Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

careercadaver’s L wagon...she might just pull through

23K views 140 replies 17 participants last post by  careercadaver 
#1 · (Edited)
Here’s her most recent!

She’s coming along. Lots to finish and bolt on. Then the actual fun begins. Can’t wait to get into the mechanicals on this one...aesthetics will do while I make some decisions.

Up To Date(ish) Mod list:

Exterior:

V5/6 Front Bumper Cover
V5/6 Hood
Crystal Headlights
V6 STi Grille
JDM Smooth Rear Bumper Cover
JDM LW Rear Bumper Beam
JDM Rear Spats
JDM GF8 Tail Lights
JDM GF8 Roof Rails
V7 STi Wheels w/ Dunlop’s
Grimmspeed Antenna Delete
Amazon Front Lip

Interior:

JDM GF8 F&R Seats
JDM GF8 F&R Door Cards
WRX Black Carpet
Pioneer 8200NEX (coming soon)
Focal Utopia FA165w Components
Focal 400/4 Amp

Suspension & Brakes:

GC8 Showa Adjustable Height Suspension
GC8 STi Pink Springs
06 STi Front Subframe
06 STi Steering Rack
06 STi Rear Subframe

L&E GC/GD Steering Knuckle
GD STi Aluminum Front LCA’s
STi Aluminum Rear Trailing Arms
STi F&R Endlinks
GC8 Rear Hubs
Perrin Rear Sway Bar Stout Mounts

Gold STi Brembo Calipers F&R
Rear Caliper Adapters
DBA Rotors F&R
StopTech SS Brake Lines
RA STi Proportioning Valve

Fueling:
03 WRX Gas Tank
AEM340lph

Engine:

JDM ej205 w/ AVCS
Custom Vf48 w/ 11 Fin Billet Wheel
KOYO VH090302
v4 STi Slimline Fans

Driveline:

JDM 4.44 5MT
South Bend HD
GD STi F&R Subframes
TS Rear Subframe Lockdown Kit
GroupN Trans Mount
STi Rear Shifter Bushing
Torque Solutions Front Shifter Bushing
Torque Solutions Pivot Bushing

Not yet installed:

SVX Brake Master Cylinder
GS Master Cylinder Brace
RS Sideskirts
Mid & Upper Wing
Nardi Steering Wheel
Prodrive Shift Knob
20mm F&R Sway Bars
Full RS Dash & Console
Rain Guards
JDM Aero Guards

I’ll update pics as soon as she’s ready to roll out.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Day 1:

Picked up a 93L. One owner out of FL. It’s a 1.8L autotragic but we’ll get to that later.

Lots of research still going on regarding which direction to take the engine. I’d like an H6 but this may end up boosted depending on how the next year pans out. Planning for a fun reliable DD.

Here’s how she looked the day I bought her.

Here’s the underwhelming bay shot [emoji6]

...and the interior, which will be replaced as i can find bits. I hate the Old Man Tan.

Just under 98k on her.

From here she actually cleaned up pretty well. Paint was chipping near the rear hatch and there were a few bumps and bruises.

Picked up a donor RS to convert the car to a newer look.

Had the interior out of the L instantly. I assumed I could swap the newer dash with the RS but being a phase one engine I don’t have the option of powering the car off the RS ECU. So that will get swapped along with the engine.

Grabbed these to go back in. The Old Man Tan seats had nothing in the area of bolster support. I have a lot of the RS black indoor but this interior is going to drive me batty until it’s uniform.

Trimmed the L front bumper beam to accommodate the V4 bumper but I’ll be watching for the correct support to show up locally.

Picked up a BNIB Bumper Cover from the stealership. This one got me to the paint.

JDM tails and rear bumper...

From there she went straight to paint...and that was July.

See less See more
#99 ·
Another productive day! Found a GD Gas tank, 06 STi rear Subframe and slave/master set-up. It was a drive but well worth it!

Dirty GD Tank...

Cleaner GD Tank

Since everything had already been apart I had the tank out in about three hours.

15/12 Gallon plus the better baffling...I couldn’t resist. Ordered an AEM 340 log fuel pump. Should be here one day next week. Need to sort the wiring and what not for the tank and get this back together!

Till then...

#101 ·
Ran my harness for the WRX tank today. Almost everything matched up less the evap purge solenoid on the 02. I’ll have to sort this one later. Kept the WRX sending unit so there’s a little more research to be done in my end. I pulled the wiring from the WRX side and wires the plug along with retailing the harness. Had to extend one or two and swap a pin or two at the pump connector.

AEM 340 is in...

Tank is back in place. Need to get the fuel lines connected and research my inevitable evap issue. Iwire should have my harness around the 8th. I’m hoping for a 2-3wk turn around but time will tell. I’d love to have this pieced together waiting for an engine by the end of the month.

#105 ·
More progress...slowly but surely. WRX Pedal set and clutch slave and master cylinder.

I have the dash reinforcement beam in place. Planning to get the column in this afternoon and start cleaning off this undercoating...I’ve tried quite a few things and not much seems to break it down. Gas worked on the lines pretty well but what a mess.

#123 · (Edited)

We’ve got some snow outside so I quickly slid everything into the garage. Broke apart engine and trans to make the install a bit simpler by myself. Kinda glad I did...she’s been sitting for awhile.

I’m local to South Bend Clutch. Had them resurface the flywheel and press the pilot bearing while I did a little shopping.

SBend HD. Just a beefed up Exedy w/ OE feel.

Trans and rear diff are installed. Deciding how much to pull off the old engine the engine goes in the bay. Swapping out engine mounts for USDM style, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.