SoCoNoHa's Flavor of the Week - Page 8 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
SoCoNoHa's Flavor of the Week
View Poll Results: What engine should I put in my car?
EJ18 Block/EJ18 Heads 0 0%
EJ18 Block/EJ22T Heads 1 8.33%
EJ22 Block/EJ22T Heads 6 50.00%
EJ22 Block/EJ25D Heads 2 16.67%
EJ25 Block/EJ22T Heads 1 8.33%
EZ30D 3 25.00%
Other 3 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2018, 12:09 PM   #71
SoCoNoHa
2.7L

Fav Mod: Anything custom
Trader Rating: (1)

Last night I changed my spark plugs out. Initially I had bought NGK BKR8EIX's, because that's what Joejoe69 used and I've more or less emulated his build. So that's what I've been running.
However, the plugs that were already in the 22t heads I got were BKR5EIX's. 3 ranges colder.

Screw it, I need all the cooling I can get, right?

So far, so good. No misfire and she purrs really smooth.

I also reworked my bov recirc hose because it kept popping a leak allowing unmetered air in, causing my car to run like crap.

This part snakes behind the throttle body

Here's the other end, Ultra Black seals it to the turbo inlet very well.

Here's the whole shebang, needs some cleaning and organizing but there it is.
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2018, 02:19 AM   #72
SoCoNoHa
2.7L

Yesterday I swapped in a new flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, and throw-out/pilot bearings. Normally I'd yank the motor and trans as one and break them apart outside of the car, and that's how I'm doing it from now on!

I dropped the trans out the bottom just to avoid disconnecting any coolant lines... what a nightmare. At least on a rusty old Suub like mine. Anyway, on to the fun.

Started by removing the intercooler/BOV/wiring/vacuum lines and anything else that would stop me from reaching down in and plucking the old clutch out. Then crawled under to drop the exhaust, and see such lovely sights as;

Well I guess that rear differential is staying. I had also wanted to swap in a 4.11 trans I have, but maybe another time. I knew I didn't have all weekend and it was about all I could do just to get the driveshaft cover off.

Wouldn't have happened without THIS beauty, five feet of 'motivation'

Driveshaft out

Now I can slide the trans back... I think! She was stuck good, but enough yanking and swearing plus a couple thin blade screwdrivers prevailed.

Ugh, looks kinda juicy in there... Pressure plate, clutch, and flywheel next. I've definitely pulled worse looking clutches out, but if it slips, it's gotta go.

Even the throw-out bearing spun and sounded fine, maybe I'll just keep it, just in case...don't judge me!

Ok, now that the flywheel is outta the way, let's take a look:

Yup, definitely a leaking oil separator plate. Good thing I planned ahead ...not. I cleaned up the plate and the mating surfaces then liberally applied Ultra Black. That stuff is awesome.

Welp, now I can start putting it all back together. Ain't it a shame that they paint the pressure plates all these vibrant colors, and no one gets to see it?

Reassembly was MOSTLY a cakewalk, with the exception of landing the trans back on the two lower alignment dowels AND sliding the bellhousing past the turbine housing. That took everything I had and almost bested me. Finally after about two hours of raising, lowering, pushing, pulling, pounding, and praying:

Got it! After that, all I did was pump the jack under the transmission twice, and everything LITERALLY slid right together. Never seen anything like it. I was actually cheering.

So I reinstalled everything, super excited to be on the home stretch, went to start it up, and it sounds like the timing belt has suddenly skipped a tooth. Impossible. Didn't touch it. In fact, everything is EXACTLY the same except the clutch. Which I do need to adjust a little. ****** is heavy and grabs RIGHT off the floor.

First on the list is clean my throttle body. I did take a quick rag to it mid swap, and I'm thinking I spread some gunk around and messed up the idle position, or dirtied up the TPS... idk. If that doesn't do it, I'll pop off the timing cover and see what's what. Then I'll reinstall the stock injectors and see if it just has to 're-learn' it's idle. Honestly it seems like a vacuum leak, except I'm pretty sure everything is connected tightly, and the AFR's are too rich. Maybe an injector is stuck open?

Anybody know if that transmission-to-chassis ground could throw my idle? That got snapped in the process, as usual.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:30 AM   #73
SoCoNoHa
2.7L

Timing was out. I'm guessing while I was torquing down the new flywheel I somehow spun the crank suddenly enough to skip timing.

....so what's gonna happen when I hit boost??

Apparently nothing, cars ruining fine now, clutch feels great. Getting used to the weight of the pressure plate will be fun.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:56 PM   #74
FryphaX
Premium Member

Fav Mod: Registration!
Trader Rating: (4)

I would recommend picking up one of the metal oil separator plate kits and keeping it on the shelf for next time the motor comes out. The plastic plates are prone to cracking and breaking. Definitely worthwhile to swap out for metal.

eBay - Page Not Found
Old 05-16-2018, 02:27 PM   #75
SoCoNoHa
2.7L

That's not a bad idea at all FryphaX, I may have to get a couple at the rate I'm going.

The ej18 is a boss, and has garnered my utmost respect. Unfortunately my carelessness is killing it. My headgaskets are leaking so badly I've stopped driving it, and if I won't drive it you know it's bad. It's my fault of course for using used HG's. They had only seen a couple hundred miles, but I suppose that's enough.

Anyway, the 1.8t has to come out, for a reseal at the very least, and I'm working on another frankenmotor right now. I'm hoping to have it in the car this weekend... I'll keep the 1.8t of course, but idk if it'll go back into this particular coupe. If this new motor doesn't last (and I'm using new gaskets of course) then it's straight to the 6 cylinder.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:12 AM   #76
SoCoNoHa
2.7L

Default EJ22D anyone?

Earlier this weekend I installed my intercooler sprayer reservoir in the trunk and ran the hose up to nozzles in the intercooler shroud. Fits like a charm. Haven't run the electrical yet.

The real fun happened yesterday.

At this point I couldn't put it off anymore...

That was a little scary but it turned out pretty well in the end. Used to be N/A heads, now they're TURBO heads!

A truly impressive combination, I'd recommend 2.2 heads and boost to anyone with an ej18 looking for more power. Just don't be like me. USE NEW HEADGASKETS for Pete's sake.

I had to transfer some parts from my 1.8 to the new engine. Wanted to use my parallel fueling setup to relocate the stock FPR but the rails are mounted differently. EJ18 rails have the bolts to the outside and a greater space in between the bolts, so they can't just be flipped. That's ok, modification was simple enough.

Then there's the wonderful EGR. Both cars had it, but only the 1.8 had a temp sensor, at least that I can find. I suppose I'll hang it down by the exhaust so it stays warm.

EJ18 manifold

EJ25D manifold

A.C. compressor bracket had to switch too, 1.8 on the right.

Not pictured: I used the throttle body from the 1.8 because of its built in IACV and because it looked like to 2.5 throttle linkage would've interfered with my BOV. This leaves a gang hole in the side of the 25D manifold where the IACV used to be. Gotta make a block off plate for it soon... I'm using a piece of 3/4" moulding (yes, wood) for now.
I'm deeply ashamed of myself and would like to sincerely apologize to everyone in the community.

More pics and startup video to come.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:17 PM   #77
SoCoNoHa
2.7L

It's a tight fit.

So far, pretty good. My idle is incredibly lean, I'm seeing 19/20 to 1 AFR's and I'm not thrilled about it. It's either my backwoods blockoff plate or the timing is off... I guess with four cams it's twice as likely.
Anything other than idle is AWESOME! The dual cam heads kinda have a sound, it just sounds a little meaner at WOT than previous SOHC engines I've heard. Maybe that's why the boxer 6's sound so good. It has lots more grunt off the line. That's hugely noticeable. It seems like this engine would be plenty peppy without a turbo.
And way less boost is as fast or faster, I'm more surprised by the magnitude of the difference. At 11.5 psi the 1.8b/2.2h actually felt solidly fast, but at 8 psi the 2.2b/2.5h feels faster. There's more power with less boost sooner in the rpm range. The power band feels considerably more useable.

There's one thing that's really weird, I'll get a video of it soon. Under 'high' boost (relatively speaking, of course) there's a VERY peculiar sound from the engine bay. I think it sounds like a tiny man screaming his head off. It's actually pretty comical, but I'm still anxious to figure it out. Gotta be a small boost leak somewhere. But how do I find it??

Edit: Here's a video of the sound. I'm actually gonna miss that little guy when I fix the leak. Eventually.
Funny Sounding Boost Leak - YouTube

P.S. sorry for the garbage pics, my phone has forgotten how to focus.

Last edited by SoCoNoHa; 05-21-2018 at 03:29 AM..
SoCoNoHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:33 PM   #78
Flat4awd
3.3L

Fav Mod: Owl's Auto JDM
Trader Rating: (8)

Incredible progress.
Flat4awd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:27 AM   #79
SoCoNoHa
2.7L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat4awd View Post
Incredible progress.
Thanks dude!
Old 05-21-2018, 04:31 AM   #80
96Imprezadent
Mobile Diagnosis Guy

Car: 97 Impreza L
Fav Mod: 4.11 5spd swap
Trader Rating: (23)

Glad to see someone boosting ej18's still. Looks like you moved to a 22 now? My old L with the ej18/22 head combo was great but also suffered from the same head gasket issues. Keep up the good work.