Luke's BH9 Outback - EJ251 Turbo - Page 10 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Luke's BH9 Outback - EJ251 Turbo

Old 06-11-2019, 02:27 PM   #91
bue car

Fav Mod: Which car?
Trader Rating: (174)

Clean front design!

Why not clock the turbo and shorten the piping?
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 05:23 PM   #92
LYH45
2.2L

Fav Mod: WRX 5 Spokes
Trader Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bue car View Post
Clean front design!
Cheers man
Quote:
Why not clock the turbo and shorten the piping?
I guess I didn't think of that while I was doing the piping. With the hot side going to the passenger side (your driver side) I would have to switch the routing and for a td04 it's probably not worth it with it hitting boost so early anyway.
LYH45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:39 AM   #93
silverton
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: turrrrrbbbbooooo

I see in my EM that I'm building 1-3psi as early as 1750-2000 rpm.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:52 AM   #94
LYH45
2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverton View Post
I see in my EM that I'm building 1-3psi as early as 1750-2000 rpm.
Is that with a ej25 and a TD04?

Got a bit more done this weekend. Only really got to work on it for an afternoon because of the rain which sucked but what can you do. Started with modifying the fuel lines because they were hard up an intercooler pipe causing one of them to slightly kink. All I did was bend the bracket to allow for the lines to sit higher. Still using the stock bolting point.

I then trimmed the front bumper with an angle grinder again to get it to fit the intercooler better. After that I mad the two brackets that link the core support to the bottom of the intercooler. These probably weren't needed as there was barely any play in the intercooler but I figured it was worth doing plus it allowed me to extend them to hold the bumper in place.

Photo of newly trimmed bumper with brackets in place. I really need to get a new bonnet like yesterday.

The fitment is the best I've seen for a front mount on this chassis as they usually hang way low so I'm pretty happy with it. You can see a comparison in the next photo of the original fitment and how it looks as of now. Before (top) there was a shitty gap and I was thinking that I'd have to get a taller intercooler but that's all been fixed.

Earlier in the week I loaded up Project Lamdba and man this all goes over my head. I can see why people just use tuners. Now I know that I'll have to change the airflow scalar when I get the new MAP sensor but apart from that I'm lost.

I know that I'll have to increase fuel but which category do I change it in. Base, transition or power mode (I assume that warmup and deceleration aren't it). If anyone knows, or even has screenshots of what they've done to add fuel that would be great. On the topic of this program is there a good website or book I can use to learn how to understand and tune using it. Idk maybe there's a tuning for dummies or something. I'm just a bit lost and I have no background knowledge on this at all and it would be great to get a starting point.

Anyway thanks for reading
Luke
Old 06-16-2019, 07:42 AM   #95
silverton
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: turrrrrbbbbooooo

Yeah, it's a 2.5. my td04 had some port work done to it so I don't know if that helps.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:30 PM   #96
bue car

Nice fitment on the FMIC
Old 07-07-2019, 06:05 AM   #97
LYH45
2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverton View Post
Yeah, it's a 2.5. my td04 had some port work done to it so I don't know if that helps.
I'd guess it would make a slight difference, but it's good to know anyway.
Quote:
Nice fitment on the FMIC
Thanks, I'm glad it looks so good after how much time I've spent worrying and working on it.

Been a little while since I've updated this. Not to much to document as a lot of its boring so here's the highlights. I went to the wreckers and bought - a passenger rear door outer kick panel as the old one was broken, front fender liners for both sides as the old ones were done, new passenger mirror and a few interior bits. I replaced the kick panel, and installed the fender liner. The passenger side will need some work as it clashes with an intercooler pipe.

I replaced both mirrors for reasons you'll see below. I already had this one hanging around from a previous parts run. This side had a canoe fall on it.

Dunno what happened to this side but it had a lot of silicone in it. Sadly the replacement has a small crack on the outer edge. I'll try and plastic weld it back together and if that doesn't work I'll try and swap the shell with the old one.

I also replaced a dash vent as it was broken but that was a bit of a slow weekend.

This weekend I focused on the intake. I bought Super Cheap Autos finest (cheapest) filter as it was the smallest. I wasted a lot of the day trying to figure out how to get the 3" filter on to the 2.25" pipe, only to come up with a solution, and then have it fail immediately. I think I have a clever solution that will be shown when parts arrive.

Here was the original mock-up with the filter. You can see that the top section of piping still needed to be worked out.

I then decided that I didn't like that and here is the result as of the end of the next day . This after about 4 hours of thinking in the cold and another 2 hours of drinking tea to warm back up. I stole a 90 degree piece from the hot side to see if it would work and it seems it will.

And here's the final result with the filter in place.

I still need a few bits to complete it but it fits, so yay. You can see where I stole the 90 degree piece from on the right.

I'm annoyed that it's taking so long at the moment, but its hard with it being 5 degrees outside and then having to wait for parts that you didn't even think you'd even need. So hopefully I'll have some more progress soon enough as more parts have been ordered.

Thanks for reading,
Luke
Old 07-07-2019, 11:55 AM   #98
bue car

How bad is the pinch in front of the turbo though? I had to remove all of that and got a proper 90* turbo

Old 07-16-2019, 05:24 AM   #99
LYH45
2.2L

Quote:
How bad is the pinch in front of the turbo though? I had to remove all of that and got a proper 90* turbo

It's actually not that bad to be honest. I'd don't think it'll do any harm but if I ever upgrade turbos I'd look at one with a 90 degree bend

So sad news is that my GF8 was rear ended on the weekend and is probably going to be totaled. So not much work happened on the car. I'm looking at the positives and that is that I can grab a few good parts off it. The list as it stands it the steering wheel and front end links. It also allows me to swap the lift kit over to the GF8 and de-lift this car in the front at least. So in an overall shitty situation but I'm trying hard to find the positives.

So all I really did is just work on the intake. I was going to complete the intercooler piping but I got sent the wrong part. So all it did to attached the silicone adapter to the filter was create a sleeve out of a bit of PVC pipe. I'll grab some more photos at a later point but this is all I have.

So that's all for now. Not much else will probably happen for a while because of the car situation and it being so damn cold but I'll keep trying.

Luke
Old 07-16-2019, 01:20 PM   #100
bue car

: [