Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

The Pikachu build thread.

18K views 51 replies 17 participants last post by  SoCoNoHa 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi there, this is my Car. Pikachu Aka:The yellow monster.

This car has seen a lot of changes in the years i have had it. and the journey continues.

mods so far?

-full cosmetic restoration with original decals and emblems.
-rust treatment.
-Upgraded front brakes from a 06 Legacy Gt,rebuilt rear brakes.
-Kakimoto Titanium/stainless exhaust .
-Koyo Aluminum radiator.
-Complete set of Silicone coolant hoses.
-Greddy BOV
-Blitz air filter.
-Hks Accessory belts.
-Defi Boost gauge.
-Beefed up oil pump.
-A/c serviced and regassed.
-Oem floor mats in the exact factory pattern.
-Oem Gear knob.
-GDB Yellow/rainbow Fog lights.
-Dem loud JDM horns.
-IPF Glow lights. that glow green after you turn your lights off.(looks evil AF)
-Super rare "Syms by Enkei" rims, with Advan tires.

stuff in boxes?

-Complete set of Dixcel type M brake pads,(f/r) and Dixcel slotted discs for the front.
- Complete set of OEM Door seals, and trunk seal.
-HKS Timing belt,new waterpump,and tensioners.
-Fresher OEM momo steering wheel.
-OEM Shift boot.
-Nos fog light switch.
-Carozerria / pioneer head unit
-stuff i forgot i have. . .

next?
-install the stuff in boxes. lol
-a complete engine gasket kit.
-new OEM Clutch.
-rear speakers.
-Sti optional foot pedals/foot rest.
-lightly used period correct Recaro or Bride seat.
-Decent Coilovers and suspension goodies.

then?
get this bad boy back on the road. :sunny:

This is MY car, the one that will always stay.
the build is aimed at modern performance,and period correct cosmetics. like a brand new car back in 2000. i will be using it for circuit, and drag. quick but not pushed too far. as it is, this car is stupid fast. i love this car.

thanks for checking it out. :D

-Tym.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
thanks guys, here are some pics of the journey until now.

after purchase, with wheels i had floating around.

Yeah, bought cash in hand. for $800. the shop garbage can. it was filled with trash. and nobody cared for it. but destiny? had other ideas.

the interior after a clean. as i got it.

the brakes. .

The fronts were also refurbed. with new paint and Wako's silicone grease.
here are the rears.

more work to do. .
the body?

getting it nice.

painting.

the reveal?

Now to get serious.

#7 · (Edited)
haha, no. that is a pic of the factory Gc8 subaru stamped brakes. compared to the much larger Tokico made BP5 Legacy GT brakes. before i started to swap them.
once more:

you can see the difference in surface area.
for a direct fit setup? Brilliant value. and the Legacy being a heavier car? they are a fantastic budget big brake upgrade. not Brembo's, but with good pads,slotted discs,braided lines,and race spec brake fluid? just as good. for half the price.

the best part? they match the rear calipers.
front:

rear:

a very stealthy upgrade. you'll see more when i get around to installing the parts i got to complete the setup. i'm expecting strong performance from these. and am already impressed.

Thanks hot tub rob. :)

#10 · (Edited)
Evo 4?

Thanks man, The color is "Cashmere Yellow" and was an original option for Sti models from Version 4. through to Version 6. it is an exceedingly rare color.

according to Subaru, there were around 2,000 V6 Sti wagons, 2,000 Sti v6 Sedans , 2,000 V6 "-doors. 2,000 Type RA's. . and so on.

with limited record keeping on exact numbers per color. my car was determined to be one of less than 700 Sti V6 sedans in Cashmere yellow.
that's "is it matching numbers?" level rare.
lol no, it's not matching numbers. but it will stay true to it's rarity. which drives the whole "Period correct" obsessiveness. :help:

hopefully have it out of the snow tomorrow.

and OMG!!!!!! The builds all you other guys are doing? amazing. i'm going to have to step up my game. you guys let me know that too much is never enough. i promise to try to have a car you deem worthy. a time capsule that hauls ass.

thanks. so glad i found this place. :projectsti.com:

#16 ·
Nice work on ditching the 4 pots for LGT brakes. The only thing the 4 pots have going for them is they look better and they fit under 16" wheels, that's about it. If you ever swap to 5x114.3 hubs the Tribeca rotor is the same as the LGT but drilled for 5x114.3. LGT/Tribeca brakes are totally the stealth BBK on the cheap.

