Luke's BH9 Outback - EJ251 Turbo - Page 11 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Luke's BH9 Outback - EJ251 Turbo

Old 07-28-2019, 07:28 AM   #101
LYH45
2.2L

Fav Mod: WRX 5 Spokes
Trader Rating: (0)

So here is the update from the past two weeks. Last weekend I wasn't up to much so I just worked on the filter fitment. Below is an image of the sleeve to join the filter to the silicone joiner. You can see the line where I've welded the PVC together.

I also cut down the silicone joiner just for better fitment. Next step is air box when I stop putting off making it.

That was it for that weekend. Like I said it was a slow one.

During the week I had the idea to try out some wheels and colours on Photoshop. They're not great but given that I only started learning it last week they aren't the worst. Below are the different variations I've tried so far. Honestly I thought I'd like the single colour more than I do. My favorite is the two tone with the CE28's. Opinions would be great and I'd love to hear suggestions on what things to try.

This weekend I finally picked up only of the next pieces of the puzzle on Saturday afternoon. Got this strapped to the top of the trusty little Impreza, made driving an hour on the highway interesting. On the note of the GF8, I should be settling privately this week for the damages to the car which means it won't become a repairable write-off which was likely given the value. I'll fix it myself when that's done as I still need a daily and am rather fond of the nugget.

So on Sunday after servicing the Impreza I got to work cleaning and painting the hinges and surrounding engine bay. I also did some touch-up work on the firewall as I may or may not have scratched it a while back with pipe.

Bonnet fitted. I've found both this bonnet and the old one aren't a fan of latching without a lot of force so I think the latch might be a bit bent. I have a simple solution to that so stay tuned.

Also found out today that the Liberty/Legacy grills are shallower than the outbacks. This leaves around a 1cm gap below which won't do. I'm thinking I'll get an outback grill and modify it to be similar to a S401 grill with the black mesh behind.

I then just removed the grill as this car hasn't had a grill for 6 months, so why should it start now. As standard one bolt was seized and it too about 30 minutes to get it off.

I then cut the stock hood insulation of the old bonnet to suit this one. It's not perfect so I may source a genuine one at some point but it works for now.

The last thing for the day was the wire in the brake light on the wing. The car I pulled it off had the trusty twist and tape method so I picked up a factory brake light plug off another outback and wired that in.

I definitely shouldn't work in wiring with the kinda quality. Pic isn't the best as it was pitch black by this point.

I have no idea if it works so I'll test it next week or whenever I work on the car next.

That's all for now so thanks for reading
Luke
LYH45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2019, 02:29 PM   #102
bue car

Fav Mod: Which car?
Trader Rating: (173)

Surprised you got the hood TPS moved over so clean. I usually give up on the clips and rip / toss in trash. I'm not worried about the heat on paint since the sun does worse where I am all day long.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:56 PM   #103
SoCoNoHa
2.7L

Fav Mod: Anything custom
Trader Rating: (1)

Yeaaaa, to reiterate: Yours is way way waaaaay cleaner than mine, clearly more thought out. Love the filter location.

The grill thing is weird. I took an outback grill from an H6 sedan and slapped it right on my LGT when I did my first H6 swap. Same generation as yours too, must be an Australian thing.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:54 PM   #104
LYH45
2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by bue car View Post
Surprised you got the hood TPS moved over so clean. I usually give up on the clips and rip / toss in trash. I'm not worried about the heat on paint since the sun does worse where I am all day long.
Yeah I was lucky the guy gave me a bunch of extra clips as I destroyed about half of the clips. The old one had the integrity of a wet paper bag.

Yeah in Australia we get similar sun too. My Impreza's paint has faded a bit on the hood even with the liner but the roof is way worse and that's just from the sun alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCoNoHa View Post
Yeaaaa, to reiterate: Yours is way way waaaaay cleaner than mine, clearly more thought out. Love the filter location.
Cheer man. I appreciate it. Yeah that filter was a bitch to get in a decent place, and worse to come I have to get it to fit in an airbox to get it legally registered.
Quote:
The grill thing is weird. I took an outback grill from an H6 sedan and slapped it right on my LGT when I did my first H6 swap. Same generation as yours too, must be an Australian thing.
Yeah I posted in a Gen 3 Legacy/Liberty/Outback and apparently for whatever reason Subaru made the Rev D outback bumper sit lower in the grill area. Why??? I have no idea. I spotted an outback grill at the wreckers so I'll probably grab that this weekend to modify to be similar to a S401 grill.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:10 AM   #105
SoCoNoHa
2.7L

Fav Mod: Anything custom
Trader Rating: (1)

Oh yeah, meant to ask you, why don't you use a factory N/A airbox and panel filter? It's worked great for me.

