So next update. I did buy the waterpump, but didn't get round to installing it due to leaving the thermostat and housing up in Sydney. I also sold the old front subframe to a guy who wants to do an LS swap in a wrx, I'm sceptical about it but don't care much as it's sold and gone.
I was at the wreckers and picked up a VA WRX boot lid badge. So that'll nicely replace the shitty standard one that has seen better days. Image with it sitting nicely in the half done grill.
I figured I'd show a photo of the plastic welding going on above. The dark outline is because I forgot to file the paint off.
So that's been kinda keeping me busy on the weekdays. Still working on it slowly but surely.
On the weekend I decided to install the radio. Sidekick making sure I'm doing it properly
Old stock unit. Not a bad item when working properly. This one wasn't though.
Installed in the recommended location. Not really happy with the fitment and the volume knob is in a bad position there.
About an hour with a saw and a file to do this on both sides.
Which allowed me to move it forward about 8mm to the next mounting holes.
I've tested the head unit and it works great. I've had to order an adapter to connect the antenna which arrived today and still need to figure out where to put the microphone. But such a worthwhile update to the car.
Where I'm hording my broken parts :'( There's a bonnet, two tailgates and a tow bar that are all junk now
After the radio install I added the missing clamps to the intercooler piping. Everything works and we have proper boost now. As it's got no BOV it has VL Commodore spec turbo flutter. I did try and upload a video to Imgur but I don't think it can be hosted. I figured I'd add an "aerial shot" of the engine bay now that it's all done (except for the air box and minor adjustments).
And I finally made a start on the dreaded air box. It doesn't look the greatest, definitely not up to Bad Obsession Motorsport standards but it's the first mock-up to see what I could actually fit there. And despite what it looks like there's a couple of hours work in this so far.
I finally have a lead on a exhaust so hopefully I can pick that up as it seems no one wants to sell exhausts for the B4's. There's a 50/50 chance I'll be home on the weekend. If I am there's plenty of things to do,
The list is:
Paint rear brakes and wheel wells
Remove front seats to clean them and carpet under,
Clearance heatshield against dump pipe
Find ECU no.
Adjust oil drain hose
Add mic and antenna adapter to radio
Replace lights in gauge cluster
Modify front and rear bumpers
Modify front crash bar (maybe)
Paint underside of bonnet
Figure out how to remove rear bump stops
and probably more that I've forgotten
If I'm not back there, then the list will have to wait. Despite what the list looks like, I'm starting to feel like I'm in the tail end of the project. All I need is an exhaust, wheels, and a tune and this thing is ready for the street (in theory). Of course there's also paint but that isn't essential to the car driving. So it feels kind weird. Also it feels like not much progress is happening because of the tiny little things that are being done that aren't of note, but they have to be done.
Anyway thanks for reading,