MY00 RSTi Open light rally build - Page 6 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
MY00 RSTi Open light rally build

Old 09-26-2018, 12:27 PM   #51
CornCob
2.0L

Car: 00 RSTi, 90 Miata, 71 240z
Trader Rating: (0)

Most of the interior is out of the car and as well as the harness. I'm going to be pulling the engine and trans today and then tomorrow starts the fun times of removing the sound deadening

I also got another video up of the last drive in the car as well as teaching my wife how to do some handbrake turns

CornCob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2018, 01:03 PM   #52
bue car

Fav Mod: Which car?
Trader Rating: (173)

I did not do any stages myself, however, the new owner has done a few, car has held up beautifully.

You should trade your door cards to someone who has some more beat up, before you ruin yours
Old 10-16-2018, 04:18 PM   #53
CornCob
2.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by bue car View Post
I did not do any stages myself, however, the new owner has done a few, car has held up beautifully.

You should trade your door cards to someone who has some more beat up, before you ruin yours
Yeah I'll probably try and find someone local that needs some before cutting these, but it's going to be awhile until I'm at that point.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:22 PM   #54
CornCob
2.0L

I haven't had much time in the last couple of weeks to work on the car due to work but I've managed to strip all the interior, the engine/trans, and removed all the sound deadening.

I didn't get many pictures of it all but if you want to follow along the videos are up on my channel.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:34 PM   #55
bue car

You should push the cage out into the doors for safety, not build the cage around the door cards per say. So you may be tossing them sooner than you think.

Also a heat gun, scraper and wipe up up residue with Goof Off! is much cheaper than watching your money go up in smoke, literally

Dry ice on my first car sucked, next 3 after that I did heat.

Keep it up though!!
Old 11-09-2018, 05:10 AM   #56
CornCob
2.0L

Quote:
You should push the cage out into the doors for safety, not build the cage around the door cards per say. So you may be tossing them sooner than you think.

Also a heat gun, scraper and wipe up up residue with Goof Off! is much cheaper than watching your money go up in smoke, literally

Dry ice on my first car sucked, next 3 after that I did heat.

Keep it up though!!
Yeah I wouldn't change anything on the cage for something like interior pieces, more than likely I'll end up making door cards out of some HDPE sheets.

I'll probably be using heat in the future as well. The Dry ice removed the large sections fairly easily and was only around 30 dollars worth, but I had to go through with heat and clean up all the residue left behind afterwards anyway so it didn't make much of a difference in the end.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:28 AM   #57
bue car

Awesome.

Lucy, my coupe, goes to the shop tomorrow for a full cage. My 3rd cage
Old 11-12-2018, 03:32 PM   #58
CornCob
2.0L

It's been awhile since I've done an update on here but things have been slowly moving along.

Got the car mostly stitch welded between the front and rear strut towers. I still want to do more when I can get a chance to get under the car.

And I did do videos if anyone cares about those

Subaru GC8 Stage Rally Build EP. 4: Stitch Welding the Chassis - YouTube

SEAM Welding the Engine Bay - Subaru GC8 Rally Car Build Ep. 8 - YouTube

Next on the agenda was the remove all the glass

I still need to remove the rear window and after that I'm planning on taking the roof off the car so I'll have an easier time welding the upper bars.
I also cut out the stock seat mounts which you can kind of see in that picture.
Subaru GC8 Stage Rally Build EP. 5: Cutting out the Stock Seat Mounts - YouTube

I definitely got a litttle carried away with the spot weld cutter and had to fill in quite a few holes the next day after I went completely through the floor a few times.

Then I decided to start on the pin stand mounts

I only got the fronts done since I need to take care of some rust in the rear portion of the rocker panel before I can make the mounts in the rear.

I went a little overkill on them with 1.5" .095 tubes, but after reading some stories of bent pins from guys that went with 1" tube and .75" pins I decided to go bigger and this is what I had laying around. 1.25" tube should fit in there well with the .060 clearance too, but I'll figure that out when I actually go and make the stands.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:45 PM   #59
CornCob
2.0L

Then I mounted and welded up the reinforcements plates I got from rally.build.

Thinking about it after the fact I should have just stitch welded them in place and left about an inch of un-welded area every few inches. Anyway the welds look pretty terrible on them, I'm still trying to get the hang of welding thick plate to this 20g steel.... or I guess that's the best excuse I can come up with lol.

Currently I only got the fronts in since I want to pull the rear glass for better access before I attempt those.

And today I began the cage construction with the main hoop.

I'm happy with how it turned out. I wanted it to be as tight to the chassis as possible so in the event I wreck it maybe there will be less damage . It could have been a little tighter, but as long as I can get around it all to weld it I'm happy with it.

The cage is just sitting in there for now, I'm going to start on the rear boxes tomorrow so I can tack it into place.

Last edited by CornCob; 11-12-2018 at 03:47 PM..
Old 11-12-2018, 03:46 PM   #60
CornCob
2.0L

Quote:
Awesome.

Lucy, my coupe, goes to the shop tomorrow for a full cage. My 3rd cage
Nice!
It'll be cool to see progress on the build, I got a lot out of going through your first build on Dirally.