Edit: looked at your pics again and answered my own question. Looks like the intercooler piping is in the way.

Last edited by SoCoNoHa; 07-29-2019 at 07:13 AM..
SoCoNoHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:19 AM   #106
LYH45
2.2L

Quote:
Oh yeah, meant to ask you, why don't you use a factory N/A airbox and panel filter? It's worked great for me.

Edit: looked at your pics again and answered my own question. Looks like the intercooler piping is in the way.
Haha yeah. Plus this car had the air filter up where a top mount would sit and the resonator where the older air boxes sit (such as in the gen 2 Legacy's and 1st gen Impreza's).

If I could have used a factory air box I would have in a heartbeat
Old 08-15-2019, 02:09 AM   #107
LYH45
2.2L

So I was gonna update this Tuesday night but due to the forum being down it's a bit late. So I'm writing the update for this car first as this will be a hell of a lot quicker than the other one will be.

So after the whole debacle with grill I picked up an outback grill for $29. I started to hack it up and I've started to cut and (plastic) weld it back together. Below is a photo of the three stages so far. Stock, center cut out and filed and welded.

Here's a photo of the Legacy (Liberty) grill vs the Outback one showing the different height.

Here it is placed on the car is its half done form. You can see they're way less of a gap. God the headlights need to be refinished.

Closer view. Most of the thick setback section has been cut so it's not so deep now.

Finally finished the intercooler piping. I still need clamps for the new piece but I'm going to see if I can get one or two joins welded to clean it up a bit and leave me with the clamps needed.

Another shot. I also replaced the radiator cap with one that had the sticker not ripped.

I've also realised that I haven't got many full photo shots of the car so here's two. Feat. my Impreza.

I also managed to pick up the exact radio I was after for this car second hand for $200 AU ($135 US). It's a Sony XAV-AX100 and it's in basically new condition. They're a super clean design that looks almost factory. It has Apple CarPlay, Bluetooth, Wireless Phone and Reversing camera, which is loads better than the current one which blows a fuse if you want to do anything other than play a cassette.

It came with the harness to attached to an 02 SF5 Forester which I think has the same connector as the Outback so hopefully it's plug and play.

I also went and spoke to the guy who'll be painting the car and he is thinking around mid January as it's generally about 45 degrees so it'll be super easy to paint/bake. That gives me a deadline to get it on the road by then.

Edit: I also forgot to add I did have it running with boost as I had to hold the un-clamped piece in place with my hand. I've also been thing of switching the seats to the AUDM/JDM Bugeye WRX wagon seats. Anyone got any input of leather seats vs cloth.

Thanks for reading,
Luke

Last edited by LYH45; 08-15-2019 at 03:42 AM..
Old 08-15-2019, 09:47 AM   #108
silverton
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: turrrrrbbbbooooo

I remember eyeballing that exact unit for my impreza! I like the cloth seats in my RS better than the leather seats in my GT. The GT is overall more comfortable, but the RS feels like it holds you better. Also, leather is slippery and cloth is not
Old 08-16-2019, 07:22 AM   #109
LYH45
2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverton View Post
I remember eyeballing that exact unit for my impreza! I like the cloth seats in my RS better than the leather seats in my GT. The GT is overall more comfortable, but the RS feels like it holds you better. Also, leather is slippery and cloth is not
Yeah it's not a cut and dry answer. I figure I'll put them up for sale and if I can get what I want for them then I go with WRX seats, if not them stay with the leather. It's a win win either way I guess.
Old 08-18-2019, 04:42 PM   #110
crjohnson
2.0L

hey mate do you have a pic of the bottom coolant fitting on your turbo? Just wondering where it points to, I'm trying to figure out what to do with mine (possibly cut, rotate and reweld)
crjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote