening the lugs with no wheels period? Like a couple spins and move on lol
Cause I'm an idiot. I did it to hold the rotor on properly for when I was testing the clutch/gearbox/drivetrain.

Quote:
hey mate car is sitting nice, i need that suspension setup!
It's a Gen 4 Liberty setup with the front top hats swapped to Gen 3. Koni struts with GT springs. I'd assumed that you don't need the koni struts to get the stance
Quote:
That ECU sticker is the same as mine but I had to take the cover off and look at the actual chip inside. There will be a chip starting with "WA...."
Mine was a "WA12212920WW", other chips that are supported end with 940WW and 930WW, but there might even be more now days.
Next time I'm home I'll take the cover off to confirm if it has the same number. I'd think so as they are both Rev D cars
Quote:
How did it sound with that exhaust? I found a BE5 rear muffler on ebay last week (the type that had the bi-modal valve thing), $95 delivered! Had to modify the hangers a bit to get it to sit right then extend the tip as it was about 120mm short. Plus the flange on it necks down to 2", rest of the piping is 60mm.
Wow that's way cheap. It sounded pretty good but it's still louder than it'll be later due to the unplugged O2 bung. It doesn't have the full iconic Subaru rumble due to the ELH but still has a slight grumble to it. I'll upload a drive-by video next when I get the chance to film one