Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Jinba Ittai

27K views 301 replies 23 participants last post by  scruff3333 
#1 · (Edited)
Here's my attempt at a journal of my gf Lwag.
It will take me a bit to figure out a time line, I've got pics from the beginning.

Most currant pic:

Updated 8/8/2020

Week after purchased:

Attachments

See less See more
#29 ·
Slow progress.

New 06 wrx act streetlite flywheel and exedy clutch kit.

And starting to come back together

Dirty but I'll worry about that after I know it runs. Just waiting on fluids to showup. Wanna make sure the clutch engages before the rest goes together.
Then I'll see if I can't figure out how to fool the ecu into thinking it's a 5mt now.

#30 · (Edited)
Got you, fam.

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f72/t225751-how-wire-automatic-manual-swap.html

Did the swap years ago, with minor hiccups. This post summed up the fix pretty neatly.

Ninja edit: Any idea why your engine developed rod knock? I rebuilt my engine myself a while back, and went about a year (year and a half?) before I developed rod knock.

It may have to do that I did not rebuild it well. But then again, it may have to do with the fact that automatic engines do not have the timing belt protector plate, and the frequent loading/unloading may have caused it to skip a tooth.

#31 ·
Thanks for the link. That's one of about 7-8 writeups that I've read over n over, the last few months. Im farely confident ill get it.
As far as the engine knocking im not real sure yet. I've got a couple possibilities rattling around in the back of my head. When I get the car running, ill take the time to strip it down and find out for sure.

#35 · (Edited)
Haven't had much time lately, but I managed to sneak a few min today. Got fluids in rearend, front diff, n engine. I also got most of everything back together. Torqued all ass end bolts, axle nuts, cam, n crank bolt double checked. Need to throw the exhaust back on. Just gonna reinstall the stock crap just to get it back on the road. Then just trick the auto ecu. an rap up a few odds n ends to get it rolling under it's own power. Then I'll start upgrading. Can't wait.

#40 ·
Hey man! Cool LWAG. I wish mine was white. I'd offer to trade but I am invested in mine now :p When are you gonna throw the new wheels on?

Also I see you are also swapping from auto to manual! I just used my old speed sensor for ease of use, wired the NSS to a ground and to the ECU Pin (I'm swapping at the same time remember?) but I haven't decided exactly how to handle all the extra wiring and the reverse lights. What'd you do for yours? I'm thinking about cutting and splicing right in the engine bay for the reverse lights. But I wish I could delete these two big ugly plugs hanging out under my intercooler...

#41 ·
Thanks. Im gonna take the wheels for powder coating before so it may be a while.
As for reverse light I just ordered a new male plug from iwire for it. Once I see it everything works, I'll go thru and get rid of the unnecessary cluster of shit.
I believe you can delete the larger plug and just hide it all in the remaining harness. Then I'll make a plug n play jumper for the nss and reverse lights, for eaze of removal later.
My auto had 2 vss as it's a phll. So I couldn't just pull it and switch. My NSA goes to my clutch pedal and back is all. There's about 4 or 5 ways iv read to wire it up. I just liked this one.

#42 ·
Ahhhh yes I forgot they are different. The 98's VSS 2 Goes straight to the cluster and then the cluster feeds the ECU. I think they changed this later.

Ahh so you have to be in neutral OR clutch in to start? I just ran the Manual Starter relay ONLY to the clutch so I can't start in neutral... maybe I'll change that at some point if I get a remote start :p.

What color are you going for the wheels?

#43 ·
It still goes to the cluster and ecu there's just different style plugs on the tran. Now it's a 3 wire plug. As far as starting in neutral or clutch in, that's my goal. I haven't had time to test it out.

Wheels I'm thinkin white. Plus I'm still on the wall for tires I want.

#45 · (Edited)
You may be able to pull the vss out of your old tran and switch. 98 seems like most could. If not I ran my to the signal pin on my TCU. An also the power and ground from there also. On mine the B55 plug pin 13 was it. Yours may be pin 81. They differ by year.

Check out dirtcheapdaily on YouTube. I think his was a 98 legacy. He did it alittle different,but same affect.

#47 ·
On the EJ22 MY98 Auto the speed sensor wire is Pin 83 and is green black.

For my WRX swap I spliced that wire to B134 Pin 1 and then just out the two wire speed sensor into the new transmission and other than that the wiring is untouched. All works as expected! But I'm sure there are a few ways to accomplish the same thing.

i will say I did not thino about chsnging the sensor until the transmission was already installed and that made for a whole lot of fun when it broke trying to uninstall it.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

#48 ·
So couple "cel" popped. No surprise.

New ground on ecu mt/auto identifier took care of the 1722.

Couple of things to try for speed sensor codes left.
Went ahead and ordered a dash harness anyway, figured I could use it and send the auto one to keener with the 06 sti harness I also picked up a while back. ?

Other than that cars is so much more fun to drive with the 2.5 and manual. The 06 wrx clutch and new 06 wrx act streetlite are very smooth. Only put maybe 40 miles at best. (No odometer). I'm bout ready to start in on the suspension as soon as I get this wiring figured out. So looking forward to that.