#22 · (Edited)
Haha. if only.. :lol:

Yay, it started right up.

And crawled out under its own power.

Also gained access to the toolbox.

:help: Help me. I am addicted to buying tools..

Had to hold back today,but check these out :

Wera tools. Ratchet 10mm.and the Wera 3/8 drive.

you just pop the drive square to which way you want to go. meaning it can have a simpler,stronger gear set in it. pretty neat.
And these will make changing the clutch so much easier.

An extra long articulated ratchet wrench. For those pesky transmission bolts. Definitely need some of these .
With a lot of work to do, scouting some tools could be a good thing.

#26 ·
Haha, it's one of those things that gets overlooked. but a necessary upgrade.
and for an Sti? it had to be pink. Blue wasn't going to cut it.

might have to put one in the wife's car. . . . . :color:

Been thinking, perhaps a post of all the stuff that is wrong with my car?
It's actually needing a LOT of repairs.

and the stuff i am looking at. or want to buy for the car. ie: the things i drool over when shopping for parts. -hey, might even buy some.

this thread isn't all the best pictures of my car. it's the journey.

so join me, on an erratic fun filled, some times alcohol powered ride into Brap.

#30 · (Edited)
had a bit of time to go outside, with no access to the tap? gave it a bucket wash.

and to assess where to start. what's good,what's bad.
but this? is the ugly. :facepalm:

The rust rears it's head. that will have to be done when i have the front bumper replaced and sideskirts refreshed. it still sucks though.

The bad? i can't drive it. :biglaugh:

-But the good? Today i ordered some Brake lines from Project Mu. so the brake upgrade will be complete. of course, in green. :D

#33 · (Edited)
Hey folks, been busy with work. but have tried to get into it when i can.
but for the most part? Parts shopping. to get geared up for Saturdays in spring.:D

I have ordered:
A complete Gasket kit. New OE STi Clutch kit,New brake bleed nipples,and brake hose to strut clips.Also i have been scouring "Up Garage" and Yahoo Auctions for the parts i need. but more on that later.

To get busy on the interior, i found that while i was painting another car? i lost my no.2 screwdriver. so? Treated myself to a new one.

Big KTC fan. good tools.

Anyway,
On Monday, a couple came over for lunch, and to help me with the car for a few hours. we got the car up on stands. and good lord,

These jack points have seen better days. they will need repair. (hammered out,rust treated, and painted) it will happen.
but there is some good stuff under here.

The Kakimoto Stainless/Titanium exhaust, and Cusco body braces.
so, there is some hope for this car yet. . .

The Dude helped me with the wheels,

and the lady helped me in the interior.

new shift boot really lifts the interior.

The shift knob was replaced a while ago, and i have a fresher steering wheel (pictured) with the fresh floor mats? this will be a nice place to sit. -can't wait to get it all done and detailed for you guys.

yup. the discs and struts are toast.

so i prepared these Discs last year, and earlier this week picked up the Project Mu hoses, and SpeedMaster Brake fluid. i normally use Wako's. but will try it out.

While swapping out the lines, i noticed that they use factory clips to mount to the strut. and the mounts are all out of shape. also, the brake nipples are rounded from people not using the right tools. so i headed down to the Subaru parts desk, and the kind folks ordered me some new ones. a complete set, front and rear, should make bleeding the brakes so much easier. but the struts?
Still searching. i couldn't get the brakes done in one day, but there is always Saturday.. . . . .
Still shopping for struts.

Also, before letting the car down? i went to the hardware store, and got a slotted rubber mound for the jack, dubbed Ol' Squeaky. so no more crunch.

Stay tuned. more fun stuff is in the works.
thanks for reading.

#35 ·
Yaaaaa... I guess 'rip your face off' is a considerable exaggeration, but they must still be plenty fast for a street car! I'm sure they're faster than my 1.8/3.90 anyway...:letitout:
And besides, who cares about top speed? I'm all about those g's baby!
Id be interested to know how much power you're putting down with those bits Razor... ahh I'll just check your journal.

YellowMonster, I'm rather envious you have friends that will help you wrench. It looks like a fun time. Guess I'll have to start going to meets and whatnot (like I wasn't already planning on it.)

I've always wanted to visit The Land of the Rising Sun. If I do, I'm looking you up! I'd love to check your car out in person.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.