Luke's BH9 Outback - EJ251 Turbo - Page 12 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Luke's BH9 Outback - EJ251 Turbo

Old 08-19-2019, 01:19 AM   #111
LYH45
2.2L

Fav Mod: WRX 5 Spokes
Trader Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjohnson View Post
hey mate do you have a pic of the bottom coolant fitting on your turbo? Just wondering where it points to, I'm trying to figure out what to do with mine (possibly cut, rotate and reweld)
Nah mate I don't. I just used the stock outlet with standard oil hose to the value cover but honestly I'm not the happiest about it. When/if I have the engine out again I'd want to change it to an AN fitting and braided hose at least.

On a quick note I pickup a T-Stat housing and thermostat off a EJ204 which has the front facing water pump. I'm weighing up whether to get a Gates or a GMB water pump. Anyone have any experience/preference with either? Or what gaskets/seals would I need to get?
LYH45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2019, 04:00 AM   #112
crjohnson
2.0L

Are you possibly talking about your oil drain there?
crjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:11 AM   #113
LYH45
2.2L

Quote:
Are you possibly talking about your oil drain there?
Whoops haha. Yeah sorry long day. I kept the bottom outlet in the stock location but I rotated the top inlet 180 degree so it was facing towards the center of the firewall. With the outlet I just ran the hose around the back of the turbo as I didn't think it was much of an issue. I can get a photo of the top if needed but its pretty simple as it can only bolt up 2 ways once the outlet/inlet piece has been split.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:54 PM   #114
crjohnson
2.0L

haha no worries, don't stress about a pic, thats basically what i was thinking of doing but wasn't sure if it might work or not.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:09 PM   #115
SoCoNoHa
2.7L

Fav Mod: Anything custom
Trader Rating: (1)

I did the exact same thing for my turbo coolant fittings, no issues running a water hose right over the turbine housing.

Last edited by SoCoNoHa; 08-20-2019 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: Turbine not turning
SoCoNoHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:10 AM   #116
LYH45
2.2L

So next update. I did buy the waterpump, but didn't get round to installing it due to leaving the thermostat and housing up in Sydney. I also sold the old front subframe to a guy who wants to do an LS swap in a wrx, I'm sceptical about it but don't care much as it's sold and gone.

I was at the wreckers and picked up a VA WRX boot lid badge. So that'll nicely replace the shitty standard one that has seen better days. Image with it sitting nicely in the half done grill.

I figured I'd show a photo of the plastic welding going on above. The dark outline is because I forgot to file the paint off.

So that's been kinda keeping me busy on the weekdays. Still working on it slowly but surely.

On the weekend I decided to install the radio. Sidekick making sure I'm doing it properly

Old stock unit. Not a bad item when working properly. This one wasn't though.

Installed in the recommended location. Not really happy with the fitment and the volume knob is in a bad position there.

About an hour with a saw and a file to do this on both sides.

Which allowed me to move it forward about 8mm to the next mounting holes.

I've tested the head unit and it works great. I've had to order an adapter to connect the antenna which arrived today and still need to figure out where to put the microphone. But such a worthwhile update to the car.

Where I'm hording my broken parts :'( There's a bonnet, two tailgates and a tow bar that are all junk now

After the radio install I added the missing clamps to the intercooler piping. Everything works and we have proper boost now. As it's got no BOV it has VL Commodore spec turbo flutter. I did try and upload a video to Imgur but I don't think it can be hosted. I figured I'd add an "aerial shot" of the engine bay now that it's all done (except for the air box and minor adjustments).

And I finally made a start on the dreaded air box. It doesn't look the greatest, definitely not up to Bad Obsession Motorsport standards but it's the first mock-up to see what I could actually fit there. And despite what it looks like there's a couple of hours work in this so far.

I finally have a lead on a exhaust so hopefully I can pick that up as it seems no one wants to sell exhausts for the B4's. There's a 50/50 chance I'll be home on the weekend. If I am there's plenty of things to do,

The list is:
Make airbox
Paint rear brakes and wheel wells
Remove front seats to clean them and carpet under,
Replace waterpump
Clearance heatshield against dump pipe
Find ECU no.
Adjust oil drain hose
Add mic and antenna adapter to radio
Replace lights in gauge cluster
Modify front and rear bumpers
Modify front crash bar (maybe)
Paint underside of bonnet
Finish grill
Figure out how to remove rear bump stops
and probably more that I've forgotten

If I'm not back there, then the list will have to wait. Despite what the list looks like, I'm starting to feel like I'm in the tail end of the project. All I need is an exhaust, wheels, and a tune and this thing is ready for the street (in theory). Of course there's also paint but that isn't essential to the car driving. So it feels kind weird. Also it feels like not much progress is happening because of the tiny little things that are being done that aren't of note, but they have to be done.

Anyway thanks for reading,
Luke
Old 08-28-2019, 10:45 AM   #117
bue car

Fav Mod: Which car?
Trader Rating: (174)

Love it!
Old 08-28-2019, 02:36 PM   #118
crjohnson
2.0L

Dont worry about that list, just take it for a drive and upload a video! If you have any spare coin, I bought an AEM 30-0300 wideband gauge for $227 off carmods on ebay, bargain! works awesome too. AFR's look safe as with the 560cc injectors and project lambda software, now i need to pull my finger out and bolt the turbo on!

Last edited by crjohnson; 08-28-2019 at 02:46 PM..
Old 08-28-2019, 06:34 PM   #119
LYH45
2.2L

Quote:
Dont worry about that list, just take it for a drive and upload a video!
I wish. I don't have any wheels that clear the brakes atm because of the spec b rotors otherwise I would.
Quote:
If you have any spare coin, I bought an AEM 30-0300 wideband gauge for $227 off carmods on ebay, bargain! works awesome too.
Funnily enough I've had that gauge on my eBay wish list for a while. I'll hoepfully get one of those once I've got a set of wheels and bought the project lambda software. Definitely want one for tuning.
Quote:
AFR's look safe as with the 560cc injectors and project lambda software, now i need to pull my finger out and bolt the turbo on!
Yeah you do. I can't be the only NA-T Outback in Australia. You should create a journal here as I'd be keen to see your progress and I'm sure other would too.

Did you have to adjust the fuel map table to keep it in a safe afr? (obviously excluding the scaling for the injectors)
Old 08-28-2019, 09:23 PM   #120
crjohnson
2.0L

I played around with the project lambda software (and using dads wideband sensor) ages ago when the stock injectors were in. I had to up the VE a fair bit above 5000RPM. now its pretty good. Setting some safe timing figures when on boost is what I'm a little worried about